Model Cars Magazine Forum

Started piddling around with this today. I built one stock about a year ago, but want to go a little different with this one. Gonna try and put a 2017 Camaro engine in it, and also use the wheels and tires from the Camaro. Not sure how much modding I'll have to do, may end up putting it all back in the boxes.  Haven't decided on a color yet, but thinking maybe metallic grey or gunmetal.

IMGP8891.JPG

IMGP8893.JPG

• Like 1

On 1/29/2023 at 3:29 PM, Zippi said:

Love the pickups James.  It going to look sharp.

Thanks Bob.

On 1/29/2023 at 5:11 PM, SpikeSchumacher said:

Go for it!

Gonna try.

On 1/31/2023 at 8:36 PM, KWT said:

Love a 3100... Will be following along

Thanks.

On 2/1/2023 at 12:47 AM, slusher said:

I have seen all kind of modifications done on this year truck. I have 2 and I am going to try a Camaro modern engine and seats in. Go for it friend..

Thanks Carl. I'm going with the Camaro engine, but I stick with the stock interior.

Ok, I pretty much got the stance where I want it, may need a few tweaks. Also think I will be able to use the Camaro exhaust with a few minor modifications. Not going to have much bench time the next few weeks, my wife is having knee replacement surgery on Monday and I will be caregiver for a while.

IMGP8913.JPG

IMGP8915.JPG

• Like 4

23 hours ago, espo said:

The exhaust looks like it was made for this little truck. 

Yea, it fit pretty well.

2 hours ago, slusher said:

Take care of your wife I hope she has a speedy recovery. God bless you both!

Thank you Carl. She had her right one done about 4 years ago, now it's left one. Both are mine are bad so guess I will be next.

Ok, worked on the interior today. I changed my mind about going with the stock interior and was able to modify both interiors to get the Camaro seats and console to work in the trucks interior. Did some test fitting with the engine and firewall and I will need to do some cutting on the firewall to make things work. Hope to get that done tomorrow and then I will be away from the bench for a while.

IMGP8916.JPG

IMGP8917.JPG

• Like 2

Got the firewall cut out to fit the Camaro engine. Had to make some mods to some of engine bits that attach to it, but I think I can get it all into the engine compartment along with the Camaro radiator/fan assembly. I'll get back on it in a couple of weeks after my wife recovers some from the surgery. I'm about ready to start painting.

IMGP8918.JPG

Edited by bluestringer
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Zippi said:

Gald your better half is doing well.  That color looks good for the interior.

Thanks Bob.

14 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Well James, I apologize for not wishing your wife good luck and recovery from her surgery but I just now saw your thread on this build. My wife likely needs knee surgery but I can't even get her to get a steriod shot so she just suffers along🙄

Thanks Mike. Tell your wife not to wait too long, it's harder to recover. My wife had her right one done 4 years ago, and should have had the left one done before now. It was in bad shape, bone on bone, she could not even bend it and it was locking up. But we had a great surgeon that got it fixed and she is recovering well. Mine are bad also, I've had the injection in my left one and will need a replacement probably before the year is out.