Model Cars Magazine Forum

Resin Parts suppliers that have closed?

The cottage model parts business is tough, and it looks like "Life" has claimed several recently.  

Who all has closed recently? And what is the current status?

AITM-- Closed but bought out by ST Supply?

B-n-L -- Closed?

Rookie Resins -- Closed?

Scenes Unlimited -- Closed?

Olsen Brothers -- Closed?

Are there any more? Any news on reopening or new owners?

Keystone had some excellent 5 and 10 hole Alcoa rims made out of real aluminum and a great line of 50's gasoline tankers ( duel movie types ) will be a major loss if not picked up again.  Rookie Resins also had some excellent never done before pieces that will be a major setback if lost forever.

Edited by leafsprings
  • Like 1

I don't believe that Olson Bros is closed, although Chris has been absent from the business for a few months. Hope that he gets things sorted out and is able to get back to his old self and crank out some product.

I think the thing to remember about resin stuff is that if you see something you like, buy it if you can because this thread has shown, there have been some great companies that have gone out of business.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikemodeler said:

I don't believe that Olson Bros is closed, although Chris has been absent from the business for a few months. Hope that he gets things sorted out and is able to get back to his old self and crank out some product.

I think the thing to remember about resin stuff is that if you see something you like, buy it if you can because this thread has shown, there have been some great companies that have gone out of business.

So true, I wanted some wheels from Scene, but was waiting until I start the kit, now not sure. I had been looking at some trailer bodies from Keystone and yes I was waiting. I did communicate with Keystone because I had an order in, hope it gets fulfilled. 

One thing to always think about when you see resin parts is that when you see something you like, want, or may want in the future, is to order it right away.  Resin part suppliers come and go as real life is more important than the business life.  Look at folks like Modelhaus who did this full time, but then decided to retire.  Two years worth of orders poured in within a month's time putting off retirement until all of those orders were filled.  And as usually happens, no one comes forward with the cash, or fortitude, to buy the business and take it over.  FYI  I still have some of the American Industrial Models castings unbuilt that I purchased from Jim Etter in the in early '80's.

A.J.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, maxwell48098 said:

One thing to always think about when you see resin parts is that when you see something you like, want, or may want in the future, is to order it right away.  Resin part suppliers come and go as real life is more important than the business life.  Look at folks like Modelhaus who did this full time, but then decided to retire.  Two years worth of orders poured in within a month's time putting off retirement until all of those orders were filled.  And as usually happens, no one comes forward with the cash, or fortitude, to buy the business and take it over.  FYI  I still have some of the American Industrial Models castings unbuilt that I purchased from Jim Etter in the in early '80's.

A.J.

They made nice Formula Desert Dogs.

On 1/17/2023 at 11:54 AM, maxwell48098 said:

A.J.

Are you sure about Modelhaus? I just ordered 2 sets of the smaller Desert dogs. Tried to order 3 sets but they said they were no longer available in that quantity.

I agree with maxwell48098, these cottage businesses come and go and if you want something from one of them buy the stuff right away when it's available because if you put it off and wait it can be too late....it has happened before and it will happen again.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mike C. said:

So, they're still in business then?

Chris Holthaus was casting the tires for a long time for Don and Carol. Once they finally retired and closed the business, he opened Modelhaus tires. All he offers is the product listed on his website.

• 1 month later...