Model Cars Magazine Forum

What is the ONE model kit that you would consider the “holy grail” for yourself?

On 3/11/2023 at 9:25 PM, iamsuperdan said:

I'm lucky in that I have the means to just pick up whatever kit I want.

But there are a number of "holy grail" kits that I have never gotten around to purchasing. Either because they were more money than I want to spend on a kit, or I was just lazy and haven't done it yet.

1978-ford-thunderbird-32-model-kit_1_cd1a805054b543c089d6434a54fde9f5.jpg

revell 340te.jpg

volvo1.jpg

volvo2.png

airfix shaun.jpg

Got Shaun the Sheep in Toronto while on vacation a couple years ago. It was impossible to find on the American side of the border. I also picked up the tractor kit too.

If I was only going to get one more kit as my Holy Grail, then it would have to be this Datsun Laurel:

Picture 1 of 2

Obscure car, and probably not a great kit, but it would complete a run of successive generation Laurels (I'm missing the very earliest and latest versions, but I'm not aware of them being available in kit form).

On 3/14/2023 at 7:22 PM, catpack68 said:

One more holy grail model I would like have.I would LOVE for Tamiya to reissue this one. Hell,I can’t afford the real one or the model🤣

549B6D3A-6922-4291-A5D9-60CE5914F571.jpeg

You and me both man.  I would LOVE to have this kit as well, but it's so expensive sigh.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Aurora Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

I have a partial, kit missing all the Chrome and All Body Parts. It has the Chassis,  Wheels, Radiator Shell, and Hood.

I've wanted to try to build the car as it appears in the opening credits as a Racer. The Big Triangular Gas Tank behind the seats has me stumped.

I don't really have a Holy Grail, but the first 1/25 kit I bought with my own money and built with minimal Dad Help was the Mr. Norm Charger funny car. If I could get another one for a somewhat reasonable price I would like to build it again as Senior Citizen Me instead of 9 year old me.

Side note: Dad prepared me for adulting by letting me try to buy it with my $2.00 lawn mowing money. The California sales tax rate in 1969 is no longer in my brain, but I think Dad laughed and fronted me around 6 cents so I could get my kit.

More Old Guy Stories to come, stay tuned.

image.png.9bb091b9cc73c5b6a8fa5affa7df5f80.png

• Like 1

This is my current grail. I have been looking for a nice unbuilt complete kit for a while, but they tend to be pretty pricey. I have a built up and most of the later reissues, but I want an unbuilt original. Eventually, one will come my way at a price I am willing to pay. My intention is to build it. 776-1.jpg.67c8699fffef5e5510d4961e014c6fbc.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Closest thing to a "grail" at the moment...I understand there's a resin kit of Dean Jeffries' Mantaray, possibly based on a slotcar body shell.

Dean Jeffries' Mantaray! | The Jalopy Journal The Jalopy Journal | Cars ...

Yep, been watching for one for decades. Never understood why AMT or MPC never came out with a kit for one back in the 60's. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Closest thing to a "grail" at the moment...I understand there's a resin kit of Dean Jeffries' Mantaray, possibly based on a slotcar body shell.

There's a Nichimo one slot car kit on Feebay right now from Japan for only $530.

Nichimo 1/24 Hi Speed Custom Car Manta Ray Vintage Rare | eBay

7 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I think I have the Resin version of this, and for sure know that I have a Cheetah resin. Got it years ago from a fellow modeler in my club. 

• Like 1

I have finally tracked all of mine down, either through re-issues or through finding an old kit.

If I stumbled across this one at a show  (in one of it's various releases/manufacturers) I would probably scoop it up but  I am not going to search for it:

938535-11453-74-pristine.jpg

From what I have read, it is the best of the big Otaki cars.  When I was a kid, the Countach was the coolest car in the world. 

• Like 3