Model Cars Magazine Forum

1959 Chevy El Camino

1 hour ago, Zippi said:

I worked on the 59 this morning and got the bed glued into the body, hood fitting good, and the bed cover fitting even though it may not be used.  I also worked on the tailgate for some time but unforgivably I don't see it being operational.  I can get it looking pretty good if I glue in shut but if I try and leave it operational it won't line up right as far as the taillights and I want that to look nice.       

20230123_123953.jpg

20230123_124003.jpg

20230123_130350.jpg

The kits hinge setup for the tailgate is a little loose and the tailgate sort of flops around when opening and closing. I would use a small section of metal tubing in the body and a corresponding size metal pin in the tailgate for a smooth working hinge.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zippi said:

I worked on the 59 this morning and got the bed glued into the body, hood fitting good, and the bed cover fitting even though it may not be used.  I also worked on the tailgate for some time but unforgivably I don't see it being operational.  I can get it looking pretty good if I glue in shut but if I try and leave it operational it won't line up right as far as the taillights and I want that to look nice.       

Opening doors I can see since there is something to look at inside. Opening hood is needed if there is an engine in there. Opening trunk, well maybe, if you have filled it with something other than air. Opening tailgate on a truck? Why bother? are you planning to throw bags of cement in there and need the lowered tailgate? 

That is a left over function from when models were more toys. Glue that puppy shut and sleep soundly at night.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, espo said:

The kits hinge setup for the tailgate is a little loose and the tailgate sort of flops around when opening and closing. I would use a small section of metal tubing in the body and a corresponding size metal pin in the tailgate for a smooth working hinge.  

Thanks for the info man.

1 hour ago, Tcoat said:

Opening doors I can see since there is something to look at inside. Opening hood is needed if there is an engine in there. Opening trunk, well maybe, if you have filled it with something other than air. Opening tailgate on a truck? Why bother? are you planning to throw bags of cement in there and need the lowered tailgate? 

That is a left over function from when models were more toys. Glue that puppy shut and sleep soundly at night.

I hear ya man.  Thanks.

8 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

I agree about the operational tailgate..really whats the point. 

Anyway, its coming along Buddy and will be a cool build.

Decide on an engine yet??

Thanks Buddy.  Probably going with the kit engine.  I will need to change out the pully system for sure.

Warning- Not For Sensitive Eyes!  

249A95D1-DAEA-4A57-8CDB-D979E4128872.jpeg.488d4298e8a53b022debb239d9911238.jpeg

Here’s what I’ve got! The Olde Kustom Kollection is back!  Found in a junk box at a show eons ago. Some kid poured his soul into this one. It is from the kit’s original release. The cage on the bed was filled with tires when I got it.  It had no tail lights so I added red round pin heads. (After this photo)

F057871E-D31F-4465-8315-C1FC06FC2C96.jpeg.20d4ac81d66f1aa77f5cc01c124235d9.jpeg

The trailer with the red fur bed came to me in a separate transaction but hey the Elkie had a hitch!

DBBA210C-F2F9-4A4D-BD7D-B7FC5B41A6A5.thumb.jpeg.76b85246fce09dabb3a6fbeda7d06e5a.jpeg

Edited by Tom Geiger

34 minutes ago, NOBLNG said:

I like to have an operating tailgate if possible, but that doesn’t look like an easy one to do. I’m sure it will be a real looker when you are done with it Bob.😎

Thanks Greg.  I'm still looking at the tailgate.

6 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Warning- Not For Sensitive Eyes!  

249A95D1-DAEA-4A57-8CDB-D979E4128872.jpeg.488d4298e8a53b022debb239d9911238.jpeg

Here’s what I’ve got! The Olde Kustom Kollection is back!  Found in a junk box at a show eons ago. Some kid poured his soul into this one. It is from the kit’s original release. The cage on the bed was filled with tires when I got it.  It had no tail lights so I added red round pin heads. (After this photo)

F057871E-D31F-4465-8315-C1FC06FC2C96.jpeg.20d4ac81d66f1aa77f5cc01c124235d9.jpeg

The trailer with the red fur bed came to me in a separate transaction but hey the Elkie had a hitch!

DBBA210C-F2F9-4A4D-BD7D-B7FC5B41A6A5.thumb.jpeg.76b85246fce09dabb3a6fbeda7d06e5a.jpeg

Pretty kewl looking.  I'm liking it.

On 1/22/2023 at 11:28 AM, espo said:

Look forward to your build. The body chrome trim is a little vague probably due to the age of the tooling. The front suspension has three settings and the lowest one doesn't leave a lot of oil pan clearance if you're trying to lower it. I enjoyed my build and look forward to another sometime soon. As requested, a couple of pictures of the last '59 El Camino. 

IMG_1722 (2).jpg

IMG_1724 (2).jpg

I have a question for ya David about the ride height of your 59.  Is your rear axle in the stock location and where are your stub axles located.  Top, Middle, or bottom?

I think I got all the mold lines on the body cleaned up and ready for paint.  The taillights look pretty good and lined up.  Waiting on some good weather to paint.  Even though the temp and humidity in the garage are ideal for painting, I'll wait til the weather outside is nice.  I'm in no big hurry.

20230124_101253.jpg

20230125_114341.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zippi said:

I have a question for ya David about the ride height of your 59.  Is your rear axle in the stock location and where are your stub axles located.  Top, Middle, or bottom?

Good afternoon Bob. I did some frame and suspension surgery to get the lowered ride height I wanted. Starting in the front. I cut the kits coil springs along with thinning the frame cross member and the part that has the lower control arms attached. The spindles were shortened and the mounting pins for the tires are in the highest setting holes. This allowed me to push the lower control arms higher so that the front sits as low as it will go and still have the engine oil pan as well as the lower control arms not touch the ground. For the rear suspension I cut the kits coil springs and drilled out the upper shock mounting point so that the shocks went up into the frame plate. I raised the differential to the point that the drive shaft just clears the bed floor. Hope this helps with your build.    

42 minutes ago, espo said:

Good afternoon Bob. I did some frame and suspension surgery to get the lowered ride height I wanted. Starting in the front. I cut the kits coil springs along with thinning the frame cross member and the part that has the lower control arms attached. The spindles were shortened and the mounting pins for the tires are in the highest setting holes. This allowed me to push the lower control arms higher so that the front sits as low as it will go and still have the engine oil pan as well as the lower control arms not touch the ground. For the rear suspension I cut the kits coil springs and drilled out the upper shock mounting point so that the shocks went up into the frame plate. I raised the differential to the point that the drive shaft just clears the bed floor. Hope this helps with your build.    

Thanks for all the info David.  It did help.

• 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, TooOld said:

Looks great so far Bob !  Good call on the tailgate (why open it?) and using the 348 from the kit , one of the nicest available !

Thanks man.  I appreciated it.  It's been on the back burner as I've been working on other projects.