Model Cars Magazine Forum

Funny Hobby Lobby Interaction

Jim B

I stopped by my local Hobby Lobby today to pick up the Revell Chevrolet Corvette C7.R (decent kit).  As I was standing in line, the little boy in front of me, who was probably about 4 or 5 years old, asked me what I had.  Well, I'm a nice guy for the most part, so I showed him and told him it was a car.  He then asked me if I was going to drive it, I laughed and I told him "No, it's a little small."  His mother explained to him that it was like a puzzle and that I had to put it together.  He asked me how many pieces, and I told him 64 (after searching the box).  He said that wasn't very many and that his mother did pizzlies with 1000 pieces.  His mom also told him that when he got older, he could build model cars if he wanted to.  Ambassador for the hobby.  Anyway, still waiting in line, his mom & I talked a little about big puzzles, and I told her that my wife had recently completed a 3000-piece puzzle of Beatles songs (it's called A Magical Mystery Tour of 100 Beatles Songs if you're interested).  She was impressed but said she didn't really know that many Beatles songs when the woman behind me chimed in and said that her dad was a huge Beatles fan, and that she only knows one Beatles song: the one she was named for.  The first woman asked, "Penny? Jude?" to which the second woman replied, "Michelle". (The little boy is pretty interested in the conversation, by the way.)  The first woman sad that she didn't know that song, so me being me, I started to sing it: "Michelle, ma belle, Sont les mots qui vont très bien ensemble, Très bien ensemble".  At this point, the little boy looked up at me and asked me if I had a crush on the woman behind me.  Well, we all had a good laugh at that, and I told him that I didn't know her, and she said that she was with her husband.  At this point, I was next at an adjacent register, so I pair for my kit, and got the heck out of Dodge before he could ask me any more questions, or I had to sing any more Beatles songs. :lol:

I just thought people would enjoy that light-hearted story of me waiting in line at Hobby Lobby.

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

Jim where did you get the Beatles puzzle?  I know of I tell any Beatles fans that I know I better have an answer.

Last time i talked to a lady at Hobby Lobby she was with her son, the but did not looked pleased.  I was just giving her advice on what kit to buy for him.  I was asking him but he did not want to answer. Yes she was cute and friendly.  I must have looked funny in my truck laughing by myself when I left.  

• Haha 1

At my age I genuinely enjoy interaction with children of all ages. We must be cautious unfortunately as parents have out of necessity taught their kids about "stranger danger" to keep them safe. I have been a kindergarten mentor at our local school for over 15 years and treasure the times when kids I had years ago will come up and say hello. Most of us only have 18 summers with our children and trust me when I say those go way too quickly.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, misterNNL said:

At my age I genuinely enjoy interaction with children of all ages. We must be cautious unfortunately as parents have out of necessity taught their kids about "stranger danger" to keep them safe. I have been a kindergarten mentor at our local school for over 15 years and treasure the times when kids I had years ago will come up and say hello. Most of us only have 18 summers with our children and trust me when I say those go way too quickly.

Oh, I hear you there, Tom.  I started working at the Middle School (7th & 8th Grade Technology) back in September, and I really enjoy the interactions with my students.  They night be as "innocent" as kindergarteners, but sometimes they have about as much common sense!

My son will be graduating High School this June and my daughter graduated in 2021, so I completely get that the time passes quickly.  I had the pleasure of spending a lot of time with him through Scouts (he earned his Eagle, yes, proud Dad moment), and last winter he & I spent a week in Iceland as a graduation trip.  My daughter is currently a sophomore at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, and a midshipman in Navy ROTC.

On 3/12/2023 at 9:33 PM, 1930fordpickup said:

Jim where did you get the Beatles puzzle?  I know of I tell any Beatles fans that I know I better have an answer.

Last time i talked to a lady at Hobby Lobby she was with her son, the but did not looked pleased.  I was just giving her advice on what kit to buy for him.  I was asking him but he did not want to answer. Yes she was cute and friendly.  I must have looked funny in my truck laughing by myself when I left.  

Sorry for the late reply.  I'm pretty sure my son got the puzzle at Barnes & Noble.

Magical Mystery Tour of 100 Beatles Songs 3000 pc Puzzle by NMR | Barnes & Noble® (barnesandnoble.com)