Model Cars Magazine Forum

DESERT SCALE CLASSIC 19 - April 15, 2023

Danno

Phoenix, AZ - Saturday, April 15, 2023

Same GREAT location - North Phoenix Church, 5757 North Central Avenue (Building B), Phoenix, AZ 85012

8 am to 5 pm

Model Car Championship - 63 Critically Judged Awards - plus - 6 Master Awards

Display tables for previous winners, projects, other presentations not for judging

Swap Meet all day - dozens of vendors  -  (FYI - we still have some vendor tables available - contact us at DSC-HQ@cox.net)

Raffle all day

Free Make It and Take It for children 12 & Under

Categories, Rules, and Registration Information at http://desertscaleclassic.org  (desertscaleclassic.org)  -  updated periodically.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, speedy5963 said:

Glad I saw this, depending on a few other things going on, we are going to try and plan the trip out! 

Paul, hopefully we will see you at the show.  Curt will be there too, and him & I will have a couple of tables in the swap meet.

Steve A.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Leo64 said:

Paul, hopefully we will see you at the show.  Curt will be there too, and him & I will have a couple of tables in the swap meet.

Steve A.

Nice!  How have you been?  I was just asking Curt about you the other day at NNL, hope all is well!

On 1/23/2023 at 10:25 AM, speedy5963 said:

Nice!  How have you been?  I was just asking Curt about you the other day at NNL, hope all is well!

Hey Paul,

I'm getting by & trying to get used to living in AZ.  My knees don't like it too much when the winter snow starts up, and it is tough to do any model painting when it only gets to around mid 30's during the day and down into the low teens at night.  Attached is a pic from when the latest storm came through.  That's my Explorer outside my bedroom window.  I'm hoping to get a work area set up soon so I can get back into building some models.  I miss being able to attend the club meeting as there isn't any kind of model scene up in the Williams/Flagstaff area.

I hope you will be able to come to the Desert Scale Show, I think you will have a good time.

Steve A.

IMG_20230120_113100354.jpg

• Like 2

Oh man, I remember days like that when I was living up in Northern Nevada, makes the model building and painting difficult!   It would be nice to set up a remote option for some of you folks out of the area to keep in touch at the club meetings thru zoom or a similar avenue, I think a few others are interested in that if we could get it going!  It's great to hear from you and keep in touch, hopefully you'll keep seeing some of Bell, pops and my projects on here, trying to keep with the bench time!  

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I was really looking forward to being at the show, but unfortunately I can't make it this year.  I got pneumonia at the end of February and my doctor recommended that I not attend the show till I can get my immune system boosted back up.  My friend Curt Raitz will be there and have a table in the swap meet area.  I hope they have a really good turn out and someone takes lots of pics.  Hopefully I will be able to make the next show.

Steve A.

I'm posting a teaser shot now, still need to go through my pictures to post-edit.  I brought 8 models (all are on this forum in WIP and Under Glass) for the Display class, that were entered during the Wuhan Red Death virtual contests, so guys could see in the flesh.  I should have asked how many entries were set on the tables, guessing around 200.  Some categories were populated by good builds, some had almost or no entries such as the Diorama class.  This was just before the GSL show, so people who are on a budget picked the last show in Salt Lake.  It's a nice drive down from Prescott for me, saw some wildflowers but didn't stop to take pictures for fear my allergies would kick in.
IMG_6083.thumb.jpg.c540b200623ac00d3860499af8c0f5e4.jpg

Nice looking awards.  The top awards were different, hope whoever won those are on this forum.  This made up for me spacing out on officially entering the Cannonball community build which is why the 190SL was built.
IMG_6113.thumb.jpg.7e27e5a4fdcb5a715448f2fb2dd19eb5.jpg

Now I go back to a normal life, and clean my house, which is long overdue because of my obsessed/possessed mode lately.

• Like 2

Congrats on you hardware Kurt! I am looking forward to seeing the rest of your pics! I got too caught up with friends, chatting with folks while looking that the models  (I am actually in the background in a great shirt showing someone something in your pic above oddly enough.), perusing the vendor area, and thus forgot to take to many pics. I agree, it was another great time despite the lower turnout, but I too suspect it was primarily due to other closely timed events such as the upcoming GSL.

I look forward to this show every year, and I would suggest that anyone considering this show in the future give it a try. The site is in a large complex that hosts a weekly farmers market with lots of vendors and food trucks outside, one of the several buildings also has roller skating, pool tables, pig pong etc, so with wit kids or family members that are always looking for something to do while the modelers do their thing, have plenty of options.

Pere you suggestion Kurt, here is one of the other award styles. 

image.png.adf92bb2c19ae9d75d86a4d4bf62cab5.png

Edited by Modelbuilder Mark
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, blunc said:

Here are the pix I took at the show, it was great to catch up with old friends and "hang out with my people".

Here is a link to my Flickr album for this show:

Desert Scale Classic 19

Hi Mike!

Thanks for the great pictures, lotsa quality there! Been a few years since I visited Az, and I hope someday to attend your show. Bucket list item...

CT

• Like 1

A great show, even if it was a bit smaller than in years past. It will be much bigger next year, after the final GSL in two weeks - which will be amazing.

I entered two models, the Emberglo Mustang won first place in Factory Stock. I was also a vendor, sold lots of stuff and talked to lots of people; which is as much fun as selling stuff. We had great vendors in attendance, including Robert Burns of Too Many Projects, most of which were there attracting buyers. Quality is unreal, but we already knew that.

IMG_1789.thumb.jpeg.321209bf9754f2348c9b4104d7113824.jpeg

Dig that 1:16 scale '72 Country Squire, the ideal tow car for all of those 1/16 drag car kits.

IMG_1791.thumb.jpeg.61799d538d1fdffe49a37c9797d9b169.jpeg

IMG_1801.thumb.jpeg.e4ebfad653e50f2bb7144248c8129291.jpeg

IMG_1800.thumb.jpeg.d4cd15fcc3b6ff3be35783ed1263a1dc.jpeg

IMG_1788.thumb.jpeg.5a3c7b866af086dba7a84e74676ad946.jpeg

The man himself, (left) a super nice guy and quite knowledgeable in all things '70s luxobarge.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...