Model Cars Magazine Forum

HPI Guy 1985 Chevy Camaro Z28 Build

Daddyfink

Maybe a point of interest, but something I noticed when he was showing the Air Cleaner setup. The Hot Setup for the Z-28 would have been the Tuned-Port Injection system, but there was a little-known option called the 305 Hi Output. The Air Cleaner here is the one used on that engine. This engine was supposed to have more of a Corvette spec Cam and freer flowing heads and exhaust and a larger Quadra Jet Carb. At the time this came out I was working at a Chevrolet Dealership and often drove Camaros as a Demo. I got the first one in and took it for a Demo. I have no actual performance figures to offer, but according to my person Butt Dynameter it would run with the TPI Z-28 with no problem. The RPM would happen far quicker and not run out of power at the higher RPMs the way that the TPI would. The point is if anyone is put off by the Carb. instead of thew TPI don't be. There are plenty of TPI setups out there from the Revell Monte Carlo SS kit. By the way the TPI engine was never put in the Monte Carlo anyway. 

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, espo said:

Maybe a point of interest, but something I noticed when he was showing the Air Cleaner setup. The Hot Setup for the Z-28 would have been the Tuned-Port Injection system, but there was a little-known option called the 305 Hi Output. The Air Cleaner here is the one used on that engine. This engine was supposed to have more of a Corvette spec Cam and freer flowing heads and exhaust and a larger Quadra Jet Carb. At the time this came out I was working at a Chevrolet Dealership and often drove Camaros as a Demo. I got the first one in and took it for a Demo. I have no actual performance figures to offer, but according to my person Butt Dynameter it would run with the TPI Z-28 with no problem. The RPM would happen far quicker and not run out of power at the higher RPMs the way that the TPI would. The point is if anyone is put off by the Carb. instead of thew TPI don't be. There are plenty of TPI setups out there from the Revell Monte Carlo SS kit. By the way the TPI engine was never put in the Monte Carlo anyway. 

The other thing that differed between the regular 305 and the HO is the carb wasn't a regular Quadrajet, it was an electronic QJ. 

BTW, don't follow his painting instructions if you want to build a factory stock 3rd gen E-body, he's wrong on a lot of things and wrong on what some other things actually are. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Can-Con said:

BTW, don't follow his painting instructions if you want to build a factory stock 3rd gen E-body, he's wrong on a lot of things and wrong on what some other things actually are. 

That's par for the course with Hpi guy. I've seen some of his stuff where it was put together wrong, etc. I don't understand the following he has. 99% of his stuff comes off as half done & amateurish.

• Like 6

Not wanting to take this thread into a new, off-topic direction regarding the model building skills of Hpi guy, I believe most of his followers, myself included, are there because he does an excellent job of providing good visual information and descriptions on newly released kits. Yes, he might be wrong in some of his interpretations or how he might build a kit, but I know I'm guilty of those same things myself.  I also know I wouldn't call his work 1/2-done and/or amateurish.

Getting somewhat back on-topic, I agree with Jim B. that the IROC Z-28 was THE car to have in the mid/late-80's, and I'm a Mustang guy myself!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, '70 Grande said:

Not wanting to take this thread into a new, off-topic direction regarding the model building skills of Hpi guy, I believe most of his followers, myself included, are there because he does an excellent job of providing good visual information and descriptions on newly released kits. Yes, he might be wrong in some of his interpretations or how he might build a kit, but I know I'm guilty of those same things myself.  I also know I wouldn't call his work 1/2-done and/or amateurish.

This^^^^^^

Back to the car. I think I remember Tom Gaffney or Larry Greenberg in a kit review many years ago, telling us that the Air Cleaner in this kit was for a Euro Spec Camaro. I like Espo's story better, especially since he was there at the time driving the car. I just know that this  kit is head and shoulders above the '81 Camaro that HPI Guy built a couple months ago. Both the Detail and Sophistication rival a glue kit in many ways, while the '81 is just a lump.

2 hours ago, '70 Grande said:

Getting somewhat back on-topic, I agree with Jim B. that the IROC Z-28 was THE car to have in the mid/late-80's, and I'm a Mustang guy myself!

true. He does get some stuff wrong but he shows you exactly what's in the kit including what the decals look like so that's very helpful.

• Like 3

IIRC, the 1985 Chevy Camaro Z28 is originally a Monogram kit, c.1983. I could swear that it was originally issued as a 1982 (complete with the [dreadful] Crossfire fuel injection), then as the Simon & Simon & Garfunkel  car.

I, too, seem to recall that de facto 'COPO' ordering form available for the Camaro from c.1985-c.1988; and that Hot Rod or Car Craft listed the RPO's for the final drive ratios (3.55 and 3.73), suspension & handling, and Corvette (350) engine parts for the (305) Camaro **.

So many confounding induction and intake combos back then -- electronic carburetors, IMO, are akin to a diesel-powered mousetrap -- depending upon locale (e.g., California emissions v. 49 state) primarily.

** The Camaro's biggest engine was the 305 during this time. Other than the rare 1985 1/2 IROC with the TPI 350, the 305 was it until c.1990.

Edited by 1972coronet

I bought one of the first 1982 Z28's City Chevy got in. It was a carb version but loaded otherwise. ONLY Chevy I ever bought. I liked the car. T Tops off in the summer time just me and the wife. But then that Z28 cause a kid to come along.....Bye Z28! I'd buy one today if I ever find a decent one. 

CAMAROZ284-vi.jpg

• Like 3

I'm enjoying the discussion and everyone's Camaro experiences. I only offered the Air Cleaner observation since the Hip guy didn't seem to know the difference and that does not surprise me since very few ever know of the option or even cared. I also enjoy watching his videos and the way he displays all the components of a featured kit. I use this mainly to see if the kit is something I would want to build as I'm sure many others due as well. There are always obscure details on many cars that no one could possibly know everything. As for the painting issues as Steve (CanCon) mentioned there was several ways that Chevrolet did the painted trim on the Z-28 along with many other cars from that era. Often there was some obscure trim option that would change the appearance of the car even within the Z-28 line. Depending on how accurate a builder is trying to be the best bet would be to do research on what you are trying to build and even double check that. Something some may not realize about the Dealers Order Bank. The ordered car could be ordered with what GM called a nonconforming color option. The person placing the order just had to initial the order authorizing the change. This usually had to do with say the painted pin stripe down the side of the car and the order book would say that body color could be built with usually one or two different colors. When ordering if the dealer wanted something a little different, he would put in the two-digit order code for the color desired and initial the order. The same would go for the lower body panels in some cases. At a time when I was part of my job and was ordering a small group of Demos, I got a little creative on a few to give them a little more eye appeal. The Caprice I ordered for my driver was all Black exterior with a Sunroof but without the vinyl roof option. The interior was also black cloth. Factory spec. was either a white or red body stripe. I ordered it with a bright blue stripe. I thought it looked great and so did the guy who bought it a couple of months later. So, if you don't care if your model is a perfect dead-on color correct recreation then just build it the way it looks best to you and enjoy it.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, espo said:

I'm enjoying the discussion and everyone's Camaro experiences. I only offered the Air Cleaner observation since the Hip guy didn't seem to know the difference and that does not surprise me since very few ever know of the option or even cared. I also enjoy watching his videos and the way he displays all the components of a featured kit. I use this mainly to see if the kit is something I would want to build as I'm sure many others due as well. There are always obscure details on many cars that no one could possibly know everything. As for the painting issues as Steve (CanCon) mentioned there was several ways that Chevrolet did the painted trim on the Z-28 along with many other cars from that era. Often there was some obscure trim option that would change the appearance of the car even within the Z-28 line. Depending on how accurate a builder is trying to be the best bet would be to do research on what you are trying to build and even double check that. Something some may not realize about the Dealers Order Bank. The ordered car could be ordered with what GM called a nonconforming color option. The person placing the order just had to initial the order authorizing the change. This usually had to do with say the painted pin stripe down the side of the car and the order book would say that body color could be built with usually one or two different colors. When ordering if the dealer wanted something a little different, he would put in the two-digit order code for the color desired and initial the order. The same would go for the lower body panels in some cases. At a time when I was part of my job and was ordering a small group of Demos, I got a little creative on a few to give them a little more eye appeal. The Caprice I ordered for my driver was all Black exterior with a Sunroof but without the vinyl roof option. The interior was also black cloth. Factory spec. was either a white or red body stripe. I ordered it with a bright blue stripe. I thought it looked great and so did the guy who bought it a couple of months later. So, if you don't care if your model is a perfect dead-on color correct recreation then just build it the way it looks best to you and enjoy it.  

Oh, I wasn't referring to anything about the trim, David. What I was talking about was him saying they always had black under the hood,, wrong, all 3rd gens were body color under the hood. He painted what he must think is a separate front subframe black, wrong, again, all welded up with the rest of the unibody, still body color and what he thought was the gas tank is actually the trunk floor, again, body color.

Can't really blame him for most of those mistakes though. Probably does too many builds in the run of a month to do any research on them.  And I wouldn't know about that stuff either if I didn't own an '85 F-body myself. 

Edited by Can-Con
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Oh, I wasn't referring to anything about the trim, David. What I was talking about was him saying they always had black under the hood,, wrong, all 3rd gens were body color under the hood. He painted what he must think is a separate front subframe black, wrong, again, all welded up with the rest of the unibody, still body color and what he thought was the gas tank is actually the trunk floor, again, body color.

Can't really blame him for most of those mistakes though. Probably does too many builds in the run of a month to do any research on them.  And I wouldn't know about that stuff either if I didn't own an '85 F-body myself. 

Yeah, as soon as he hit paint, I was thinking, maybe I should send him some sort of rule of thumb, but then again, the show isn't about being accurate, he paints as he goes along, and most weekend modelers probably do too, also the low threshold makes it clear that it's ok to build for yourself and that not everything has to be turned into a rat race. sit down relax and build a kit, is what his show is all about.

And for the hobby this can't be bad. ;)

Cheers

• Like 1

On 1/7/2023 at 1:41 PM, Jim B said:

I remember the IROC Z28 was THE car to get when I was in High School.  Needless to say, I didn't have one.

This kit appears to be based off the original ‘83 Monogram kit, that was then updated, IMO unfortunately, to the 85 “E” Camaro. I always thought the 83 kit looked very convincing.

The decal set is great with the new kit! You could probably build just about every color combo.

B41BE42A-8593-4717-BCCB-8D33E64256F4.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/10/2023 at 7:56 PM, Luc Janssens said:

Yeah, as soon as he hit paint, I was thinking, maybe I should send him some sort of rule of thumb, but then again, the show isn't about being accurate, he paints as he goes along, and most weekend modelers probably do too, also the low threshold makes it clear that it's ok to build for yourself and that not everything has to be turned into a rat race. sit down relax and build a kit, is what his show is all about.

And for the hobby this can't be bad. ;)

Cheers

This is why I like his videos so much. His constant emphasis on having fun, making a nice looking model and building for yourself is a great reminder to me about how I can best enjoy the hobby.

I am still in awe as to how he gets such good finishes from Rustoleum cans, I've had terrible luck with them and don't try any more. He has seriously excellent skills.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Merkur XR4Ti said:

I am still in awe as to how he gets such good finishes from Rustoleum cans, I've had terrible luck with them and don't try any more. He has seriously excellent skills.

Not to keep ragging on the guy but...I don't think the finishes are as good as they look. If you catch certain glimpses and angles, you'll see spots where the finishes aren't great. I've noticed a lot of hazing in some of his builds. And the photos that are taken and subsequently used by modelroundup don't allow you to zoom in and see some of this stuff. Yeah he does great with the tools he uses and I certainly understand part of his appeal, but I would caution that his finishes look good from afar but from up close, maybe not so much. I would be happy to be proven wrong, but the quality of the pictures showing the finished product and the video angles/lighting don't allow me to make a good conclusion. 

Fwiw, I think Chris has been clear with his mandate from the start, and he'd be the first to admit he's not building to win contests.

Situated as I am right between top modeling competency and the lowest levels of what's actually good, would I aim for my models to be better finished, and my reviews more critical?  Absolutely.

BUT, do I have ANY such video beyond a couple things in a private proof stage?  NNNNOPE.

Would I be anywhere near as productive as Chris? Nuh-uh.  If I ever retire, we'll see; but right now, no way.

If you want to see what's in the box and then get an idea how it goes together, HPI's the most prolific out there, and I find his videos plenty informative for those purposes.   Keeping my own counsel and research on finishing model kits, it doesn't bother me so much if Chris goes a little off book here and there with small accuracy concerns and a little orange peel. 

Imho, he does more than well enough to show you the potential of a kit, and that's no less than what he promises.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have said this a few times before in HPIGuy's defense, but once again, he is not, nor is he purporting to be, a master builder. His videos are not about that. There are a lot of other videos on YouTube specifically about building models, of all kinds, at incredible levels. He is giving you a "What's in the box" and a quick build so you can see it together and he can comment on how it goes together. I will give you that he is usually very "tactful" about saying something is bad, but he is also in the business of review and needs the companies on his side. I watch his videos and know by the end if I am buying or not. It's kind of like the hobby shop display models of old, only in a contemporary video format.😉

Edited by larman
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2023 at 7:55 PM, Hawk312 said:

This kit appears to be based off the original ‘83 Monogram kit, that was then updated, IMO unfortunately, to the 85 “E” Camaro. I always thought the 83 kit looked very convincing.

The decal set is great with the new kit! You could probably build just about every color combo.

B41BE42A-8593-4717-BCCB-8D33E64256F4.jpeg

I completely forgot about this Monogram ‘83 kit. I know this tooling was released as a “Simon & Simon” ‘82 Z/28, and later as a European export “Z/28 E” kit.

I also remember that the nose was never modified into the more rounded ‘85 nose, and that I’d like to find wheels and decals to create an IROC Z with this new release. 

1 hour ago, Dan Rosenello said:

I completely forgot about this Monogram ‘83 kit. I know this tooling was released as a “Simon & Simon” ‘82 Z/28, and later as a European export “Z/28 E” kit.

I also remember that the nose was never modified into the more rounded ‘85 nose, and that I’d like to find wheels and decals to create an IROC Z with this new release. 

I used this kit to build an IROC using the Pegasus wheels. The tires are from a 98 Corvette kit, IIRC. 

20200321_170425.jpg

20200321_171411.jpg

20200321_170247.jpg

• Like 8