Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pyro 1915 Model T Ford Coupelet

ismaelg

Hello,

Definition of Pyromania: Impulse control disorder in which individuals repeatedly fail to resist impulses to deliberately start fires.

ALTERNATE DEFINITION: A modeler who likes Pyro Models   
I fall in this alternate category. :)

I posted elsewhere I recently acquired a few 1/32 scale Pyro models of classic and brass era cars.   
I was pleasantly surprised to find the kits (I opened them all for inspection) are far better than I anticipated.  Crisp and beautiful moldings, excellent details, clear parts, some have brass colored plated parts that have survived the test of time and even engines are included.  And these are all 1/32 scale.  The only "drawback" if you will, is that some are molded in strong colored plastic like green or purple.

I chose the 1915 Ford Model T Coupelet as the first one to build. Or at least to start.  This one is mostly white plastic.  

As many of you know, I am a factory stock guy. I'm not really into early hot rods.  So no, I'm not dropping a Corvette 427 triple carb big block engine in it.

2v2eQDAc2xJ21ND.jpg

2v2eQVR14xJ21ND.jpg
This kit is from 1967.  To put it in perspective, I was born 3 years later,  my father (22 at the time) was recovering from serious wounds in Vietnam (and receiving his Purple Heart) and Lyndon B. Johnson was the President of the United States.

I thought the multipiece body (5 parts) was going to be a hassle, but Tamiya precision came to mind. These are just "test fitted" with a tiny drop of glue on each part.
2v2eQVtQWxJ21ND.jpg

Here it is just placed on top of the chassis. No fitting has been done other than cutting the parts from the sprue. The fit is excellent!
2v2eQVtZgxJ21ND.jpg

So yeah, my project hopping syndrome is in high gear...
2v2eQVtaCxJ21ND.jpg

Any Model T experts here?  I'm sure I'll run into tons of questions.

Thanks,
Ismael

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

One out, two in. Let me explain:  The body halves (left and right) were glued.  The seam was worked with putty. Primer shows a hint of tweaking still pending, but moving in the right direction.
Then I added the two weld lines as per references. 

This is a coupe body but notice the weld lines on both sides.
2v2ebyd94xJ21ND.jpg

I started by working the middle seam line. Still a bit more sanding to do but getting there.  Then I added the 2 weld lines with ultra thin strips of aluminum tape for a hint of thickness.
2v2ebyFeFxJ21ND.jpg

This is how it looks on the chassis
2v2ebyFaqxJ21ND.jpg

2v2ebyFZdxJ21ND.jpg

Thanks,
Ismael

• Like 2

HA!

For some reason my forum account doesn't have the option for me to leave a like or a reaction.  But I got a chuckle out of Tony's comment! :) 

Hello again,

Rescribed the faint door lines.  Keep in mind these are the width of a #11 blade.
2v2eKg9QqxJ21ND.jpg

2v2eKg9bFxJ21ND.jpg

Added some material to the trunk to close the gap to the body.
2v2eKg9KdxJ21ND.jpg

A bit more tweaking but it is getting there.
2v2eKg91yxJ21ND.jpg

2v2eKg9p5xJ21ND.jpg

Conversation with myself: What the heck are you doing?
2v2eKFGqdxJ21ND.jpg

Thanks,
Ismael

• Like 3

Hello,

Ehh... I may have been carried away.  I did my own hinged trunk lid with under bracing like the real one, but I also did a wood floor for the trunk since it will be visible.  I knew those coffee stirrers would be useful some day!

Pardon the crappy cell phone video.

Thanks,
Ismael

Hello,

Noel, I have no idea what happened to their tooling. Will be interesting to find out.

With the intention of displaying the hood with one side open, I thinned the parts for a better scale appearance.  You can compare to the untouched part on the right.
2v2e1cQbvxJ21ND.jpg

The kit's muffler (on the left) was removed and replaced.  Don't worry, the tiny gap between the tubes will be addressed.
2v2e1cQKUxJ21ND.jpg

Finally, added head bolts to the engine. A tiny drop of white glue and a touch of brown paint.  It will eventually be blended and become a bit darker.
2v2e1cQ1jxJ21ND.jpg

Thanks,
Ismael

• Like 1

Hello,

Slowly but surely, the 1/32 chassis is progressing. 

Some models are way too realistic: The muffler and exhaust were a bear to fit interfering with the suspension and chassis. Just like a 1:1 project.     🙂

Too bad pretty much everything is some shade of black here. 

2v2e14GmFxJ21ND.jpg

2v2e14GTdxJ21ND.jpg

2v2e14GVLxJ21ND.jpg

2v2e14NiyxJ21ND.jpg

Thanks,
Ismael

• Like 2

Excellent work. Nice to see a vintage kit built with attention to details unthought of when the kit was new. From what I have read Mr.Ford used the black paint predominantly seen in that era because it dried very quickly thus speeding up production a few minutes. Another story concerning those wooden floor boards is that Henry specified a very specific type and length of boards be used for some of the components he ordered from outside suppliers that were delivered to his factories on pallets.Those pallets boards were then used for the boards. Smart man indeed.

• Like 1

Hello,

According to my research, all 1915 Model T Coupelets (I've found like 5 examples online) had very small oval windows on the sides of the top.
2v2epuMNoxJ21ND.jpg 

The top in the model does not have these.  I suspect that since Pyro had a reputation of modeling very specific cars they had access to,  most likely the 50 years old car they used had a replacement or refurbished top at the time without those.  
Anyways, I'll try to add them.
2v2epJ2rMxJ21ND.jpg

2v2epJ2z3xJ21ND.jpg

2v2epJ2M2xJ21ND.jpg

After that I tried to add some texture. The part is way too smooth on the sides. Looks like a body panel instead of a soft top.
2v2epJ32UxJ21ND.jpg

Thanks,
Ismael

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ismaelg said:

Hello,

According to my research, all 1915 Model T Coupelets (I've found like 5 examples online) had very small oval windows on the sides of the top.
2v2epuMNoxJ21ND.jpg 

The top in the model does not have these.  I suspect that since Pyro had a reputation of modeling very specific cars they had access to,  most likely the 50 years old car they used had a replacement or refurbished top at the time without those.  
Anyways, I'll try to add them.
2v2epJ2rMxJ21ND.jpg

2v2epJ2z3xJ21ND.jpg

2v2epJ2M2xJ21ND.jpg

After that I tried to add some texture. The part is way too smooth on the sides. Looks like a body panel instead of a soft top.
2v2epJ32UxJ21ND.jpg

Thanks,
Ismael

I wonder if covering the top in some tape, and painting it might provide a bit better appearance? It won't be the heavy grain of the original, but it'll be an improvement over the smooth surface.

Charlie Larkin