Model Cars Magazine Forum

WIP D/Gas 1956 Chevy from Monogram hardtop kit.

larman

• larman changed the title to WIP D/Gas 1956 Chevy from Monogram hardtop kit.
16 hours ago, redzed said:

looks real good , did the headers come with the kit or did you make them ?

The headers are scratch built, I used sprue from a Moebius '56 Chrysler and Evergreen tubing for the collectors. They still need some more clean up before paint. The first one wasn't hard to make, but it is very hard to make 2 that are close in shape so they exit about the same on both sides.. At least for me! Normally, I would use solder, but I wanted to see how this would go. 

Edited by larman

4 hours ago, customline said:

Oh....I love a good gasser....and that color is just amazing 👏.  Great stance. Great wheel/tire combo. Did I mention the color? Tri-5 Chevies make great gassers, don't they?

It is Tamiya rattle can paint and it has a few flaws, but they will be covered when I add lettering and sponsors, etc. I think when it is all lettered up, has foiled trim and the rest of the details I want to add, it will look good. It is just taking longer than I thought, lol! 

1 hour ago, larman said:

It is Tamiya rattle can paint and it has a few flaws, but they will be covered when I add lettering and sponsors, etc. I think when it is all lettered up, has foiled trim and the rest of the details I want to add, it will look good. It is just taking longer than I thought, lol! 

I have been seeing that color a lot lately.  Don't they call it "bright orange?"  I need that color!  I can't wait to see this one done. Now I'm in a gasser mood again. 😎 gotta go find a suitable......ooooo......I have a '57 Nomad...😏

Edited by customline
Added comment

Wow, I will be following this build closely. You've really got the height and wheel arches right. Transverse leaf spring on a big sedan is incredibly focused.

Edited by Ulf
Translation error

8 hours ago, Ulf said:

Wow, I will be following this build closely. You've really got the height and wheel arches right. Transverse leaf spring on a big sedan is incredibly focused.

The front axle and suspension are from the AMT '55 Nomad. I was going to use the front end from the Monogram '55 Chevy Street Machine, but it sat too high. I am not 100% crazy about the one I used, it could have had a little wider tracking, but it will do.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2023 at 7:52 PM, larman said:

The headers are scratch built, I used sprue from a Moebius '56 Chrysler and Evergreen tubing for the collectors. They still need some more clean up before paint. The first one wasn't hard to make, but it is very hard to make 2 that are close in shape so they exit about the same on both sides.. At least for me! Normally, I would use solder, but I wanted to see how this would go. 

Headers are never the same side to side due to the offset of the left and right banks. Next set, build one side first, then start the other side with the inner most tube, easy to get the end points the same. Then just add in the three remaining tubes inside to outside and from back to front.

• Like 1