Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford Lotus "Indy" Racer Parts

20 hours ago, Miatatom said:

It's the 29 from the Testors series, Those Famous Fords.

IIRC, the original issue of that kit came with too-tall, soft, solid one-piece vinyl tires appropriate to an earlier Indy "roadster" style of car.

A later issue came with two-part hard styrene copies of that too-tall tire.

Yet another issue came with awful square-shouldered hollow tires that were completely wrong too.

These from Indycals that stavanzer linked to would be the hot setup, if they ever come back. 

I'll be watching too, as I need some, and I'll give you a heads-up if I see 'em.

63gurneylotus.jpg

When I saw that AMT was releasing the Lotus29, I snagged one of IndyCals correction sets before I even had the car. Got lucky, I guess. I figured that with the reissue of the kit he would bring his set back, but I guess not. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Yup.

1965 Indianapolis 500 : Jim Clark, Lotus-Ford 38 #82, Team Lotus ...

Jim Clark's Lotus-Ford 38/1 - 1965 Indy 500 Winner | Flickr

I wonder why the number in the top pic is 83 but the kit decals are 82?

The kit came with one half of one of the air ducts missing. It was still wrapped in plastic but I bought it from an individual, so they may have rewrapped it. I may take a shot at making a mold and casting the missing piece. But then, that would cover up the velocity stacks which I think look cool.

27 minutes ago, Miatatom said:

I wonder why the number in the top pic is 83 but the kit decals are 82?

The 83 car is another restored Lotus 38, not Clark's Indy winner.

I chose that particular photo of a 38 as I felt it best illustrated the square shoulders and wider treads of the later tires.

4 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

The 83 car is another restored Lotus 38, not Clark's Indy winner.

I chose that particular photo of a 38 as I felt it best illustrated the square shoulders and wider treads of the later tires.

Gotcha. I found these but they're for the 64, not 65 car. They look pretty close. Gotta measure them. The stuff in the kit is just awful.

https://themodelcarchannel.store/collections/1-24-1-25-indycars/products/1964-1-25-black-indy-resin-tires-stones-one-set-2-fronts-2-rears

14 minutes ago, Miatatom said:

Gotcha. I found these but they're for the 64, not 65 car. They look pretty close. Gotta measure them. The stuff in the kit is just awful.

https://themodelcarchannel.store/collections/1-24-1-25-indycars/products/1964-1-25-black-indy-resin-tires-stones-one-set-2-fronts-2-rears

Thanks for the link. Those look good.