Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anyone else charged for this free service?

So when I signed up for this it was told to be free. But soon after I signed up my card was charged 2.99 that went through. Then my card declined a 39.99 charge because it was over seas. I did some research and it's happened to other ppl too. 

Screenshot_20230113-151914.png

Screenshot_20230113-152055.png

4 minutes ago, Dave Ambrose said:

How did you get this? It shouldn't be from either the forum or main site. If it's an ad, we need to report them ASAP. 

theres some apps on the phone stores that do this, i know of it happening on sales sites as well

I have feeling that this thread is in the wrong section of the forum.  Discussions here are about the Model Cars Magazine.  Even if it is about a problem with the online forum or some adevert, it is still out of place.

4 hours ago, peteski said:

I have feeling that this thread is in the wrong section of the forum.  Discussions here are about the Model Cars Magazine.  Even if it is about a problem with the online forum or some adevert, it is still out of place.

I think it applys because this is what happened to me when I signed up for this model car forum. It ask for a credit card,I thought it was Incase someone had models for sale. So I gave my info. And right after I gave my info a 2.99 charge went through and a 39.99 charge was declined.  So I'm sorry if I've offended anyone. But I thought it was important to post as a warning. Thank you

On 1/13/2023 at 4:58 PM, Dave Ambrose said:

How did you get this? It shouldn't be from either the forum or main site. If it's an ad, we need to report them ASAP. 

It had to be from this model car forum.

17 minutes ago, Mike foster said:

are you using an odd browser or vpn instead of one of the common ones? or if on a computer have you run a malware check? i've never had to give any details except when i subscribed to the mag

22 hours ago, Mike foster said:

Mike, the Model Car Magazine Forum is a free service. You don't even have to be a subscriber to the Model Car Magazine.  Since you are posting under a name "Mike foster" you obviously were able to sign up and access the forum.  If somewhere along the sign-up process you were charged some fee by some strange sounding named' website, you got scammed.  I've been on this forum since 2014 and I don't recall anybody ever mentioning something like that. 

It would be helpful to the admins and moderators of this forum if you provided some more details of exactly  what happened and exactly when during the signup process.

And as I mentioned, you posted this in the wrong section of the forum.  This section is "This is for news and discussion about the magazine. We will be posting news and announcements, and you are welcome to ask questions."

There is another section for forum related questions or issues. it is http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/forum/47-general/

But the main goal here is to hopefully help you out (since you got scammed). Moderators will probably move this thread to the appropriate section.

Thanks for asking..I went"off topic" to try to address this in maybe the right section.  As I state in my new topic I start over with the model car magazine forum and I find a big green buttom saying START HERE...THREE SIMPLE STEPS and one of these steps is active your account.  This is where I went wrong. I've cleared thar issue up and I need to say that I didn't think this forum was a rip off or scam. I just wanted to see if anyone else had fallen for my mistake and to warn others.  Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.  

Screenshot_20230115-210201_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230115-210219_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230115-210336_Chrome.jpg

11 minutes ago, Mike foster said:

Thanks for asking..I went"off topic" to try to address this in maybe the right section.  As I state in my new topic I start over with the model car magazine forum and I find a big green buttom saying START HERE...THREE SIMPLE STEPS and one of these steps is active your account.  This is where I went wrong. I've cleared thar issue up and I need to say that I didn't think this forum was a rip off or scam. I just wanted to see if anyone else had fallen for my mistake and to warn others.  Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.  

Screenshot_20230115-210201_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230115-210219_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230115-210336_Chrome.jpg

I can see how it caught you out, thats an extremely sneaky ad deliberately trying to catch people out. You should be able to get your money back if you used a credit card or paypal. If you see that blue arrow and cross in the corner again it means its an ad.

3 minutes ago, Mike foster said:

Thanks I canceled my subscription and it said the 2.99 would be refunded and no further monthly charge. Well see....It's all good,I'm glad I found this forum

Glad you found the forum too! You might want to continue to keep a very close eye on your credit card statements. That green button was a trap, for sure.

I can see how a sneaky full page ad on a small smart phone screen can mess you up.  Now that I understand what happened I see that what you subscribed to was for "Movies, Music, Games, Audiobooks", not for access the the Model Cars forum.  I think part of the problem is that the same ad would likely not look the same on a regular (large) screen of a PC.  It would likely not get confused as a paid subscription to the forum.  It stinks that the advertisers are able to fool people like that, but I guess sneaky and underhanded advertising has been around for a long  time.

On 1/16/2023 at 6:17 PM, peteski said:

I can see how a sneaky full page ad on a small smart phone screen can mess you up.  Now that I understand what happened I see that what you subscribed to was for "Movies, Music, Games, Audiobooks", not for access the the Model Cars forum.  I think part of the problem is that the same ad would likely not look the same on a regular (large) screen of a PC.  It would likely not get confused as a paid subscription to the forum.  It stinks that the advertisers are able to fool people like that, but I guess sneaky and underhanded advertising has been around for a long  time.

Yep You got that right. Also not to embarrass the OP but in case somebody else is unaware, here are two of the many "red flags"  spacer.png