Model Cars Magazine Forum

64 Thundebolt rebuilder

Modlbldr

3 hours ago, Modlbldr said:

Thank you Michelle and Jim. I appreciate it.

Jim, I just checked out your "Barn find" post.  Beautiful work on that 29!

Later-

Thanks, Tom, I hope you looked at the "RUST" thread.  I got such great reaction to the '29, I figured I should dredge up that old thread for some new activity on it.

• Like 1

Always liked the subtle look of the Thunderbolts. I was at the Winter Nationals in Pamona when they first ran in the NHRA and were mopping up the class and that has always stayed with me, I guess. Wonder about the front wheels? Are they the early Ford wide fives or VW's?  This color would be a good base for some dealership livery or some other sponsor. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, espo said:

Always liked the subtle look of the Thunderbolts. I was at the Winter Nationals in Pamona when they first ran in the NHRA and were mopping up the class and that has always stayed with me, I guess. Wonder about the front wheels? Are they the early Ford wide fives or VW's?  This color would be a good base for some dealership livery or some other sponsor. 

I'm pretty sure they are wide fives. Odd, but I thought they had a nice look. And they are what was on there so i left them.

Later-

15 hours ago, espo said:

Wow, Pamona!  I was watching some of the films of those days on Roku's live TV channel 249 (NHRA channel). The first Winternationals were using flags to start races. FLAGS! Amazing footage. David, do you recall the Tasca Ford car? 

8 hours ago, customline said:

Wow, Pamona!  I was watching some of the films of those days on Roku's live TV channel 249 (NHRA channel). The first Winternationals were using flags to start races. FLAGS! Amazing footage. David, do you recall the Tasca Ford car? 

I think that the Tasca Ford was a brown color with a gold roof, but I would have to look at any of their old photos to know for sure. I do recall that one of the Ford teams had that color combination. As I recall most of the Thunderbolts were built as a white car and the teams would paint their own color schemas unless they had ordered their unit as opposed to getting one of the cars from Fords pool units. This was in the time that manufacturers would sell their race cars to a team for $1.00 if they were a big named driver/team combination. I do remember I couldn't afford food for a week because I spent my money on the tickets to get in.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, espo said:

I think that the Tasca Ford was a brown color with a gold roof, but I would have to look at any of their old photos to know for sure. I do recall that one of the Ford teams had that color combination. As I recall most of the Thunderbolts were built as a white car and the teams would paint their own color schemas unless they had ordered their unit as opposed to getting one of the cars from Fords pool units. This was in the time that manufacturers would sell their race cars to a team for $1.00 if they were a big named driver/team combination. I do remember I couldn't afford food for a week because I spent my money on the tickets to get in.  

That's just amazing you were there for that historic time.