Model Cars Magazine Forum

Finding 1:48 drop tanks, glue bomb '50s fighter for parts?

I haven't built an airplane kit since the 'fifties, but at age 77 I'm motivated to try a few.  My project is to build both the Hasewgawa Shinden and Modelsvit Curtiss Ascender as the might have evolved with turbojet power!  I love the looks of both, canard with swept wings, and am amazed at the similarity. displayed; how neat if both had been moved up in technology and performance in 1:1 !  I need some 'fifties style tip-tanks, moderate size for the Curtiss P-55, and a glue-bomb early jet figter fuselage for the tail=pipe area, if such is available out there.  FINE SCALE MODELER would prob. be the best place to look, but I'm not on that forum, yet.  I can swap car parts (mostly early '60s) and a few extra bits from theser two kits, props etc. The Shinden has a six-bladed prop!  I have a J-47 from an old Crusader kit that I resin copied for these; might share one of those?

I want to mount the two on their gear, facing one another, semi-diorama style.  Well, those 1:48 parts are sure small!   Pretty cool, gettin a kit from Ukraine!  Wick

Lee/Emil,

"Mother?"

I'd like to see the Mustang, too!!  I have all the air race books that covered 1905 until about 1970; pretty amazing! I wish they'd been in color.

These projects will probably come out in about a year... I have so many starts: "A lick, and a promise."  I'm also doing a Brewster 'Buffalo' racer -- yep, when I was doing some research on the company and planes in the Smithsonian archives in '06, I found that a race plane had been requested and considered about 1940; Seversky was putting his P-35 prototype (SEV-5?) in races with Frank Fuller (Fuller-OBrien paints) and wond a few.  The Buff racer never was begun, but I've faked up some drawings of how it might have been done: SB2A 'Bermuda" R-2600 instead of R-1820, and lowered canopy -- I have all the parts, just need time.  Then I'll need to imagine a racing paint scheme, over bare aluminum, oc.  I wrote a very long novel about a pioneer aviator/racer/designer called "The Bird of Ill Omen" in which the Brewster racer IS built, but was crazy unstable (of course) and crashed on LI, NY.  Hope to get it begun on Kindle by next year as a serial.  Well, we'll see anyhow.  Soon to indie publish on Kindle "A Place on Mars" trilogy, about teen adventures in 1959-64 in a rural town in the west.  Whee!

I used to volunteer at the Chico Air Museum a lot, esp in restoration, but have too many projects to finish now!   Wick

N CA (Far!) so I've never been, but a pal goes every year.  Used to got to Redding 'Shasta Roadsters' strip in the early-mid '60s; lots of front-engined rails.  Now stock bodied cars beat those 8-second runs -- incredible!  Old school is more fun, tho!!  Wick 

(I raced a '55 Chevy post, '51 Ford coupe flathead!  Building replicas of both!)