Model Cars Magazine Forum

SMS HyperChrome

Four light coats of SMS HyperChrome shot at 13psi.

Let dry overnight, and buffed off the excess pigment (dry spray) and cleared with Alclad II Aqua Clear. 

The decal looks crappy because it's like 26 years old!  😕 

Yeah, I should have printed new ones....but it's too late now.....LoL 

IMG_20230119_133233_304.jpg

57 minutes ago, Katsusauce said:

The subject is Tom Daniel's Red Baron Helmet.....

Looks good Derek but man, thats a lot work.  I have been like a lot of others a Molotow user.  Just got some GreenStuffWorld Chrome but havent used it yet.

If you don't mind me asking, where in Hawaii are you?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Looks good Derek but man, thats a lot work.  I have been like a lot of others a Molotow user.  Just got some GreenStuffWorld Chrome but havent used it yet.

If you don't mind me asking, where in Hawaii are you?

Honolulu, Oahu

3 hours ago, Shark said:

Not familiar with this product, where do you get it? I have had good and bad results with other chrome products and like your outcome.

Thanks, I got it here.....

https://icemancollections.com/products/hyperchrome-chrome-cold-tone-airbrush-ready-by-sms?_pos=1&_psq=sms&_ss=e&_v=1.0

Got to make sure your base is absolutely glossy for best results.

• Like 1

I've just started playing with this paint myself and I have found it to be a lot more user friendly than Alclad.  I could never get a consistent finish from Alclad as it seemed to go from not quite enough coverage to too much in no time at all but with SMS I have found that not only does it get to the chrome effect quicker and easier but it allows you to over do it without losing too much of that chrome effect. It also seems to be more durable than Alclad and I was able to run my finger on the test spoon without too much loss of shine. I will try to take some pics soon.

• Like 1

This chrome product looks to be very good.         Great job on refurbishing the chrome helmet Derek.

I have been using a UK made product C1 Polishing Powder. It can be buffed straight onto a gloss black for the best chrome effect, but with a bit of experimentation on other base colours different effects can be achieved. Once buffed  to a shine the surface is resilient to handling, unlike spray on chromes that do need to be sealed afterwards. 

C1 has a website and make some really nice resin trans kits too.

14 hours ago, Katsusauce said:

Honolulu, Oahu

My Day was career Army and was stationed at Fort Shafter when I was very young. I started school there and in later years took an assignment at Ft. DeRussy so I went to 9th grade and graduated from Roosevelt HS there.  So, I started school there and wound up graduating HS there also.

• Like 1

Interesting.  Alclad II Chrome uses hot solvents (like acetone) and it doesn't seem to have much binder (the clear stuff that holds the pigments).  SMS states on the bottle that it is alcohol solvent based.  Molotow Chrome is also alcohol-based. I wonder if SMS and Molotow are the same paint or at least related?

Derek, is there a possibility you could do a SMS vs. Molotow comparison (painting plastic spoons for the test)?  Does SMS specifically recommend glossy black base coat (like Alclad II does)?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, peteski said:

Interesting.  Alclad II Chrome uses hot solvents (like acetone) and it doesn't seem to have much binder (the clear stuff that holds the pigments).  SMS states on the bottle that it is alcohol solvent based.  Molotow Chrome is also alcohol-based. I wonder if SMS and Molotow are the same paint or at least related?

Derek, is there a possibility you could do a SMS vs. Molotow comparison (painting plastic spoons for the test)?  Does SMS specifically recommend glossy black base coat (like Alclad II does)?

Yes, SMS like Alclad II requires a high gloss finish as a base.

I'll do a comparison next week.

Stay tuned.

• Thanks 1

The thing that stands out with SMS chrome is its durability. Much better than most chrome paints. But it is not as chrome like as molotow. More like stainless steel - which is great for most car parts... I don't bother with the 2k clear, but do use enamel black and apply the sms chrome while the enamel is still wet/ tacky. Really binds in well.

• Like 1

Spaz stix and Kustom service durability is great and gives better results to my eye. But with all metal paints the parts should never really be touched once on the model regardless of durability.  A lot of "chromes" end up looking like polished aluminium.

Edited by Dpate

• 1 month later...

I tried several test shots with different chromes. SMS and Alclad always came out ok at best. They never quite looked good enough though.

But finally I gave the SMS Hyperchrome another attempt last night. I was very pleased with the results. I painted a valve cover, a grille shell, and some header tubes with Hyperchrome and I really like this stuff.

Sorry I can't post pics right now. Whenever I share pics of a kit I am not done with, I always jinx the build and it ends up in the trash. I'll mention Hyperchrome when I am done with the build and share the finished product on the board.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2023 at 2:07 PM, peteski said:

I wonder if SMS and Molotow are the same paint or at least related?

SMS is made right here in Australia while Motolow is made in Germany. 

It is good to see Australian products (SMS and DDA) have popped up on this forum after I’ve spent months logged off