Model Cars Magazine Forum

What is your oldest unfinished W.I.P

12 hours ago, Mark said:

'53.  I've always liked those Monogram tires.  Just wish they were a tad wider, two of them as rear tires would make a nice "big and little" combo with the smaller Monogram tires, or even old AMT Trophy Series tires.

Interesting question 
It made me wonder if you could set up four tires in the lathe and cut them with a scalpel much like in the pictures, four normal tires could be two narrow and two wide held together by the rims.FC43EDAA-CE37-4B69-9316-34461167BCE1.jpeg.6a7988b21566b16ad320bd67f55505c4.jpegACCC8A2A-E908-4E91-8941-3F411826B879.jpeg.5bdf5e3eb52c0c715190b0cb4e3deb0f.jpeg

4 hours ago, Ulf said:

Interesting question 
It made me wonder if you could set up four tires in the lathe and cut them with a scalpel much like in the pictures, four normal tires could be two narrow and two wide held together by the rims.FC43EDAA-CE37-4B69-9316-34461167BCE1.jpeg.6a7988b21566b16ad320bd67f55505c4.jpegACCC8A2A-E908-4E91-8941-3F411826B879.jpeg.5bdf5e3eb52c0c715190b0cb4e3deb0f.jpeg

I have tried piecing two of the taller tires together to create a wider one, but was not successful.  I think I did find a couple of early AMT Trophy Series tires that are narrower than most others, that seem to work well with the taller Monogram 1/24 scale tires.

I started this Johan 69 Road Runner back in 93. I ordered the Perrys resin 440 six pack hood,front and rear seats and correct steel wheels a year later.Along the way,I lost most of the parts, including the chassis, interior bumpers, tail, lights, and grill during my various moves over the years.I replaced the chassis with most of the AMT 69 GTX running gear and interior over the years. The grill is a resin Modelhaus item I got from Don at a show in the early 2000s. I got the bumpers during the pandemic off eBay. The replacement tail lights and taillight bezels are from Harts Parts. I’ve sold my model collection off twice over the years and even quit building for a couple years but I never thought about selling it.Several years ago I learned that SMP decals made the sheet to do the Super Stock Magazine Project Six Pack Road Runner(One of my favorite drag cars of all time!) I will eventually build a replica of that car one of these days🤪

3D2F0563-845F-4F93-A4A9-BB66CEA47AED.jpeg

4D643D15-1BC4-463C-9E3B-5EED6DE3CA2C.jpeg

EF321EA1-A685-48FA-9E3C-DB91B7A99313.jpeg

Edited by catpack68
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, catpack68 said:

I started this Johan 69 Road Runner back in 93. I ordered the Perrys resin 440 six pack hood,front and rear seats and correct steel wheels a year later.Along the way,I lost most of the parts, including the chassis, interior bumpers, tail, lights, and grill during my various moves over the years.I replaced the chassis with most of the AMT 69 GTX running gear and interior over the years. The grill is a resin Modelhaus item I got from Don at a show in the early 2000s. I got the bumpers during the pandemic off eBay. The replacement tail lights and taillight bezels are from Harts Parts. I’ve sold my model collection off twice over the years and even quit building for a couple years but I never thought about selling it.Several years ago I learned that SMP decals made the sheet to do the Super Stock Magazine Project Six Pack Road Runner(One of my favorite drag cars of all time!) I will eventually build a replica of that car one of these days🤪

3D2F0563-845F-4F93-A4A9-BB66CEA47AED.jpeg

4D643D15-1BC4-463C-9E3B-5EED6DE3CA2C.jpeg

That is so cool!

1 hour ago, catpack68 said:

I started this Johan 69 Road Runner back in 93. I ordered the Perrys resin 440 six pack hood.......

And you are still waiting for it? LOL

Seriously, I have had a partially built one for longer than that. Maybe yours will give me inspiration to get it back on the bench.

• Like 1

The Dodge Charger and Challenger from the movie Death Proof (2007) to go along with the Nova I did finish. Both the cars are nearly done but they just sit in their boxes. No interest. Maybe someday right?

• Like 1

Me isn't even a car. I bought a 1/700 scale model of the ship I served on in the Navy. It's the USS Norfolk DL-1. The 1:1 was 540 feet long, the model is about 7" or 8" long. I don't know if I'll ever finish it. My skills are diminishing and the kit is full of tiny photoetch parts. The guy that sold it to me warned me it was for someone with real skills. I thought I could do it but I don't know. I wish I could find someone that could build it for me. I returned to cars about the same time that i bought it. That was 2011. I'd pay someone to build it if they were close to Chattanooga, TN.

Edited by Miatatom

Good topic. I have a few that stalled around the same time (about almost 30 years ago). The body on this one originally got channeled back in the late 70's then thrown in the parts box for about 15 years. It got unstalled the first time when it got pulled out and brought to the point you see here, so it technically is my oldest stalled project. It's been stalled for about 28 years.

3qtrFrontLR-vi.jpg

SideLR-vi.jpg

RearLR-vi.jpg

ChassisLR-vi.jpg

• Like 1

My return to modeling cars around 1995...bought a used ZZ top 33 Ford coupe kit on a sales table

Thought it would make a good salt flats race car.

Chopped the top, made an Ardun blown flathead ala a Pierson Coupe...

One thing led to another, and never finished it.

28 years and counting.........

34 Lakester Ardun 1.JPG

Edited by SpeedShift

A JoHan Javelin, a JoHan Mustang funny car, and an MPC Pinto, coincidentally all started in 1984.
720D5644-DFB2-4C0D-8A41-FEA9E3A84E64.thumb.jpeg.28573443edaed8c246f2c2a02c6f251f.jpeg

98E7BE80-2202-4F75-B519-E2BA291E93AD.thumb.jpeg.7d5bfe3a6791f61d7ab9ae7db4321417.jpeg

C68BD6CC-5FA2-4C95-8C90-B4801DAF66DF.thumb.jpeg.cfa35e475b12bb9012ddb82976cc33aa.jpeg

The Pinto went back in the box when ambition out paced talent & knowledge in my attempt to scratch a four link rear suspension. The Javelin, because I didn’t like the direction it was going (your eyes don’t deceive you, that’s purple shag in the interior). I quit the Mustang because I couldn’t find any satisfactory decals (pre-Slixx era, of course). I see now its lost its engine somewhere along the way. 

Edited by Bainford

I wanted a Hubley '32 chevy coupe for my 13th birthday in 1967. My Mom got it for me. I opened the box, fiddled with it a bit and was going to make a street rod out of it. Never got past a few swipes at its metal body with a file and sticking the tires on the wheels. It sits in my stash to this day.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Rodent said:

And you are still waiting for it? LOL

Seriously, I have had a partially built one for longer than that. Maybe yours will give me inspiration to get it back on the bench.

i did receive the Perrys items as they are in the pics.It only took a couple of weeks back in the 90s😆  

• 2 weeks later...

The oldest is most likely a Revell '69 Charger I started sometime around 2000, to build a more accurate General Lee.  I got the engine built and detailed, and some of the interior.  I sanded off the vinyl top, and somewhere along the way mangled the "vents" on the doors.  So I got another kit, only to find it was the original issue with the inaccurate roof. I've got all the DOH specific parts to finish it, just haven't brought it back to the bench.  

40+ years

I started and lost interest in this project when I was in Jr. High School (about 1981). It was re-discovered after a recent move.

My parents briefly looked into buying a Toyota Chinook which was my inspiration. They ended up getting an 82 Ford conversion van.

JoHan 64 Cadillac + El Camino camper + Dodge van interior + Ford Bronco suspension and wheels.

Carmak

Cadillac Camper 01.jpg

Cadillac Camper 02.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/3/2023 at 3:28 PM, catpack68 said:

I knew Ted Struse. He had this car in his garage. Ted also founded MSC Model Products, which was one of the pioneers of the model car aftermarket. He was a super nice guy. Those decals look great! At one time, I found an auction site that had a ton of photos of the car. It looks like this photo may be from that site. It had pretty much anything you'd need to build it!

I have a '70 GTX that I started some sort of project with back in '70 (probably killing time while waiting to go into the Navy). And what year did the AMT '40 Ford panel come out?

I'm sure there's one or two others that I started back then packed away in boxes.