Model Cars Magazine Forum

What is the ONE model kit that you would consider the “holy grail” for yourself?

While downstairs working on a model this morning, and letting my eyes wander around as is usually the case, I once again thought about the one model kit I would really like to build again. It’s been years since I built an AMT 1928 Ford Sedan during my teenage years, however, I think about it quite often as it was the only model my late Dad ever said anything about. The model was built hot rod style and painted red with black accents, the only two colors I had to my name at the time. Dad was never a “friend” and later in his life I didn’t like him, or his ways, at all. However, the memories of this one occasion where he actually showed some positive interest in what his son was doing, along with the actual liking of the ‘28 Ford Sedan model, has remained with me for all these years. This AMT 1928 Ford Sedan kit is my personal “holy grail” kit, and, perhaps one day I will find an affordable kit in good condition and build it again for old times sake before checking out. So, what is the ONE model kit that you would like to have in your kit collection as the “holy grail” ?  🙂

Joe 

Edit:  sorry for not having a photo of this kit. Tried to upload one from the web and wasn’t successful at this point. 😕

Edited by Joe Nunes
  • Like 1

I guess I consider myself pretty lucky. Over the last 4 years i was in a reasonably well paid job so i bought up most of my grails while i could. But theres one that still eludes me and thats the tom daniels lil van kit as its all i need to complete my vw styrene collection

81jQ83VfIrL.jpg

1 hour ago, stitchdup said:

I guess I consider myself pretty lucky. Over the last 4 years i was in a reasonably well paid job so i bought up most of my grails while i could. But theres one that still eludes me and thats the tom daniels lil van kit as its all i need to complete my vw styrene collection

81jQ83VfIrL.jpg

You have a Sand Crab, Les?

Rare as hens teeth, classic plastic Monogram's Sand Crab is built!!! -  iModeler

2 hours ago, stitchdup said:

81jQ83VfIrL.jpg

Yes Les another kit I'd go for! I built one about 10 years ago!

I have many "Holy Grail" kits I'd love to get again. Only two sticks out as THE holy grail kit I want again....

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/mpc-1-0412-off-road-pickup-camper--1276198

The other is the KISS van

There are others too:

Smokey the Convoy Chaser

Force 440

Cop Out

Squad Rod

Ice Patrol

BJ & the Bear Kenworth rig

Movin' On television series rig

Rubber Duck Convoy rig

Numerous Tom Daniel's Design kits such as:

Cherry Bomb

Vandal/Vanbulance

Tijuana Taxi

Bad Medicne

Like I said, I have quite a few on my list I'd love to get again

Edited by BlackSheep214

8 hours ago, Joe Nunes said:

While downstairs working on a model this morning, and letting my eyes wander around as is usually the case, I once again thought about the one model kit I would really like to build again. It’s been years since I built an AMT 1928 Ford Sedan during my teenage years, however, I think about it quite often as it was the only model my late Dad ever said anything about. The model was built hot rod style and painted red with black accents, the only two colors I had to my name at the time. Dad was never a “friend” and later in his life I didn’t like him, or his ways, at all. However, the memories of this one occasion where he actually showed some positive interest in what his son was doing, along with the actual liking of the ‘28 Ford Sedan model, has remained with me for all these years. This AMT 1928 Ford Sedan kit is my personal “holy grail” kit, and, perhaps one day I will find an affordable kit in good condition and build it again for old times sake before checking out. So, what is the ONE model kit that you would like to have in your kit collection as the “holy grail” ?  🙂

Joe 

Edit:  sorry for not having a photo of this kit. Tried to upload one from the web and wasn’t successful at this point. 😕

This one?

• Thanks 1

Airfix Morris Marina. I did win a bid on ebay a few months back. The seller didn't know what he had and I got it for £30, but he refunded me soon after and came up with the most ridiculous excuses as to why. He was obviously offered a lot more by someone and just stopped responding to my messages. Incredibly frustrating but happens to me a lot. I was surprised I got those annual Chargers the other week for what I paid for them, I was actually expecting to be gazumped on those too but for once didn't happen.

marinas.jpg