Model Cars Magazine Forum

My friend Jimmy asked me to build his 1941 Ford out of a '40 kit that he has had for quite some time.

Although started, I was able to carefully take it apart...

UabXtHib.jpg

This is his truck

aVsDmEeb.jpg

1Yvfs0Cb.jpg

05vFuKdb.jpg

IMG_3121_zpsjsabjv7e

IMG_3120_zpsedvbhrht

From the looks of it the only thing I will need to add are the extra chrome strips up the front of the hood, and take the bumperettes from the front bumper, and get rid of those louvers on the hood,... but if anyone sees anything else feel free to comment.

He tells me it's a Jaguar colour, but I keep bugging him saying 'why a Chevy colour on a Ford.'?..lol

More to follow as it happens

Cheers

• Like 1

Your friend's pick-up looks great, and this model will be a nice gift. The additional hood trim should be easily done with a few strips of plastic stock. You mentioned color and unless you have already found it, I'll mention that it looks like the Chevrolet #22 Lt. Blue Metallic from the seventies. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks david, I've checked my stock of evergreen/plastruct, and it looks like I'm making a trip to Dundas Valley Hobbies to pick up something suitable..1.0mm flat stock is just a little too big and 0.4 round rod doesn't suit.

Got the louvers off the hood and tailgate and the stake holes are filled..cleaning up all the part lines on the body and bed as well as...

mpbwyyj.jpg

Cheers

• Like 2

First coat of putty to get rid of the diamond pleat

WJBfxpG.jpg

After sanding and cleaning 2coats of primer sealer and then a couple of white primer

sdV1hov.jpg

The tailgate is already pulling the red through

This is his dashboard.

YxMfAQkb.jpg

Completely different from the kit supplied (looks like a deluxe dash from a coupe)

yUulP7G.jpg

I will need to customize this one 

Well, I'm working with this 1985 issue and, to tell the truth, I don't want to start tracking down an original issue,...I'll either scratch one up ....or look for a resin casting...someone's gotta make 'em...right..?

kgYoN8p.jpg

She's into primer after tweaking all door jambs, body mounts, hood, grill, bedsides, floor..everything lol

HDCi4rj.jpg

Oh, and I saw him this weekend and guess what..? It's got a mustang II front end in it, and a pumpkin rear...........

IMG_3119_zpsbzjkszic

...so, ...excuse me, I got some scratching to do, the Shelby GT-H has something that almost fits...get back to ya

Cheers

On 3/8/2023 at 12:22 PM, espo said:

I'll mention that it looks like the Chevrolet #22 Lt. Blue Metallic from the seventies. 

Couldn't find it in Crappy Tire, so I went with Duplicolor  #CBGM0423 Medium Maui Metallic Blue

WGBLGHF.jpg

H8YEy2F.jpg

KtuUk6I.jpg

It's pretty close..and looks much better in daylight....and am working on the extra spears and trim on the hood.

On 3/20/2023 at 1:35 PM, 68shortfleet said:

I have the  proper dash coming from 68shortfleet ..thanks Jason

I have I mentioned I hate red plastic kits..?

More to come as it happens..and thanks for the help so far gents

Cheers

• Like 1

5 hours ago, espo said:

Great looking color. Does it need a clear coat? These trucks had such great looking body lines. 

O yes..it needs a wet sand and another base, then another wet coat, and clear..

This old plastic is not liking Acrylic/Lacquer...lol

• 3 weeks later...

Updates....

Jimmy went through his stash, and found an unused PINT,.. ready for spray ...I mixed it up and snorkeled 2 oz. into an airtight jar.. wet sanding continues on the too dark med. met. mauwi blue

uW1YPBe.jpg

Also, 68shortfleet(Jason) sent me a resin casting of the proper dashboard...Thanks Jason

CuB1Ofu.jpg

I've decided to use the '57 snapkit wheels on some spare box tires..the rears are from the gt40 Snap and fronts from the '57 Snap

Wvd7tFG.jpg

Working on stance...

Cheers

• Like 2

I didn't make it to the hobby shop, so I cut my own strips out of 0.25mm

76aynwE.jpg

The Tamiya putty just wasn't doing it for me, so I laminated a piece of 0.25 to the door and trimmed it in 1\4 round.

2vRkS4O.jpg

..also found a bed in a 60 Custom Fleetside that fit perfectly, thus saving alot of masking later

azoqfrI.jpg

Also, the Jag paint I airbrushed on the dash and tailgate as a test, came out too silver so..

srN6Pqp.jpg

On 3/8/2023 at 12:22 PM, espo said:

I'll mention that it looks like the Chevrolet #22 Lt. Blue Metallic from the seventies. 

Thanks Espo, I drove to the Welland Crappy tire,..they showed 1 left on their website, and lo and behold...I'll prime the body white and try it out.

More as it happens

Cheers

Edited by Belugawrx
  • Like 1