Model Cars Magazine Forum

Here's my latest true fire flame job fresh out of the paint booth

Brian Nehring

really hot flames they really look real

are you using a single action or double action airbrush to do

these flames

and what kind of paint are you using

Thanks for the compliments, I'm using an Iwata Eclipse double action airbrush. The flames are painted using Planet Color custom paint from Sherwin Williams over a House of Kolor black base. Cleared it in PPG Concept DCU2021 clear urethane.

Thanks again,

Brian

Another awesome paint job! I would like to know what you use for masking! Jody

Thanks Jody,

For doing true fire I do not use any masking, I use shields that I've made to get various shapes when I need them but most of what you see here is free hand. When I do my traditional style flames I use a liquid mask that I mix with water to about the consitancy of milk and I shoot it through my airbrush. Dry it with a hair dryer between coats, spray on 6-8 light coats. Draw the pattern on with a sharpie and trim it with an exacto knife.

Brian

P1010015.jpg

BFostersStang03.jpg

Very cool! Two quick questions, what kind of liquid masking do you use? Second, what do you make your shields out of? I have seen some different ways of doing these true flames done! Eventually I want to be able to! Of course, right now I am still trying to learn how to even use the airbrush! LOL. I am getting decent with alclad, but nothing else so far. Jody

Very cool! Two quick questions, what kind of liquid masking do you use? Second, what do you make your shields out of? I have seen some different ways of doing these true flames done! Eventually I want to be able to! Of course, right now I am still trying to learn how to even use the airbrush! LOL. I am getting decent with alclad, but nothing else so far. Jody

I use a liquid mask made by Hobbico that I get form my local hobby shop, you can get a similiar product from Micro Mark called Mask-it. The shields I use I made from some transparent plastic that I got from Hobby Lobby, it's the same material that paint stencils are made from. You can also use card stock, I've even made them from subscription cards from magazines, you just cut them in various shapes with different curves.

Thanks

Brian

The more I look....the more I see, your flames are incredible. The amount of surface covered, the angles that you take, the length, the subtle tail ends etc. etc.....I know we call it true fire but there has to be boundries and form.....and man....you da man. I would love to see you do an all black body with the light blue fire (my favorite combo). Do I hear an Instructional DVD....put me on the list. GREAT WORK!!!!!!!

Edited by BKIN10SECS

I use a liquid mask made by Hobbico that I get form my local hobby shop, you can get a similiar product from Micro Mark called Mask-it. The shields I use I made from some transparent plastic that I got from Hobby Lobby, it's the same material that paint stencils are made from. You can also use card stock, I've even made them from subscription cards from magazines, you just cut them in various shapes with different curves.

Thanks

Brian

Thank you!! I figured as much on the "templates" Thanks. Jody