Model Cars Magazine Forum

Someone scratchbuilt a model motorcycle using a "3D pen" (plastic extruder). Fascinating build video

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Definitely a tool worth adding to the box, and impressive skills, but a lot of that work would be much more logically accomplished starting with styrene sheet and tube/shapes.

Sure, but building a model using more conventional methods would not get very many views online.  "Building" a model basically free-hand, using a pen dispensing a liquid plastic is more of an art than a skill of building a model using what I would call "conventional engineering" methods and materials.    I would almost compare this to free-hand paining a picture vs. doing one of those paint-by-numbers paintings.  Which would get more interest from an average person watching the video?  I suspect that this video is not just done to show off skills, but to  make some money. 

As I see it, the Internet (and ability to share videos with the world has created this phenomenon of showing one's talent to make some dough.

6 minutes ago, peteski said:

Sure, but building a model using more conventional methods would not get very many views online...

...As I see it, the Internet (and ability to share videos with the world has created this phenomenon of showing one's talent to make some dough.

Agreed, but my comment was specifically directed at the OP's mention that...

On 3/1/2023 at 12:55 AM, Brian Austin said:

Perhaps a technique or two could come in handy in our work?

...which is entirely possible, but hardly a replacement for more conventional approaches, as this is a scale modeling site, if I'm not mistaken, and not a scattershot appeal to the lowest common denominator...as is YT.  :D