Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford W Series cab 3D printed. Interested?

So, I have been working on this off and on this week. I saw a truck like this in Paul Idaho the first time over a year ago. I have been back a few times and it is still there and it still interests me. So, I decided to draw it up and see if I can get it 3D printed. 

You learn a lot about a truck when you start to replicate it in scale. These started in 1966 after the H tall cabbed C Ford was discontinued. Many small things changed over the first few years before the redesign. 

These ran from 1966 to 1973, then got a redesign in 1974 with the Louisville style grill and some other updates. 

1966 to 1973 had a bunch of little changes, door handles, the F O R D letters got smaller, the sleeper storage door changed size. Some had the deflectors at the front, some did not. 

These are representative of about a 1968, close as I can get anyway. 

The plan is, if there is any interest, to off these through Texas 3D Customs. We have spoken and is willing to offer these through his site. If you have never purchased stuff from him, you need to check it out and see the reviews. His printing is awesome, and he takes great care to offer the best products. 

So, let me know if this is something of interest. I do not have the interior yet, but I think it will be an interior plate, dog house, and dash. You would need to provide the seats. Do to the doors being rather thin in real life, I may do the door panel detail on the inside of the doors as apposed to separate parts. It will also keep the cost down.  

If these work out, I may do the GMC Cracker Box and the boxy Dodge cab too. 

2023-01-20 07_08_24-Start.jpg

Edited by Oldmopars

58 minutes ago, R.J said:

This is one I would love to see.

6 Ford super duty tractor950.jpg

If I were to do this one, it would only be a section that fits under the AMT C600 cab. To do the whole cab would be too difficult to get right and a waste of time because AMT already made the cab and it is really good.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jim B said:

The lower section would be great along with the correct badging for the front of the cab (Diesel or Superduty). The ladder should be easy to build for a talented modeler.

Yes, Jim a really nice conversion kit for the existing cab would be awesome, me like other Nascar builders would love to have to build the Holman Moody haulers from the 60's.. A sleeper would be nice also.

Edited by R.J

Creating the interior was a bit of a challenge. There are very few pictures of the early W1000. The ones that I did find show a very blocky, industrial interior. The 1972+ was much nicer. So, it it looks rather simple, that's because the original was too. 

Ford W Series v18.jpg

Alright, unless someone points out something I missed, I think these are ready for a test print. 

When the time comes for the real thing, it will likely be offered without the mirrors, seats, mattress, the cab lights and A/C. These are all item the kit builder will have from the donor truck and would only drive up the cost to print it. But, they are shown here to get the full picture of what it can look like. 

2023-01-26 19_27_14-Start.jpg

2023-01-26 19_27_57-Start.jpg

2023-01-26 19_28_36-Start.jpg

12 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

Alright, unless someone points out something I missed, I think these are ready for a test print. 

The FORD lettering seems a bit off, and to a lesser degree the cut-ins for the turn signals. Outside of that, she looks ready to roll!