Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1/24 Jaguar gift set (E-type Coupé and XKSS)

1959scudetto

I’ll save most of the story, but here’s the car used for the kit. Bricked room find, 17k mi on it. Dragged home, dropped covers, mains, scoped. Cleaned tanks, replaced seals, changed fluids, nothing really apart. 

Fired first try. Original paint, leather, top. 40 gal gas tank no gauge. I put fresh plugs in. 2 corrugated breather hoses from cam cover to dry sump tank nearby. I put tiny ding in it from plug ratchet. It was on the box art car still. Subsequent owner smacked wall in EU event, so amazing car overrestored. Of course. 

05D6BBBA-CE2E-44AC-94C6-BB32066CB4D6.jpeg
If you look at about 9 o’clock on front wheel by Dunlop sticker, you can see original wheel-weights bolted thru the small holes dotted between big holes. You won’t see many

Edited by keyser
Wheelweights
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, keyser said:

I’ll save most of the story, but here’s the car used for the kit. Bricked room find, 17k mi on it. Dragged home, dropped covers, mains, scoped. Cleaned tanks, replaced seals, changed fluids, nothing really apart. 

Fired first try. Original paint, leather, top. 40 gal gas tank no gauge. I put fresh plugs in...

Holy k-rapp. The real one was yours?

Damm man. Nice.  :D

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Holy k-rapp. The real one was yours?

Damm man. Nice.  :D

My uncles car. I was the hunter. Tracked it down, pre intarweb. Got guy to let it go. Removed wall, etc. Fun times. I curated collection, did well. I bought some other obscure stuff for me alone too. Good old days. Many stories. Film pics by scads. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Chris in Berwyn said:

How is the XK SS kit?  I am almost done with the E-Type and really pleased with it, so I'd like to build another Jag (plus I love Jags.) 

opened-up-low-left-L.jpg

low-front-right-human-sized-L.jpg

It's a very nice kit. This is OOB apart from some lead foil for the tonneau cover and side screens from acetate instead of the heavy kit parts. Fit of the windscreen is challenging, but there's plenty of detail, and a very nice engine.

01jaguarxksspb2010.jpg

This is 12 of the 16 "real" ones at Pebble Beach. Jaguar has made some "continuation" cars, using the Chassis numbers of the ones destroyed in the Brown's Lane fire:

https://www.jaguar.co.uk/about-jaguar/jaguar-classic/authentic-cars/classic-continuations/index.html

best,

M.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, 1959scudetto said:

Excellent model, Matt -  it has the true Jaguar spirit!

Jaguar spirit, we had a wreck, everyone smiled, waved and let us through then my wife gave me a Porsche and all the nice fellow drivers disappeared the moment I suddenly sat a foot lower.
Everyone loves Jaguars.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

I've done HVAC maintenance and repairs at a customer, who also "kinda" has one of these, cuz it wasn't assembled by Jaguar but by a firm which name I don't remember.

Lynx, Westlake and Proteus all made "recreations", which were generally very convincing... though now Jaguar is getting heavy on recreations and replicas, I guess they are unlikely to make any more.

best,

M.

Edited by Matt Bacon

https://brunodugauquier.wixsite.com/historiccarimage/jaguar-xkss
English is option in menu if comes up French. 
Car above is XKSS763, during time between Ruggiero and Freshman. Years are off, it was 82-86. Nice documentation. Couple D’s converted to SS not in the notes. 
Nice build Matt. Only comment is rear deck between cockpit edge and top is body color painted alloy, not upholstered. Makes sense in convertibles but Jag always treated roadsters that way up until E roadster. 

Edited by keyser
BTW Waves and smiles in Jags, McLarens, and non obnoxious colored Lambos. Ferrari and Porsche bad.
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, keyser said:

Nice build Matt. Only comment is rear deck between cockpit edge and top is body color painted alloy, not upholstered. Makes sense in convertibles but Jag always treated roadsters that way up until E roadster. 

Thanks… I know most are painted metal, but this one is modelled on a specific car featured in Octane, which has a leather panel there… it’s also where the striping detail on the hood came from. Nothing like having big colour pics of a 1:1 to work from.

best,

M.

• Like 1