Model Cars Magazine Forum

DDA Collectibles Holdens

Roncla

This new series of the Australian GM Holdens are now coming to market. There is a number of different cars and while they are appear to be a quick builder kit in the video they are sure to be of interest to those of us down under who grew up with these cars.

https://www.hearnshobbies.com/products/dda-collectibles-1-24-hq-holden-slammed-blown-4-door-sealed-body-opening-bonnet-with-engine

Screen Shot 2023-03-06 at 5.09.14 PM.png

SandmanPanelVancopy_1024x1024.jpg

• Like 3

These were discussed several months ago when they were initially announced. They're just plastic versions of their diecast line, so it's not so much a quick build as it is the simplified (and usually quirky, if not outright bad) result of pouring styrene through a diecast mold.

You usually wind up with very thick parts and bodies that are "slab sided" since the molds are designed to hold the thicker more viscous liquid metal than plastic. It's interesting subject matter, but I can't see paying their asking price for what I see in that video,  particularly when these aren't new molds, just re-purposing existing already paid for tooling.

Edited by niteowl7710

This particular kit is not my style, but I really like that there are Aussie car kits available now. Who cares how they are made? If they look good, then that's what matters the most. They seem to be selling super fast going by facebook comments/posts! The Torana XU1 is coming at some point as well, I believe. I will buy one of them!

Edited by Michael jones
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

You usually wind up with very thick parts and bodies that are "slab sided" since the molds are designed to hold the thicker more viscous liquid metal than plastic. It's interesting subject matter, but I can't see paying their asking price for what I see in that video,  particularly when these aren't new molds, just re-purposing existing already paid for tooling.

One thing to remember is that those prices are in Australian dollars. In US dollars, they're about $47. Still not cheap, but not as bad as it initially looks.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, vintagerpm said:

One thing to remember is that those prices are in Australian dollars. In US dollars, they're about $47. Still not cheap, but not as bad as it initially looks.

$47 before shipping is higher than anyone else's price for a new kit short of one of the crazy top-end Tamiya kits (Enzo, FXX-K, LFA, etc), Belkits (and now DModelkits) Rally offerings, and the MSRP on Salvinos JR.  All of those things being brand new tool (at the time) highly detailed plastic kits.  Not a - oh well let's run plastic through it and see what happens - recycling of a diecast tooling.  We all know what the Revell "dual use" kits are, and I don't think anyone around here actually appreciated the results of those kits in terms of fit, assembly, and body shell properties.  

I'm fully for the subject matter, give me cool Holdens & Ford Falcons, et al.  But it's 2023, I expect 2023 or there abouts quality in something that costs that much.  I'd happily pay $55-60 for one that fits the bill.

• Like 1

Personally I think these kits are great, the quality is equal to AMT kits. Some clean up and a bit of work required but overall ive been very impressed with the quality and fitment of the parts

The simplicity of the modular design between the 4 variations makes them very simple and enjoyable to build, just glue and screw. The kits remind me of the diecast to plastic that Revell has done in the past.

From what ive seen the kits are selling very well and I think what ever plastic kits DDA release will be very popular with us Aussie's

I am currently building the Kingswood version here

i5nQjWo.jpg

Im so happy to be able to build an Australian car in plastic, so I made sure to build up a stock pile and to support DDA in hopes they release a lot more plastic kits.

oj2KV30.jpg

The thickness of the body and the type of styrene reminds me of Aoshima kits.

skShORI.jpg

fI7kZu1.jpg

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask and I will do my best to try provide an answer.

Edited by Cool Hand
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Cool Hand said:

Personally I think these kits are great, the quality is equal to AMT kits. Some clean up and a bit of work required but overall ive been very impressed with the quality and fitment of the parts

The simplicity of the modular design between the 4 variations makes them very simple and enjoyable to build, just glue and screw. The kits remind me of the diecast to plastic that Revell has done in the past.

From what ive seen the kits are selling very well and I think what ever plastic kits DDA release will be very popular with us Aussie's

I am currently building the Kingswood version here

i5nQjWo.jpg

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask and I will do my best to try provide an answer.

What do the back door windows look like?

One of the visual oddities about this kit and it's "now in plastic" format is the front door window trim is molded with the doors since they previously opened on the diecast. I'm wondering if the rear door glass has a robust enough trim around it to actually be able to paint it body color.

On 3/7/2023 at 8:10 AM, niteowl7710 said:

$47 before shipping is higher than anyone else's price for a new kit short of one of the crazy top-end Tamiya kits (Enzo, FXX-K, LFA, etc), Belkits (and now DModelkits) Rally offerings, and the MSRP on Salvinos JR.  All of those things being brand new tool (at the time) highly detailed plastic kits.  Not a - oh well let's run plastic through it and see what happens - recycling of a diecast tooling.  We all know what the Revell "dual use" kits are, and I don't think anyone around here actually appreciated the results of those kits in terms of fit, assembly, and body shell properties.  

I'm fully for the subject matter, give me cool Holdens & Ford Falcons, et al.  But it's 2023, I expect 2023 or there abouts quality in something that costs that much.  I'd happily pay $55-60 for one that fits the bill.

Oh wow!

So I bought one at my local hobby shop for $75 AUD. Now keep in mind that the here my local hobby shop charge $80 for your AMT models kits and around $80-85 for Tamiya.

Maybe seeing as how crazy the last few years were and it is 2023, remember it is very expensive to export from Australia to the USA no different how Round 2/AMT charge us Australian’s such a high retail price for their products.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, niteowl7710 said:

What do the back door windows look like?

One of the visual oddities about this kit and it's "now in plastic" format is the front door window trim is molded with the doors since they previously opened on the diecast. I'm wondering if the rear door glass has a robust enough trim around it to actually be able to paint it body color.

Yeah at first glance it does seem odd, questioned it myself when I first seen the larger rear side window opening on a mates build up. But the trim on the window is very pronounced and will be easy to mask and paint

JLrpo3b.jpg

Also installing from the outside is different, but the fit up is very precise. When the trim is painted it does distract away from the approach taken with the rear side windows. 

sMjSNFj.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wonder what the postage is to the U.S. for one of these?

It would be nice if one of the more readily-available manufacturers in the U.S. picked up on the Australian stuff. They have some interesting cars.

One of the Valiants with the hemi-head six is a major want of mine...model and real.

Charlie Larkin

1 hour ago, charlie8575 said:

Wonder what the postage is to the U.S. for one of these?

It would be nice if one of the more readily-available manufacturers in the U.S. picked up on the Australian stuff.

One of the Valiants with the hemi-head six is a major want of mine...model and real.

Have a look on e-bay, might give you an idea of postage costs. 

I guess there would not be enough sales/profit to produce Australian stuff, other wise they would have surely produced something already.

18-21 seconds in on the second video Ron shared there are the Valiant Chargers on display. And going by what the guy said in the video, after every 1/24 diecast has been released 6-12 months later a plastic kit version will be available. So you might be able to get that Valiant R/T plastic model Charlie.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

A number I'd not mind buying.....but when I talked to DDA they said they will not sell outside AUS.........Almost like they were not permitted to......any inside on this??? The $47 plus shipping to USA will make them out of rnge for me. 

i ordered mine from hearns hobbies. they seemed fairly happy to send outside aus

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stitchdup said:

i ordered mine from hearns hobbies. they seemed fairly happy to send outside aus

I should have said I asked in they were going to have a US distributor like almost every other model company in the world has. They said they could not. ALMOST like it was not possible for them as a manufacture to do so. They said the only way to get product was to buy from AUS hobby shop. Seems odd that a manufacture would not want to sell product to the whole world via a DIST. Thanks

16 hours ago, Cool Hand said:

Do these represent any particular model year? Other than colour choices that changed year-to-year, are there any other changes in the cars themselves? Speaking of the GTS in particular.

50 minutes ago, Rodent said:

Do these represent any particular model year? Other than colour choices that changed year-to-year, are there any other changes in the cars themselves? Speaking of the GTS in particular.

They appear to be Holden HQs which were made between 1971-1974, with 1973 being the first year a 4 door Monaro GTS existed. In 1975 the line was facelifted into the HJ Generation and those have a different front and rear fascia compared to the model kit.

• Thanks 1