Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 51 Chevy Bel Air

bluestringer

Had a few problems with it, but all in all it came out ok. Paint is Tamiya X-14 Sky Blue and Testors Gloss White Acrylic. I don't have much experience with BMF so had a few mishaps with it, but it looks ok. All stock OOB except for some plugs wires and fuel line on the engine. I did try to weather the engine a little. The missing rad hose has now been installed.  All comments welcome, thanks for looking.

IMGP8895.JPG

IMGP8897.JPG

IMGP8899.JPG

IMGP8902.JPG

IMGP8904.JPG

IMGP8906.JPG

IMGP8911.JPG

IMGP8912.JPG

Edited by bluestringer
  • Like 5

Really nice result!  As mentioned in the WIP this one defeated me in the alignment of the under the hood wheel wells, radiator, etc, etc. but you seem to have got her done.  Of course some of my problems with the kit were self-inflicted LOL.  Overall you've come up with a very convincing result!

It looks great! 

It seems that you managed to get the air boxes installed under the hood. I had trouble getting the ones in mine to fit so I left them out.

I'm curious, did you have any trouble getting the grille and bumper to fit correctly on the front end? I had problems getting the ones on the convertible I built to fit flush having to "file to fit" as it were.

In any case, nicely done with yours!

David G.

19 hours ago, Jim B said:

Very nice-looking Bel Air.  Well done.

Thank you.

18 hours ago, Classicgas said:

Nice. What did you use for a fuel filter?

Thanks. It's just a piece of rubber tube I painted silver.

17 hours ago, happy grumpy said:

That turned out quite well. Nice color choice. This kit has a nice in line 6. You did a nice job on the details.

Thanks Mario.

17 hours ago, PappyD340 said:

Looks great!!

Thank you.

5 hours ago, slusher said:

Great looking Chevy, James!  

Thanks Carl.

5 hours ago, Tcoat said:

Perfect!

Thanks.

5 hours ago, Andrew McD said:

Really nice result!  As mentioned in the WIP this one defeated me in the alignment of the under the hood wheel wells, radiator, etc, etc. but you seem to have got her done.  Of course some of my problems with the kit were self-inflicted LOL.  Overall you've come up with a very convincing result!

Thanks. I did have some problems with those fender wells, they seemed too long and caused the radiator to be too far from the engine for the hose to fit. Had to make my own hose.

5 hours ago, Zippi said:

I'm liking it James.  Great engine detail work man.  

Thanks Bob.

5 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

That turned out great James. Great photography and background as well. 

Thanks you Joe.

4 hours ago, David G. said:

It looks great! 

It seems that you managed to get the air boxes installed under the hood. I had trouble getting the ones in mine to fit so I left them out.

I'm curious, did you have any trouble getting the grille and bumper to fit correctly on the front end? I had problems getting the ones on the convertible I built to fit flush having to "file to fit" as it were.

In any case, nicely done with yours!

David G.

Thanks David. The air boxes did not fit very good, but I got them in, the photos are dark and really don't show they are not aligned quite correct. I had a problem on one side of the grill because the fender well seemed to long and stuck out in the way. I had to trim it back to get the grille to fit flush.

2 hours ago, ChrisR said:

Very nice!

Thank you.

1 hour ago, ismaelg said:

Turned out great!  The classic color combo is a perfect match for this car.

That kit is quite challenging.

Thanks,
Ismael

Thanks.

1 hour ago, espo said:

Great looking color combination and finish. Enjoyed watching the interior come together along with the engine. The engine detailing looks very convincing. 

Thank you David.