Model Cars Magazine Forum

Quoting respondents

NOBLNG

I would like to acknowledge folks who respond to a build that I post to show my appreciation. Is it ok to quote a whole bunch of responses (so that they are notified) and then reply to the group as a whole. Or are all those quotes just annoying to later viewers of the thread? I will definitely quote if I have a reply to a members comment. I will admit I am not sure what is the proper etiquette. Thanks.

Edit: When I reply in someone else’s thread I definitely delete pics that are not relevant to my response.

Edited by NOBLNG
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I find the multiple quoting just to thank bunch of members a bit awkward.  To me this presents a perfect opportunity to use the group's "like" tags.  Just go to each complimentary post and tag them with the little "thank you"  trophy symbol (like I just did for your post Greg).  That way the people who posted compliments will know that you are thanking them (when you hover over the "like" symbol it will display the name of the member who tagged them).  They will also get notified that "someone reacted to their post". That's how I see it. At first I was against the "like" tags functionality, but now I see that it can be quite handy in certain instances.

Or even simpler, just respond stating "thank you all for your positive comments" (or something similar) without quoting anybody.  Of course if you want to mention  more than just a simple "thank you" then you would quote and respond.  You can also still use the "thank you" tags. 

Edited by peteski

I would say a group thank you to all who respond is appropriate. If people make the effort to.make a comment then it should be acknowledged In the same fashion. To me responding to each is overkill. Hopefully when people respond they will give some feedback on what they like about it.

As far as using the thank you tag remember it works two ways.  If you respond with a thank you tag you may just find that's how they will respond to a post and you may get no more than a like tag. Just a thought.