Model Cars Magazine Forum

1964 Pontiac "Top of Engine" Reference Material.

On 1/22/2023 at 6:44 PM, keyser said:

Tried this rabbit hole. Obvs lots of tri-power. Changed Boolean to -tri-power, better 4bbl results. As stated, little with air cleaner off, but, there are a couple decent B-J auctions, Mecum has a great 421 dual quad 4-sod, and Volo has pics of a sold nice 64, great resto. The used-em-up ads have trash, random kluge wiring. Ugh. 
I didn’t realize almost every Pontiac had tripower 😜

Hunting Manifolds and Cooling may help, I found a little on H.A.M.B.  

DIY Pontiac has stuff, but years mixed, care needed. 
One of pics below is 64 with 62 dual quad mani. But routing hints may help. 
Steve you’ve prob seen this but I was hunting anyway. 

EC7F45F6-D6A7-46FA-B737-145179CAEE2A.jpeg

4FA33C81-934E-487F-8F13-77E4D9718268.jpeg

AA48F4A5-23D6-413D-B275-328BBD927FEB.jpeg

FDDE3FBB-1724-4177-A479-3C9A93351AC2.jpeg

the first three pics in this set are correct for what Steve is building, the last pic isn't correct, the Rochester Quadrajet came a few years later and the valve covers are also later model.

Steve has detailed Carter AFB's before, so that part should be easy for him.

One detail that most people miss when detailing pontiac engines is the phyical connection between the timing chain cover to the intake manifold (which Steve can add or not...), in the top pic, the long bolt can be seen right above the alternator housing starting at the front of the water pump and going through to the intake manifold.

image-asset.jpeg?format=750w

note the PCV hose connections into both planes of the manifold just in front of the carb, the hose ran to a grommet in the valley cover behind the manifold.

this carb may have used a cable rather than rod linkage seen on other pics

oil was put into the engine at the valve cover breather (top left) (not sure if this is standard, conflicting images)

image-asset.jpeg?format=750w

the "filtered" air tube for the automatic choke runs from the manifold exhaust crossover below the middle of the carb to the top main bore of the carb and is connected with a short piece of hose.

ESTvVcgU8AAURUL?format=jpg&name=900x900

Edited by blunc

Thanks so much for the latest info guys!

Out of the country on vacation at the moment, but I will definitely scrutinize the photos when I can look at them on a larger format than my phone.

See you in a couple of weeks! 😊

48FD4E24-0A03-48DB-9D9D-5D3310C3C5D6.thumb.jpeg.13edf250d9ff7bbbf9b7c066e1cf7dab.jpeg

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller
  • Haha 1