Model Cars Magazine Forum

I was gifted several Willys Kits a while back.

The '33 is being kit-bashed into a 40's dirt track car, I'll do up a WIP thread later.

One of the 41's was built pretty much as an out-of-the-box Gasser.

Another was traded for some stuff including a flathead six engine which will wind up in this build:

WPU3.jpg.ba7ea58e73c78174ba949a54feaa70a5.jpg

This is the pickup version of the other 2-in-1 gasser kit which I'm building as a more-or-less stock Willys pickup.  Obviously, the blown gasser engine wouldn't be appropriate, hence the 6 banger.  I'm aware that Willys of this era were 4 cylinders, my story is that the 4 banger was worn out and replaced with the six.

WPU1.jpg.087d812ff8842b8e6fbd08ac391f8659.jpg

The flip-front hood/fender assembly would also be inappropriate, so I cut the hood free (multiple scores with the back of a #11 blade), filled the blower hole and glued the fender section to the cab with splices on the inside of the fender.  I used a little glazing putty to ease the transitions and bring everything up to level .  I put a bit of trim on the edges of the hood after cutting it free so that it sits properly on the fenders and doesn't just fall into the engine bay.  Thinking over options for hood hinges.

I have some nice steel wheels and narrow tires that will work well for this build.  The next step is to figure out the suspension.  Pretty sure the original bits from the kit will result in much too tall a stance, we'll see what can be done about that.

• Like 1