Model Cars Magazine Forum

First look inside the Box: Salvinos JR Joey Logano Mustang

tim boyd

My advance ordered Salvinos JR Joey Logano Mustang was delivered on Saturday, February18, 2023, just a day before the 2023 Daytona 500 race.

At this link is a folder with 30 photos of the kit, starting with the box top, and proceeding through all the parts runners, decals sheets, etc. These are followed by a photo of each page of the instruction sheet.

DSC 0690

This is a highly, highly detailed model car kit. Parts are molded in four colors (yellow, black, silver, and white). Two full decal sheets with incredibly fine cut carrier film borders, sourced from PowerSlide decals, are very thorough and impressive.

The kit appears to share nearly all the underbody content with the earlier Salvinos JR Camaro kits, which is understandable giving the similarity of the NASCAR spec chassis. My only disappointment is that the engine, which of course in the real car is sourced from Ford, appears to share the Camaro parts in the kit. (I don't have the Camaro kit handy, so please correct me if I am wrong on the engine parts).

Anyone attempting to build this kit will have a long and hopefully enjoyable building experience. Certainly in terms of parts count and overall engineering, this kit appears to be one of the high points in the current state of the model car hobby.

Thanks for looking....TIM

PS - This kit was purchased by me with my money. There were no agreements with the kitmaker regarding the possibility of this on-line presentation, nor the content of same.

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

One additional piece of info, the engine is the same from the Camaro kits, they (Salvino's/Mikes Decals) keep adding additional detail decals to the decal sheets,  so that is cool, new on the Fords ( they might be on the latest Camaro kits too) window tear off pulls and jack bolt marking decals.

Edited by martinfan5

8 minutes ago, martinfan5 said:

One additional piece of info, the engine is the same from the Camaro kits, they (Salvino's/Mikes Decals) keep adding additional detail decals to the decal sheets,  so that is cool, new on the Fords ( they might be on the latest Camaro kits too) window tear off pulls and jack bolt marking decals.

Thanks Jonathon for the additional insights....and yes, I am reading that others too have also come to the same conclusion as you and I about the engine same being the same as in the Camaro kits.   Best...TB

• Like 1

So the Ford-branded cars in NASCAR today still have 'Ford' based engines, and are not just a generic power unit?  I haven't paid close attention to NASCAR in years...  they have a spec chassis but not a spec engine apparently..

Edited by Rob Hall
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

So the Ford-branded cars in NASCAR today still have 'Ford' based engines, and are not just a generic power unit?  I haven't paid close attention to NASCAR in years...  they have a spec chassis but not a spec engine apparently..

They aren't spec engines like say Super GT or something, but for the most part there are only one or two places making engines for each manufacturer and everyone else buys engines from those shops.  Externally they are more or less the same, the main differences being how the air intakes attach, and SJR did address those changes between all three kits.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Yes, Roush-Yates makes the Ford engines, Hendrick and ECR make engines for the Chevy, they joined their engine departments a few years ago and work together on building the R07 Engines, and TRD makes Toyota engines, and thats it for the Cup Series.    Xfinity has some small engine builders left, but most of the teams are using engines from above,  the Truck Series is using crate engines from ILMOR.

Edited by martinfan5
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Tim, thanks for the post! Just received my kit as well. Something I find odd (unless I am missing it) is that I do not see a color call out on the instructions for the yellow color of the body. I know it comes molded in yellow, bit do you have any idea what a close approximation to "Shell yellow" might be?

Cheers

1 hour ago, SpikeSchumacher said:

Hi Tim, thanks for the post! Just received my kit as well. Something I find odd (unless I am missing it) is that I do not see a color call out on the instructions for the yellow color of the body. I know it comes molded in yellow, bit do you have any idea what a close approximation to "Shell yellow" might be?

Cheers

It is Pennzoil yellow.

1 hour ago, herbertb said:

Say I want to build a Harvick car how hard is it going to be to to cover the yellow plastic?

Or wait until Salvino JR Models brings out a Harvick car. They say they will cover most of the teams this year now that they have license for Camaro, Mustang and Toyota

4 hours ago, herbertb said:

Say I want to build a Harvick car how hard is it going to be to to cover the yellow plastic?

They are releasing two Discount Tire #2 kits( 2022 500 winner/2023), I going to say those are going to be molded in white, so I would say get one of those if you want a white body.

Edited by martinfan5

5 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

Shell owns Pennzoil, very slight difference in the colors.

I know, but to me (at least) it looks like the brighter, more vibrant yellow that Pennzoil sponsored cars have been over the years when you compare it to the "Shell Yellow" that was traditionally used in their Red/Yellow schemes.

2 hours ago, jjsipes said:

Or wait until Salvino JR Models brings out a Harvick car. They say they will cover most of the teams this year now that they have license for Camaro, Mustang and Toyota

At this time there is no licensing agreement with RFK, the only Ford team currently licensed is Penske.  It's possible more may be coming in the future, but even then there's no surety which livery would be decided on to be produced. 

4 hours ago, herbertb said:

If you're talking about the 2022 Gearwrench car that Powerslide is going to do, skip the yellow plastic and buy the Austin Cindric kit - that will be molded in white.  For 2023 liveries, again the Cindric car will be molded in white.

19 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Thanks Jonathon for the additional insights....and yes, I am reading that others too have also come to the same conclusion as you and I about the engine same being the same as in the Camaro kits.   Best...TB

The Revell Gen 6 kits were the same way the, the engines were same between the Chevy/Ford, the only difference is Revell did tool up different valve covers for each make, but every other engine piece was the same.

5 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

Shell owns Pennzoil, very slight difference in the colors.

Its what I plan on using, and used on the Gen 6 Logano one I built, its close enough for me , just not the pearl this time😄.  I think one of Tamiya's TS sprays might actually be closer match, but I'd need to do some more research.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

Its what I plan on using, and used on the Gen 6 Logano one I built, its close enough for me , just not the pearl this time😄.  I think one of Tamiya's TS sprays might actually be closer match, but I'd need to do some more research.

TS-47 is your huckleberry...

• Like 1

On 2/20/2023 at 11:06 PM, Rob Hall said:

Well the NASCAR Ford FR-9 is not that Ford based as it's not a production engine, it's especially developed for NASCAR by Doug Yates and not available in any form in any car from the Ford factory.

On 2/20/2023 at 11:22 PM, niteowl7710 said:

They aren't spec engines like say Super GT or something, but for the most part there are only one or two places making engines for each manufacturer and everyone else buys engines from those shops.  Externally they are more or less the same, the main differences being how the air intakes attach, and SJR did address those changes between all three kits.

You forgot the most noticable parts on the engines, namely the shape of the heads and valve covers wich are very different between Ford FR-9 and Chevrolet R07, they could at least have done those 4 parts right but it doesn't look like they did.
Most of the rest of the engine is pretty much covered by the air cleaner and vents.

On 2/20/2023 at 11:41 PM, martinfan5 said:

Yes, Roush-Yates makes the Ford engines, Hendrick and ECR make engines for the Chevy, they joined their engine departments a few years ago and work together on building the R07 Engines, and TRD makes Toyota engines, and thats it for the Cup Series.    Xfinity has some small engine builders left, but most of the teams are using engines from above,  the Truck Series is using crate engines from ILMOR.

Yes that's it.

Edited by Force

• 1 month later...

P. S. I waited for the Cindric 2023 to get it molded in white.  Besides the new hood vent designs, another big difference vs the 2022 kits (Fords & Chevys) is the inclusion of a dash board for 2023.  You also get the 75th anniversary decal they all carry.

18 hours ago, BadJuju said:

Do these real Gen-7 NASCAR "Ford" & "Chevy" engines have different distributor placements?

Ford/Chevy/Toyota all have very similar placements ,  Ford/Chevy is on the outside on the side of the intake manifold, Toyota is on the underside.

Edited by martinfan5