Model Cars Magazine Forum

What is the ONE model kit that you would consider the “holy grail” for yourself?

I've been very fortunate and blessed over the last decade to find most of my "holy grails" on eBay or the local toy show (including quite a few that have already been mentioned in this thread), or have them reissued. A while back I'd have said any '63-'65 AMT Nova, but then Mobius brought out a new, much better one. More recently I'd have said the AMT "Time Machine" '65 Chevelle AWB funny car, but that will be reissued soon, too. 

So....did JoHan do the '68 Road Runner, or did they start with '69? If they did one, then that. If not that, then I guess the JoHan '68 4-4-2, and while I'm dreaming, I want all the funny car parts in it, too. Or the JoHan '69 GTX. B)

• Like 2

Plymouth didn't commission a '68 RR or GTX promo from Jo-Han, so the '69 was the first.  Plymouth didn't request a RR promo until '71, so the '69 and '70 kits were done by Jo-Han out of their own pocket.  '71 was the opposite of '69-'70; '71 RR was promo and kit while GTX was kit only.

'68 4-4-2 kit is extremely tough to find.  I can probably count the number of boxed kits that I have seen on my fingers, and I wouldn't use all of them.  Promos and frictions are "more common", but you won't trip over any of those anywhere.

• Thanks 1

On 3/6/2023 at 4:12 PM, Dragonhawk1066 said:

I would have to say the MPC 1/16 Dodge Charger Street Machine, either edition, would have to be my Holy Grail kit.

bl1.jpg

mpc-dodge-charger-street-machine-16_1_081761365045ca034e00585bc33469d9.jpg

Only wish they would have put a stock chassis and firewall & inner fenders !

• Like 1

I did have a minor victory finding one kit that I thought I wouldn't be able to find.......... The Coyote X from the '80s TV show. The one I have is all there, unstarted, and has the decals and instructions........ The box is no good, so I was able to get it for reasonable money.......

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JollySipper said:

I did have a minor victory finding one kit that I thought I wouldn't be able to find.......... The Coyote X from the '80s TV show. The one I have is all there, unstarted, and has the decals and instructions........ The box is no good, so I was able to get it for reasonable money.......

I loved that show. I found that kit many years ago but it's been started poorly and I think it's missing the tires but the box I remember is in great shape. 

I'm lucky in that I have the means to just pick up whatever kit I want.

But there are a number of "holy grail" kits that I have never gotten around to purchasing. Either because they were more money than I want to spend on a kit, or I was just lazy and haven't done it yet.

1978-ford-thunderbird-32-model-kit_1_cd1a805054b543c089d6434a54fde9f5.jpg

revell 340te.jpg

volvo1.jpg

volvo2.png

airfix shaun.jpg

For a long time, mine was the Jo-Han pro stock Maverick (any iteration), but I finally built one last year.  

currently, I'll have to say it's the Revell "Sneaky Pete" Chevy pickup.  Hard to find a builder in any sort of decent shape.

On 3/11/2023 at 6:25 PM, iamsuperdan said:

I'm lucky in that I have the means to just pick up whatever kit I want.

But there are a number of "holy grail" kits that I have never gotten around to purchasing. Either because they were more money than I want to spend on a kit, or I was just lazy and haven't done it yet.

volvo1.jpg

volvo2.png

Got both from my days doing some contract work for Tamiya.  I use to chop them up to make customs.