Model Cars Magazine Forum

The new phone book is here!

Lucius Molchany

1 hour ago, misterNNL said:

I wish we had one here. With everyone going to blah blah blah blah cell phones finding a phone number for someone is almost impossible.

Yeah, it takes maybe 5 to 30 seconds to find a number in a printed book.

Time how long it takes on a "device".

EDIT: I forgot...there are two generations lacking the concept of "alphabetical order".

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Haven’t used a print phone book in seems like 20 years.  I’ve received a couple in the last 6 years I’ve lived here, but they gather dust on top of the refrigerator.  A quaint artifact of the era of land lines. 

Yeah, just ask Siri, right?

I'll save you the effort...   Old Man Yells at Cloud | Know Your Meme

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, von Zipper said:

Remember when pay phones had a phone book...And the page you needed was always ripped out 

Yup, or the whole book was gone, or the handset was missing, or the coin slot was jammed...which just goes to show there's never been a shortage of human-shaped walking excrement.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
CLARITY
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Lucius Molchany said:

Surprised they even bother with a phone book anymore!IMG_20230118_124731465.thumb.jpg.b01df1830c33756878af2bd6c9c75d0a.jpg

Got one a couple weeks ago in the Sacramento metro area, and they seem to come almost every year. They are about 1/3 the footprint of a "real"  phone book and only about 3 inches thick. Never look at them, they go right in the recycling can. They aren't really a phone book, more like a collection of paid advertisements. The traditional phone books have been gone for a long time, and I don't miss them. I am an (semi) old phart like most of you, and I can find phone numbers and addresses quickly without filling the bottom kitchen drawer with yellow dyed wood pulp. The capitalist in me is intrigue by the idea that they can sell enough advertising to still print these mini phone books though.

3 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Yeah, just ask Siri, right?

I'll save you the effort...   Old Man Yells at Cloud | Know Your Meme

My wife has me saved in her cellphone as “Jim ❤️❤️”, with the hearts so she can see at an easy glance if it’s me who text/called her, or someone else.

When she uses Siri to call me (using voicedialling whilst driving or whatever) she has to say “call Jim Red Heart Red Heart”.

90% of the time, Siri replies “Calling Pizza Hut” 🙄😂

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Yeah, it takes maybe 5 to 30 seconds to find a number in a printed book.

Time how long it takes on a "device".

EDIT: I forgot...there are two generations lacking the concept of "alphabetical order".

100% BILL.  Even people I know that are tech heads take more time finding a number that even has an address right there already. 

One good thing is the relatives that don't have your address can't just look in the book to send out invites for the bring a present parties. 

• Like 1

Frankly, I think ALL printed books should be banned. That quaint ink-on-chopped-trees technology is so past-it. I mean if you can't read whatever you need to read on a digital device, you just need to crawl in a hole and die because you're too old anyway. Besides, who needs to actually read? Everything you could possibly need to know comes with, like, voices over the web, for god's sake. Reading is for people who think they're special or something. And nobody needs to understand this ancient "alphabetical order" junk. There are countless websites operating just fine, thank you, without it.

"Can't live in the past", you know. We're in the selfie-tik-tok-app-for-everything world now, and nobody needs to understand fractions or know where England is...or look at stupid words printed on stupid paper when you have "smart" right in the palm of your hand.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3