Model Cars Magazine Forum

collectors choice special edition- 1961 Impalas

MR BIGGS

Just got them in yesterday. We will be the only one's carring them, besides a few other hobby stores we sell to. We had to pay some good money for a special run of them.

I'm pretty sure both of those kits are scheduled for normal distribution, they were originally scheduled for release late last year.

-Steve

I have the convertible that was supposed to be a lowrider and was really disappointed in the wheels and tires.They don't even closely represent whats on the box.The wheels look more like a hubcap and the tires aren't low profile.They may be for a factory version perhaps. :rolleyes:

Sorry about the quality but this is the best photo I have of what's actually in the box.

Picture048-vi.jpg

I have the convertible that was supposed to be a lowrider and was really disappointed in the wheels and tires.They don't even closely represent whats on the box.The wheels look more like a hubcap and the tires aren't low profile.They may be for a factory version perhaps. :(

I do agree with you 99GT. the rims are ######. I usually toss them out anyway and replace them with the Pegasus 1109's. Other then that it’s a nice kit. We got all three 61 Impalas in. the 61 Impala convertible, 61 Impala H/T 409 and the Don Nicholson version.

Steve if they are going to put them out they have to wait till the end of the year or next year to do so, we got a special run and got to be able to sell some of ours first. We are also a world wide distributer too So if you see some out there, they probably came from us.

Steve if they are going to put them out they have to wait till the end of the year or next year to do so, we got a special run and got to be able to sell some of ours first. We are also a world wide distributer too So if you see some out there, they probably came from us.

My information may be old but that's what I was told late last year. Seems funny they would be in the current catalog and also be an exclusive but I guess anythings possible.

Steve

My information may be old but that's what I was told late last year. Seems funny they would be in the current catalog and also be an exclusive but I guess anythings possible.

Steve

The way things are going with money now a day's anything is possable, Thank god we got money. Today my partner just called me from his trip to the toy convention in NY and told me we got our wish from Revell. They are going to let us have a 3,000 kit special edition run on the 1986 cutlass supreme. And the best part is they will be a lowrider version not the donk. They give us 1 year before they can release it them selves.

The way things are going with money now a day's anything is possable, Thank god we got money. Today my partner just called me from his trip to the toy convention in NY and told me we got our wish from Revell. They are going to let us have a 3,000 kit special edition run on the 1986 cutlass supreme. And the best part is they will be a lowrider version not the donk. They give us 1 year before they can release it them selves.

so when can we get our hands on them cuttys bigg dog?

:lol:

Guest promodmerc
Yes I got them too. just forgot to post it up. I will have them up later today, no later then tomorrow.

Sorry about that. :rolleyes:

I'll be impatiently waiting :D

For some reason I never bought these when they originally came out B)

I think that Lindberg’s ’61 Impala model kit is a very nice one. Despite to be the only one of this year/model, it seems to me better than almost all AMT’s and Revell’s Chevy Impalas.

Tell me something: is it truth that some edition back in the days was made with a little error between the hood and windshield? I listened that some were very straight opposite to the original curvature. Is that true?

That’s my ’61 convertible. Totally stock. I have changed the lowrider hubcaps with original ones from ’61 Impala HT and opened the truck…

Impala%2061_01.jpg

Impala%2061_02.jpg

Impala%2061_03.jpg

I have the convertible that was supposed to be a lowrider and was really disappointed in the wheels and tires.They don't even closely represent whats on the box.The wheels look more like a hubcap and the tires aren't low profile.They may be for a factory version perhaps. :rolleyes:

They are NOT factory. They were supposed to be Dayton-style lowrider wires. To this day I still do not get why Lindberg/Craft House did up the kit this way. The original plan was to do the kit as a NON-SS Impala droptop (I know that for a fact - I was consulted in the planning stages!). That was the year that RPM sold Lindberg/Craft House to a venture capital firm and all of the good work and good relationships Lindberg built up with the modeling community unravelled.

Replace the wires with Modelhaus '61 Chevy AMT hubcap repops, change the intake system to trips (Monogram '59-'60 Chevies or the AMT '59 Elky can supply that), leave off the grab handle on the dash, and use Model Car Garage's NON-SS photoetched side emblems. That's what I did for my non-SS '61. Simple but effective.

Tell me something: is it truth that some edition back in the days was made with a little error between the hood and windshield? I listened that some were very straight opposite to the original curvature. Is that true?

BEAUTIFUL car Drago! B)

Yes, the first runs of the Lindberg Impala's were incorrect (too round) in respect to the windshield/cowl/dash shape as well as the hood. In the later runs the tooling was changed and those errors fixed.

It was also said the body was a bit shallow-------but I don't see it in the examples that have been posted.

I have the hardtop..............one can't have enough '61 models especially when the car is the same age as you. :lol:

The only thing that bugs me about the building the hardtop is the same thing that plagues the ERTL '57 Chrysler 300 kit--------the glass is waaaaay too thick making the distortion of the glass unacceptable to me.

I want, I want, I want!!!! Did I mention that I want this kit?

Anthony, what makes them a special edition kit? Are there new build options? I have a 61 ragtop I just bought at my regular hobby shop so I know it was new inventory for him. Only difference I see is that my box features a red Impala convertible. Just curious if yours come with something special?

They did them in brown for us, I never liked the red plastic cause it always bleeded throug most primers and clear. second they where not going to make them anymore, so we had to put in a real big order for them to pop out 5,000 of them. just like the olds cutless they are doing a 3,000 piece order for us in the lowrider edition. They wanted to bring out the Donk version, but no way would I let that happen. They give us one year of receiving our kit's to sell them before they can put out their own.