Model Cars Magazine Forum

UPDATE w/more pix: c.1974 to 2015 builds - 1929 Model A Roadster on 1932 Ford Frame Highboy model cars

tim boyd

High guys and gals....seeing all the great hot-rod inspired work going on around here right now, I wanted to display my own family of '29 on '32 rails highboy roadsters.   Over the years I've posted images of a few of these, but not all.  So, just some summary/overall shots here of each applicable model.  Should you want to see more, you can view all the details at the link below.  Now, as my UK-based employees and vendors use to say all the time, "carry on"....    Best...TB -

Circa 1974: My first build of this genre.  Inspired by the Bill Burhnam original (his first one in yellow with 326 Pontiac) Highboy and built with instructions from Pat Ganahl's model car article in an early issue of Street Rodder mag.  1972 GM Bright Menthol Green metallic 1/1 scale Tempo Touch-Up Paint.   MPC Switchers 350 SBC underhood (yes, way before I knew better (smile)) with working oil pan drain bolt (it was a thing back then...) and opening trunk with plated tools and woodgrain panels inside.    

DSC 1031

DSC 1032

DSC 1034

DSC 1033

DSC 1049

Circa 1975:  A second highboy build, more closely copying the Pat Ganahl model car article and further inspired by Bud Bryan's 1/1 scale highboy as featured in the Rod and Custom Quarterly c. 1971/2.  Originally built with orange Ford Steelies/caps but soon changed to faux Kelsays as seen here.  AMT 1949 Merc Flathead block/exhaust manifolds with AMT 1950 Ford cylinder heads/intake/carbs.  Other than Pat's original build, this may have been one of the first-ever 1/25th scale A on Deuce Roadster models.  

DSC 0892

DSC 0868

DSC 0886

DSC 0882

DSC 0869

Circa 1978-7:  Started by my late model buddy Chuck Helppie and inspired by Boyd Coddington's earliest hot rod roadster (silver and white) builds....I repainted and finished this one mostly following Chuck's original ideas.   Pinto 4-banger underhood.  Color was 1973 Olds Blue Metallic, from 1/1 scale Touch-Up aerosols; salvagedbdecals from the first issue AMT '40 Willys/'32 Ford Custom double kit.  

DSC 0367

DSC 0370

DSC 0372

DSC 0373

DSC 0374

c. 1998 - Redo of the original Green highboy (a new model, not a rebuild of the original) using parts from Replicas and Miniatures of Maryland, c. 1996 Ford Taurus blue from a dealer touch-up brush bottle (thinned and airbrushed), Champ quick change out back, aand a proper (finally) Ford V8 underhood. 

DSC 1040

DSC 1041

DSC 1044

DSC 1045

DSC 1038

c. 2015 - Probably the first published box stock build of the then-new Revell '29A on '32 rails hot rod kit.  Body color was a then-new Tamiya Porsche 935-themed spray bomb. 

DSC 1133 

DSC 1137

DSC 1136

DSC 1138

DSC 1140

More images including underhood engines, interiors, underbody chassis shots, etc, at this link.

Thanks for looking!   TIM 

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 10

• tim boyd changed the title to UPDATE w/more pix: 1929 Model A Roadster on 1932 Ford Frame Highboy model car sampler....
  • tim boyd changed the title to UPDATE w/more pix: c.1974 to 2015 builds - 1929 Model A Roadster on 1932 Ford Frame Highboy model cars