Model Cars Magazine Forum

Shadow DN-3 resin conversion UPDATE 2/21 and HELP!

I bought this off ebay 15-20 years ago. When I got it I saw it was so crude I put it in a box above my workbench. For some reason I pulled it and a Tamiya Williams kit down and started working. The no name brand kit is still crude but not so bad it's not buildable. LOTS of sanding, shaping and drilling. IA number of parts are 'THEY GO OVER THERE' with no hint of exact location. So I am pinning most parts. Thanks for looking.

SHADOW6.jpg

SHADOWDN3 (1).JPG

SHADOWDN3 (3).JPG

Edited by Dave Van
  • Like 3

Looks about the same....but stuff done. Side pods attached, filled and sanded. Interior trimmed and fitted. Basic front suspension fitted and installed., ride height  yet to be set.  Wing side plates done front and rear. LOTS of time fitting and pinning but big tuff done.....maybe primer this week end. Thanks

SHADOWDN3 (7).JPG

SHADOWDN3 (5).JPG

SHADOWDN3 (8).JPG

• Like 5

The slow progress is my fault. After doing so much body work and mods to the SHADOW body I figured I could go right to the Tamiya white primer and skip my Dupli-color #1699. WRONG!! Even with all I did I still got some fish eye in the primer. So I had to strip that and shot a few coats of #1699. Some wet sanding between coats, front wings installed and rear wing assembled I did make SOME progress from the last post. Waiting on TS-14 gloss black to arrive in mail.....did not know I was out!!! Thanks for looking.

SHADOWDN3a (1).JPG

SHADOWDN3a (2).JPG

• Like 3

Dave....not to step on your post...but this can be done.  I did this one on 6/25/2018.  It is a Jorgensen resin and the decals are from Indycals,  You are doing a great job and it will be a spectacular model when finished.  I have lots of detailed photos and can assist you if so desired. Keep up the good work. 

DSC06162.JPG

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rich Chernosky said:

Dave....not to step on your post...but this can be done.  I did this one on 6/25/2018.  It is a Jorgensen resin and the decals are from Indycals,  You are doing a great job and it will be a spectacular model when finished.  I have lots of detailed photos and can assist you if so desired. Keep up the good work. 

DSC06162.JPG

Thanks.......Being a bit rough I did not think it was a Jorgensen kit.....wonder if it was a re-cast??? Either way I am happy to have it. It came with decals but doubt they are good....yellowed over the years. Indycals decals are in the mail. Thanks

Slow progress.....basement flooded after 2" of rain here in WV, that took 2 days. But I have gotten the color on the body and just need to polish it. Tamiya TS14 spray can black.

Now a request!!!! I came home one day and my model room door was open. Not a good thing. I have 3 cats, 2 of them are barn cats that behave well. The 3rd is a large Siamese that is always in trouble. If you have ever seen Disney's 'Lady and the Tramp' the Siamese in that film are good compared to mine.
Well on checking my open model room....I see SI, my Siamese, has been on my desk......and a rear tire is missing and lots of stuff on the floor. I looked for two days for the tire.....but SI loves anything that rolls......needless to say that tire did that well.
So I need a Tamiya rear from the 70's-80's era kits. I'd buy another kit but these things are pretty high right now.....and just to steal a tire......SO if anyone has a rear they can spare???? Thanks

SHADOWDN3z.JPG

• Like 1

• Dave Van changed the title to Shadow DN-3 resin conversion UPDATE 2/21 and HELP!

Interior is in minus head (which if you know the Tom Pryce story is in poor taste, sorry) Engine and rear suspension installed. Now I need to decide weather to decal or add front suspension. Front is pretty fragile so I may need to decal the body next. Scoop and rear wing need one more coat of black.....they will be last to instill. Thanks for looking!! 

shadowdn311 (2).JPG

• Like 1

Rich C may have missed  your mention that this was in 20th scale - dont think that Jorgenson ever kitted anything in 20th scale - he was pretty committed to 25th - think your caster remains a mystery … he included catalogs of a sort in his kit boxes - gonna find one tomorrow …

• Like 1