Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Galaxie 500 Stock OOB

Tcoat

I was very happy to see this kit recently as this was my Grandfather's one and only new car purchase in his life. I can still remember him bringing it by the first time and just how proud he was. It was a fully loaded model and he took such care of it that when he passed 12 years later it was still in pristine, showroom condition.

This of course is the curbside kit from the old promo. The molds are very nice and most of the grand total of 24 parts (including 10 parts for wheels and axles) are extremely crisp.

The steering wheel sits at a weird angle and the door panel detail is a little blurred but as this was intended to be a quick weekend slap together and throw some paint and BMF on it weekend project as a break from my big builds I left them alone. 

The paint is Tamiya Italian Red lacquer and is bang on the sort of off red of the 64s.

Experimenting with backgrounds in the light box so please forgive the weird white sections. I will try to get some outside shots when there is no snow on the ground and we get daylight again.

Edit: Fixed the pictures with larger background and more diffused light.

1860363526_good6(2).jpg.79b0f9ac0884618ba42cffdbf12c5442.jpg

1659684050_good5a(2).jpg.9c1b158a248d18244058c1fbbd494637.jpg

1470711759_good3(2).jpg.040385c9617d7d9ebbfa1adcfe8a5d5f.jpg

2123415343_good2(2).jpg.e55a510f60d79177869d3acc39b495e9.jpg

1325487297_good1(2).jpg.0e90f99e55aee1dc8f374c7e30bd12dc.jpg

2018452737_goo6(2).jpg.84b9cead865c07be2b2db71d0690726a.jpg

1794303894_P1020505(2).jpg.0dd27ea7d9392c7786286c75104d0b98.jpg

And since it is a promo and they actually left the base plate (not calling it a chassis) I decided to run with it. Pretty cool actually.

1132100284_P1020548(2).jpg.ce924a6503acd46c24c89f9886d9787d.jpg

Edited by Tcoat
Fixed pictures
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jim B said:

Great looking Galaxy.  Really well done.  The highlighted promo information on the chassis is a cool touch.

Thanks. I thought it would be a little different and add some interest to the basic underside.

There were really a few ways I could have dealt with it.

Use the '60 Starliner kit for separate frame, floorboards, suspension and engine. This would mean opening the hood and some surgery to make it all fit removing it from the plan of a quick and easy weekend build.

Use the '63 Galaxie kit for an engine and bit more detailed chassis but not as extensive as the Starliner. Still more than I wanted to put into this project.

Paint the little "detail" that is there and remove all the promo script. This wouldn't have been bad but it is pretty plain underneath.

Just paint the base and leave the script alone which would have been almost unreadable.

Since it is rare that the script has remained on most of these promo molds I decided it would be fun to make it pop and boy did it work out well!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, David G. said:

Nicely Done!

I like that you kept all the old promo features on the chassis. Nice touch.

David G.

I must confess that I had my curser hovering over the Buy button on a Starliner kit to do the whole thing up. The promo script was just so different though that I managed to restrain myself, stick to plan and keep things OOB. 

11 hours ago, happy grumpy said:

Beautiful galaxy. Great color choice. Very nice interior. Beautiful job on the photography.

LOL I had 4 different reds and none were right so I bought 3 more. Of course the very last one I tried was the proper shade. 

It is not a true "red" but has sort of an orange undertone to it. 

1964-Ford-Galaxie-500XL-Red-Convt-le.jpg

3 minutes ago, drodg said:

Nice build it would be great to see a picture of your grandfather's car

We have a bunch of pictures that I can dig through and see if any survived. I have no doubt that there may have been one or two but that was an era when pictures were a pain to get developed and cost money to take so I doubt there were piles of them. Even then odds are it will be black and white anyway. 

Unlike today (I probably have over 100 pictures of my cats on my phone) cars often just showed up in the background of special events. At least that was the case in my family as we had very little money for such luxuries. Of the 6 "cool"cars I owned back in the 70s to 90s I probably have 3 or 4 pictures with any of them in them. One was a wedding picture so it was in an actual album meaning it wasn't lost or damaged/faded beyond repair.

2 hours ago, Tcoat said:

We have a bunch of pictures that I can dig through and see if any survived. I have no doubt that there may have been one or two but that was an era when pictures were a pain to get developed and cost money to take so I doubt there were piles of them. Even then odds are it will be black and white anyway. 

Unlike today (I probably have over 100 pictures of my cats on my phone) cars often just showed up in the background of special events. At least that was the case in my family as we had very little money for such luxuries. Of the 6 "cool"cars I owned back in the 70s to 90s I probably have 3 or 4 pictures with any of them in them. One was a wedding picture so it was in an actual album meaning it wasn't lost or damaged/faded beyond repair.

That is so true.  I think of the muscle cars I have owned over the years and I only have pictures of a few.  My uncle had some great cars back in the 60's but we as a family don't have any photos of them.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, drodg said:

That is so true.  I think of the muscle cars I have owned over the years and I only have pictures of a few.  My uncle had some great cars back in the 60's but we as a family don't have any photos of them.  

I have this picture of my Nomad in 83

nomad3 (2).jpg

And this of my Custom 300 from around 95

ford.jpg.12161b7621fd0aaae68c79ea4e8d0c2c.jpg

I know there is a very dark picture of my '64 Impala SS someplace and there was a picture of my 56 Chevy with the engine sitting on the ground in front of it but I haven't found it in years

And... that is about it.

No '70 Coronet R/T

No Corvair

No '64 Econoline

No Karmann Ghia

1 hour ago, Kah puts said:

Your Galaxy is absolutely amazing 🥕 and I see Grandpa's car outside after the snow fall, I'm guessing it was in the garage during the worst of it 😼

No garage.  I bet he washed and waxed it in the snowbank though.