Model Cars Magazine Forum

Complete: Dale Earnhardt Jr. 2004 Spring Atlanta Wnner

Billy Kingsley

This based almost completly on the Atlanta Golden Corral 500 winner. I detailed the front valence before I thought to look at the photos of it, so that is the only real diffrence from the car to the model. The real one was red tape.

There are a couple of firsts for me on this one. First, I tried the grill tape, which is a piece of Tamiya masking tape painted the same color as the body, and second, I used a Moden Motorsports roof cam for the first time. Since the Atlanta winner had a cam, I used BMF to make the silver stripe. I cut three pieces before I got it right.

Third, although not technically a first, is I opened the cowl area where the air gets into the engine. I had done it on Fords before but never a Chevy, so it's kind of a first :)

I also cut apart and re arranged some of the contingencys...I won't do that again....I'll use aftermarket indiviguals in the future!

I'm mad at two things on it...one, the most obvious, is that the D part in Bud that goes on the cowl is crooked, and two, is that I super glued the front suspension, then went to work on other subassemblys (specifically, the engine) but I didn't pay close attention, and it had popped off...but...only a little bit, and the super glue dried in a way that one of the front wheels is off the ground. :D

This was just a box of white plastic Monday morning, and I finished it last night...I'm very happy with the overall turnout and I am bringing it to Toledo with me.

It is the first time I tried to replicate an actual race winner, and it is the 57th NASCAR model I have built.

I got inspired by looking at dalejr.com...Dale has been one of my favorite drivers since 1998, but this is the first good model of his I have built!

Thanks and enjoy the pictures!

2006October4th009-vi.jpg

2006October4th010-vi.jpg

2006October4th011-vi.jpg

2006October4th012-vi.jpg

2006October4th013-vi.jpg

2006October4th014-vi.jpg

2006October4th015-vi.jpg

2006October4th016-vi.jpg

This is very small, this is the best picture I could get.

2006October4th017-vi.jpg