Model Cars Magazine Forum

Thanks guys. I really like this kit. As simple as it is it really looks lifelike. The body, glass and tires are very nice so with a bit of detailing it should look pretty realistic. I definitely will be on the lookout for more vintage Monogram kits of classic race cars. Any suggestions on the better ones out there?

4 hours ago, Pierre Rivard said:

Thanks guys. I really like this kit. As simple as it is it really looks lifelike. The body, glass and tires are very nice so with a bit of detailing it should look pretty realistic. I definitely will be on the lookout for more vintage Monogram kits of classic race cars. Any suggestions on the better ones out there?

I posted pictures of my Monogram classic race cars on Wednesday.

Monogram 1/24's - post 'em up !! - Page 4 - Model Cars - Model Cars Magazine Forum

On 3/2/2023 at 2:02 PM, Pierre Rivard said:

Second element I wanted to add a bit of detail is the engine "plate" & intake stacks. The kit is curbside and I have no plans to add a full engine but just to add a bit of depth to what is visible.

That looks fantastic! I'm fairly impressed with the plastic fuel lines. I have one of these planned, as well--you've surely given me something to aspire to. In case you're interested, on Ebay, I found vintage Chaparral wheels in magnesium, for slot cars. They were fairly reasonably priced, as I recall. It's hard to tell, in these photos, but I polished two of these--one front and one rear.  Beautiful work, Pierre!

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0007cr.jpg

4 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

That looks fantastic! I'm fairly impressed with the plastic fuel lines. I have one of these planned, as well--you've surely given me something to aspire to. In case you're interested, on Ebay, I found vintage Chaparral wheels in magnesium, for slot cars. They were fairly reasonably priced, as I recall. It's hard to tell, in these photos, but I polished two of these--one front and one rear.  Beautiful work, Pierre!

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0007cr.jpg

Thanks Daniel. The plastic lines would not be suitable for the high detail multi-material builds you do but for this application...quick and easy.

I like your wheels, I think they are vintage Cox right? I did consider them but was unsure based on the small eBay pics so I decided to go ahead with a styrene solution. Pretty happy with the modified kit wheels I did.

Chaparral wip7.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pierre Rivard said:

Thanks Daniel. The plastic lines would not be suitable for the high detail multi-material builds you do but for this application...quick and easy.

I like your wheels, I think they are vintage Cox right? I did consider them but was unsure based on the small eBay pics so I decided to go ahead with a styrene solution. Pretty happy with the modified kit wheels I did.

Chaparral wip7.jpg

You are correct, sir. They are Cox. Your wheels look great! The color is perfect, too.  need to get a proper set of tires, for mine--at least markings for them--then I can just sand off the molded-in detail. This is an excellent project, and I'm excited to watch it come together1

On 3/4/2023 at 5:56 AM, Pierre Rivard said:

The plastic lines would not be suitable for the high detail multi-material builds you do but for this application...quick and easy.

They're perfect, for this, to be sure. So much so, that I would consider them for my own build, of it. I think these old Monogram kits are a load of fun!

• Like 1