Model Cars Magazine Forum

Need Help with Brush Painting

First off…I am no paint expert…but I, personally would not brush paint a body. Assuming the worst case scenario…I would still step outside in -30 degree weather and spray bomb a coat on and step back inside. That said, some talented folks can achieve unbelievable results using brush techniques. I’m sure someone will offer more pertinent advice.

• Like 1

My understanding is that primer is just to help the paint adhere. If that's the case, I don't see much point in putting on more than one coat. My rule of thumb is one coat of primer, just enough paint to get good even coverage, and three coats of clear, then sand and polish the clear. Gives me good results.

11 hours ago, Horrorshow said:

The whole model is being brushed, but my concern is for the body… it’s gray Tamiya primer 

I'd second the "don't brush paint the body" sentiment. Spray bomb or air brush if you care about the look of the finished model. Primer should be thin coat(s) as should colour & clear.

For what it's worth, I bought one of these...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08RHWN398/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It works very well for containing overspray, but not as well for the odor. Running an exhaust fan in the window for a few minutes takes care of the smell. It's well worth it to be able to paint indoors any time.

Brush painting can be done OK.

You need to use thinned enamel pant like the Humbrol or Revell tinlets. This needs to be thinned a little with mineral turpentine and brushed on with a wide flat bush and flowed on. The reason to use the enamel paints is they are slow drying and do not set up between strokes like acrylic paint does. You cannot brush paint metallic paints successfully.

I have heard you can use laquear paints put on unthinned but you will be in for a big colour sand job at the end

Clear coating and colour sanding as if you spay painted works too but bear in mind that enamel paint takes an age to gas out. Colour sand and then let it gas out some more before trying to polish

This was how it was done before I started using an airbrush 

David, brush painting can be done but needs the right materials and experimentation to achieve good results. I do it because I model in the winter in Montreal. Personally I use acrylics for everything, plenty of thinning and multiple thin coats. I do polish the primer and clear layers but not the color coat.

Here's a few examples

Duel 14.jpg

Porsche 917K 2.jpg

Grand Sport 10.jpg

• Like 1

I would consider experimenting with this or something like it. Available at most hardware stores. It's oil based, but I've not tried adding it to model enamels. I've used it straight as a sealer for metal objects and it's streak free. It's intended to cut brush marks. It also may slow the drying time, which is good because it give the paint a chance to level. I would definitely test first but it could be helpful.

Penetrol.png.bae7cb2da8760b97ff10324b98426f4c.png