Model Cars Magazine Forum

Duel

von Zipper

I wonder whatever happened to the 1972 Valiant from the cinematic release?

It was used for a few scenes which were filmed in spring 1972 for the European/ Australian theatrical version (the original, 1971 U.S. movie was released in November 1971).

The tractor-trailer is still around from that release (I seem to remember its being in the Burbank, Ca., area), but the car disappeared into obscurity... 

I went back and watched it. When I first saw it I was just a kid and really didn't know what was going on. I found one thing they got wrong. At the end the Valiant seems to inexplicably gain a black vinyl top. The movie also lacks the typical Hollywood explosion at the end. 

It's funny, I actually had this car way back. My cousin just split with his first wife, bought this Valiant from my neighbors put a bunch of money into it but she wouldn't drive it. So, I ended up with it for free (not a bad deal). You can just about see it in the background. Slant 6 with automatic on the column.

1 bus c.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike C. said:

I went back and watched it. When I first saw it I was just a kid and really didn't know what was going on. I found one thing they got wrong. At the end the Valiant seems to inexplicably gain a black vinyl top. The movie also lacks the typical Hollywood explosion at the end. 

It's funny, I actually had this car way back. My cousin just split with his first wife, bought this Valiant from my neighbors put a bunch of money into it but she wouldn't drive it. So, I ended up with it for free (not a bad deal). You can just about see it in the background. Slant 6 with automatic on the column.

1 bus c.jpg

Is that the guy from Flock Of Seagulls ?

24 minutes ago, JollySipper said:

That [lack of a dramatic explosion] is intentional........ Mr. Spielberg didn't want to have the huge explosion, said it was too cliche.

Not to mention that the tractor trailer was was equipped with a tanker which was marqued FLAMMABLE 

Truly anticlimactic end.

I love it.

5 hours ago, JollySipper said:

That is intentional........ Mr. Spielberg didn't want to have the huge explosion, said it was too cliche.

Wait,are you serious?Spielberg thought that a huge explosion would be too cliche?Mr.Stephen Spielberg actually said that?Mr.special FX,explosion man,himself said that?That is really funny.🤣

8 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Wait,are you serious?Spielberg thought that a huge explosion would be too cliche?Mr.Stephen Spielberg actually said that?Mr.special FX,explosion man,himself said that?That is really funny.🤣

Well, Duel was his first movie... That's not to say that you don't have a point -- Jaws used the sound effects from Duel : the tanker/Valiant going over the cliff provided the shark "snarls".

17 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Well, Duel was his first movie... That's not to say that you don't have a point -- Jaws used the sound effects from Duel : the tanker/Valiant going over the cliff provided the shark "snarls".

No I’m just joking.Duel was a great movie,and the ending was well executed.No explosion was necessary.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

If I remember,there was a resin copy of the car,however that was years ago.But I agree,I think they should release the car,and the tanker truck in one kit..Some compare this great movie,(which yes,was Spielberg’s first film), to the movie,”The Car”But we are supposed to think Satan was the driver of that car.This was a quote(”The car has no visible driver; it is strongly suggested that the car itself is animate, possibly an incarnation of either the Devil or some other demon”)..Some said the tanker truck driver was the devil in Duel.But I don’t think so,especially when you see the truck drivers hands on his steering wheel.,but I’dk.🤷‍♂️.Hey well what was up with Christine?Hmmm

03D086D0-237B-4489-BC9E-9792537BA514.webp