Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Ferrari Mythos

Jonathan

Well, this one took a minute.

I bought this kit when it first came out, which I think was in 1991.   It followed me around, unbuilt, until I started building it in 2002 or 2003.  Then, life happened, and it got put away.  I dug it out late last year (2022) with the intention of finishing it over Christmas break.  No, make that finishing it by January 1st, 2023.  Well, how about I finish it in March?   Special thanks to Leroy Long for helping me along with a missing part. :) 

Painted Tamiya Light Gun Metal TS-42, with Tamiya Semi-Gloss Bright Gun Metal TS-100 for the interior.  Polished out with Tamiya finishing compounds.   I added Eduard photoetched seatbelts, and that's it.  I think during final assembly, I got the rear of the cockpit tub a little low, as there is a small gap just behind the seats that I think shouldn't be there.  But it's done now.

7.jpg

1_orig.jpg

2_orig.jpg

3_orig.jpg

4_orig.jpg

5_orig.jpg

WIP here:  

Edited by Jonathan
  • Like 7

8 hours ago, SpikeSchumacher said:

Nicely done Jonathan! 👍

Thank you!

4 hours ago, bbowser said:

Well done model of a little known Ferrari.  I don't imagine many of these were produced?

Thank you.  As far as I know, there was only the one concept car built.

16 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Looks great, and a good color to highlight it's sculptural lines and curves.

Thank you.  I wanted to build it silver or gray from the start - all Ferrari's are red, right? :) 

14 hours ago, ybsluos said:

Beautiful build Jonathan!

Thank you!

12 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Excellent, and the colour choice is definitely better than the default red.

I did one years ago in solid, bright yellow with gunmetal wheels for the sake of doing something different. Not a small car either - certainly takes up a bit of space in the cabinet doesn't it?!

It is a wide car, for sure.  Would love to see your yellow one - do you have pictures? 

9 hours ago, ChrisR said:

Very nice!

thank you!

6 hours ago, H.A.K said:

Very nice.

Thank you!

3 hours ago, cobraman said:

Looks darn nice to me.

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Jonathan said:

It is a wide car, for sure.  Would love to see your yellow one - do you have pictures?

If you're sure you dont mind.....

IMG_2154.JPG.381a4bc2cad8de39052c40547634f698.JPG

IMG_2163.JPG.67f0ffc9add9e912c8e9c56f44d53144.JPG

Built in the early-mid '90s. I wouldn't do too much different now, just use clear red on the rear lights and attach the windscreen with something more appropriate.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Spottedlaurel said:

If you're sure you dont mind.....

<--snip-->

Built in the early-mid '90s. I wouldn't do too much different now, just use clear red on the rear lights and attach the windscreen with something more appropriate.

That's awesome!  The yellow really suites the car - every picture I've seen of the Mythos makes me think that surely Ferrari didn't have to use "Ferrari Red".  😄

I like the gunmetal treatment of the wheels - really emphasizes their character.  Wish I'd thought of that, especially since I painted the car gray.

I had trouble getting the metal scripts to stay - you can see that I lost the "Ferrari" on the rear between the bench and taking pictures in the kitchen.  Do you recall having trouble getting the head light covers to properly sit?  I see that you had more success than I did with getting the interior tub to sit properly with the body.   Nice build! 

1 hour ago, Jonathan said:

That's awesome!  The yellow really suites the car - every picture I've seen of the Mythos makes me think that surely Ferrari didn't have to use "Ferrari Red".  😄

I like the gunmetal treatment of the wheels - really emphasizes their character.  Wish I'd thought of that, especially since I painted the car gray.

I had trouble getting the metal scripts to stay - you can see that I lost the "Ferrari" on the rear between the bench and taking pictures in the kitchen.  Do you recall having trouble getting the head light covers to properly sit?  I see that you had more success than I did with getting the interior tub to sit properly with the body.   Nice build! 

Thanks Jonathan. It's circa 30 years ago, so I can't remember too much about the detail of the build process, but I guess that I didn't have too much trouble for it still to look like it does and not have been relegated to the parts box!

4 hours ago, atomicholiday said:

Really nice job!  I’ve seen these kits around and always been curious.  I might have to snag one sometime.

Thank you!

I highly recommend you pick one up and build it!  It's molded in red - so plan accordingly.  :)

Edited by Jonathan

4 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Thanks Jonathan. It's circa 30 years ago, so I can't remember too much about the detail of the build process, but I guess that I didn't have too much trouble for it still to look like it does and not have been relegated to the parts box!

I'd proudly display that build in my cabinet.  I think it really stands out in yellow.