Model Cars Magazine Forum

2010 Taurus SHO

016_2010taurussho_opta.jpg

2010 Taurus SHO

It all sounds good. twin turbo V6, 365 hp. AWD, but why did they have too ruin it with a stupid fake manual/automatic transmissions. The reason why the SHO died was because they took away the manual transmission. now this one does'nt have one. would it kill the big three too produce a car with a proper 6sp manual Transmission with a clutch

It all sounds good. twin turbo V6, 365 hp. AWD, but why did they have too ruin it with a stupid fake manual/automatic transmissions. The reason why the SHO died was because they took away the manual transmission. now this one does'nt have one. would it kill the big three too produce a car with a proper 6sp manual Transmission with a clutch

They probably determined that it wouldn't sell profitably. Americans just don't buy manuals in American cars much anymore (though they like them in German cars).

Due to knee problems I can't drive a manual, at least not daily and without a fair amount of pain. Being a performance car they should have manual as an option though, but my guess is we are going to see the auto manufacturers cater more and more to the majority and not have as many options to save on development costs.

David

I for one like the manuals . At least ya can slow the car down as in coming off the hills in northern Arizona . try that or at least Chalk hill over on I-20 just in Dallas Texas ! Yeah a car pulling another car with overheated brakes -------------------------------------NOT A GOOD COMBINATION !

Ed Shaver

I work in the automotive after market. and 99% of the vehicles we work on are automatics. I rarely see a manual anymore, in fact a few years ago a local Olds dealer had a loaded Calais 442 edition, loaded with everything except a auto trans. it took for ever to sell, in fact it sat so long on the show room floo the mechanics took parts off it when they needed them. It was a 17,000 car redueced to 10,000 last i seen, I dont know if it ever sold. I was thining of buying it myself, but changed my mind. Looking back I should have, but my point is that no one wants manuals anymore, so the manufacturers arent gonna build them. I can drive either, and have no real preference for me.

would it kill the big three too produce a car with a proper 6sp manual Transmission with a clutch

Yes it would. Americans don't like manual transmissions. Americans like automatics, power everything, any gadget and gimmick they can have, like back up cameras and refrigerated glove boxes, and the bigger the better. Ford isn't going to bother tooling up and manufacturing a manual version of the SHO just to please the handful of people who would actually but it that way, because they'd never make a return on their investment. As stated above, manual transmission cars account for only a tiny fraction of cars sold in America. No sense offering something that the buyers don't want.

I bet that it will have a variant of an auto stick, and the computers will out shift you and me most of the time.

Try a BMW or Mercedes auto tran and shift it manually ...what you will find out is that its just as much fun for

everyday real driving.NO it will not be for the heel and toe crowd....but my knee is already feeling better!!

I've been there and shifted just about every car and truck trans and axle combo around....and I wan't it EASY!!!

So B4 P &Ming about why don't ya try it??? :P:lol::lol:

UPDATE>>>>>>>It comes with paddle shifters and 20's....This car is gonna sell if they price it right!!!!

Edited by MikeMc

The reason why they probably went with an automatic is so that they could get a better MPG rating. And also to help it get past the new smog regulations.

I was thinking it looked like a cross between a Toyota and a Subaru. It's not a bad looking car but they need to get rid of the grill. Also does this mean they're going to be phasing out the Ford Fusion? The Fusion was the replacement for the Taurus. I also think that they didn't get as many sales with the Fusion name as they did with the Taurus name.

Edited by Brendan

Also does this mean they're going to be phasing out the Ford Fusion? The Fusion was the replacement for the Taurus. I also think that they didn't get as many sales with the Fusion name as they did with the Taurus name.

The Fusion was the Taurus replacement, and the Five Hundred was more or less the Crown Vic replacement. But since the Five Hundred wasn't selling great, they changed the name to Taurus, thus the Taurus is now a full-size car rather than a mid-size as in past years.

No, this is not a replacement to the Fusion. This car is currently available as a Lincoln MKS, soon to be a Ford Taurus. It also shares the platform with the Jaguar S Type which is now sold (owned) by Tata, along with Land Rover. Fusion is getting a nose job this year and some performance upgrades. I have much of the tech. info on this new Taurus and it looks like it will be a great car if you can afford the $40,000 plus price tag for a loaded out model. The Lincoln is over $48,000 loaded.

Americans don't like manual transmissions.

...................................And that's what's contributed in part to the woefully inadequate driving on today's roads IMO. Folks yacking on the phone, putting on makeup, texting, you name it. :rolleyes:

Having to shift gears for yourself?....................Naaah! :rolleyes:

No, this is not a replacement to the Fusion. This car is currently available as a Lincoln MKS, soon to be a Ford Taurus. It also shares the platform with the Jaguar S Type which is now sold (owned) by Tata, along with Land Rover. Fusion is getting a nose job this year and some performance upgrades. I have much of the tech. info on this new Taurus and it looks like it will be a great car if you can afford the $40,000 plus price tag for a loaded out model. The Lincoln is over $48,000 loaded.

The MKS platform shares nothing with the Jag S type. You are thinking about the defunct Lincoln LS. The S type is RWD. The new Taurus and MKS are built on the same D3 (Volvo P2) FWD/AWD platform as the current Taurus (formerly Five Hundred) and Sable, which is a platform derived from the previous-gen Volvo S80, shared with the XC90, XC70, S60..

Edited by Rob Hall

I just want to say that every car I have ever bought has been a manual. My work truck is an automatic and I wouldn't have it any other way. Ever try to shoot video, drive and shift at the same time?

Just kidding, I would never shift and shoot video at the same time.... I mean drive, yeah that's it... :rolleyes:

Guys, the sad truth is that with few exceptions (Mustangs, Corvettes, some BMW's and mainstream entry level four cylinder powertrains), manual transmissions do not sell in America. A shame, but true.

As for the Taurus SHO, the press release says 365HP. And the automatic has paddle shifters, downshift rev matching, and tons of other cool features. My guess is that once they drive it, even hard core shift it yourself types will be smitten.

And yes, I have a manual in my '09 Mustang GT. TIM

...................................And that's what's contributed in part to the woefully inadequate driving on today's roads IMO. Folks yacking on the phone, putting on makeup, texting, you name it. :rolleyes:

Having to shift gears for yourself?....................Naaah! :rolleyes:

Most of the time I'm driving an automatic...It's just easier to drive in the stop and go city and suburban traffic and heavy freeway traffic...and to drink coffee or a bottled water. About the only place I can really enjoy a car w/ a manual is on winding backroads out in the sticks--desert, mountains, etc. Don't get out of the metro area very often.

My '87 Mustang GT is a manual, as was my M3. My next Mustang will be a manual, thought about a manual CTS for my next daily driver, but an automatic would be fine also.

Edited by Rob Hall

My Jeep is a stick and I enjoy driving it, even in stop-and-go traffic where I've determined ways to make it as least-stressful as possible. Of course I barely ever get stuck in it because I know several ways to get home and don't drive around the big cities around traffic time. Oh, and I can drive a stick and drink beverages...it's called drinking when not shifting! :rolleyes:

Even if the Taurus has all the fancy gizmos that make it appear you're driving a manual, it just wouldn't be the same. I've driven my uncle's 2008 Infiniti M35 with the auto that has the manual shift option on the shifter, and though the car was powerful it just wasn't the same feel as driving a true manual.

When I bought my Saturn Ion coupe several years ago.......I INSISTED on a manual! In larger cars I can see an automatic as big cars don't seem right with a stick. But nothing drives me crazier than to see a "economy" car with an automatic.

It kind of negates the extra MPG's that a manual would bring?

Now mind you, some folks who are handicapped can't drive a manual for different reasons so I wouldn't ban them..................it just seems with the disappearance of manuals from the road, bad driving has increased due to more inattentiveness.

The stop and go traffic doesn't bother me as I've learned to let the car coast along a bit, to save wear and tear on the clutch release bearing. Especially sitting in traffic I don't sit there with my foot depressed on the clutch. ;)

BTW a Corvette with an automatic is HERESY!! :blink:

I've also wondered what's the ratio of cars stolen that are automatics as opposed to ones that are sticks? :D

I've done a bit of off roading w/ my Jeep (automatic) and my Bronco II before that (manual), and found I prefer an automatic off road...just shift into a low gear and 4 wheel drive, and have both hands on the wheel to concentrate on the trail. When I bought the Jeep, I didn't have a choice, no manuals offered in the GC.

There are still alot of surprising cars out there with available manual transmission. did you know you can buy a regular Cadillac CTS with a 6sp. manual

a Manual was a must when I bought my Subaru Impreza, and I had no issues finding one I liked. in fact I've never owned an automatic, my first car was a 95 Geo Prism, then an 01 Hyundai Accent, and then an 01 Ford Ranger. all sticks.