Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mack R688ST

Maine Locomotive and Machine runs a Mack R688ST.  They haul their 2 foot gauge steam locomotive to some regional shows as well as other things relating to steam locomotives and boilers.  I saw the rig again at the largest model train show in the Northeast US 3 weeks ago, where they set up their 2 footer on a section of track outside the building.  The Mack was parked off to the side and having the AMT R685ST kit doing nothing I decided why not?  The 688 has a 350hp engine and this one has an elongated left side fuel tank.  The real one has some lettering beneath the MLM logo on the door presumably from the previous owner which is peaking out above and below.

The model has an E7 from Auslowe, 1/4 fenders cut down from Auslowe fenders and a few scratch parts.

P1030648.jpg

P1030643.jpg

P1030645.jpg

P1030646.jpg

P1030647.jpg

P1030649.jpg

Edited by Warren D
replace photos
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, Jim B said:

Great looking Mack. You going to do the locomotive now?

It would have to be totally scratch built.  I have a Gulfcraft whale watch boat I started 20 years ago that still isn't finished so the odds of me completing a locomotive before I die are pretty slim.

16 hours ago, Engine 51 said:

Very nice!

Thanks!

15 hours ago, Gary Chastain said:

Nicely done

Thanks

12 hours ago, vincen47 said:

Excellent! As a railfan, as well as a truck fan, this is a great idea for a build! When you’re adding some more photos, show off that E7, if you can. Great build.

Thanks, had to glue the hood down, front radiator guard wouldn't allow it to tilt anyway.

11 hours ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

Looks great! Nice work!!

Thanks

46 minutes ago, yh70 said:

looks good

Thanks

On 2/20/2023 at 11:26 AM, ChrisR said:

Looks great!

Thanks

On 2/22/2023 at 2:43 PM, gotnitro? said:

Excellent job looks just like the real truck

Thanks, I noticed a few things I'd like to fix.

On 2/20/2023 at 7:08 PM, PappyD340 said:

Looks great!

Thanks

On 2/20/2023 at 2:04 PM, grodudulle77 said:

Nice build !! 👍😀

Thanks

On 2/20/2023 at 11:26 AM, ChrisR said:

Looks great!

Thanks

On 2/25/2023 at 7:37 PM, Dutzie said:

Great looking piece. Nice attention to detail. 

Thanks, I've noticed a few things I'd like to do to get it closer so I've decided to do another one once the parts come in.

• 2 months later...

I'm just now finding this build.  What a nice combination.

FWIW, there was a line of Maine 2-foot-gauge models made in 1:24 scale, to run on O Gauge track (2-rail, 1.25" gauge).  These were old-fashioned "craftsman kits" composed of wood bits and castings.  Locomotives and rolling stock were offered.  Product line was called Northeast Narrow Gauge, and was produced through the 1980s.

Unfortunately these models are rather obscure, buried under countless products from various manufacturers scaled to run on larger-gauged track.

Edited by Brian Austin
  • Like 1