Model Cars Magazine Forum

Waterslide Decal Tips (Waterslide Decals That Overlap Waterslide Decals)

TheCamaroKid

I'm doing a 1999 Dale Earnhardt Bristol Night car (the car he rattled Labonte's cage with). I have 90% of the decals done. The numbers, the Goodwrench, the hood, the rear bumper, the silver and orange (yes it's orange not red) stripes. The only things not done are the small sponsor decals, the 3 for the headlights and the RCR decal for the headlights. Since these decals overlap other decals. Should I put on a light clear coat of what I already have then let it sit and then do these decals? Or just let these cure for a while and then overlap the new decals?

4 hours ago, Dave Van said:

I apply ALL decals then coat with future......always works for me........

MARLIN40d.JPG

So for the overlapping decals, should I just let them sit for 24 hours and then do them? Like on your Coors mountain decals on the side skirts, did you let those sit for a while before you put the sponsor decals of them?

I'm having trouble getting the two stripe decals to stay on the front bumper. 90% of the decals I am using are new Slixx decals, however these two are from the original kit. I used clearcoat on the original decal sheet and used Micro Set on the model and Micro Sol over the decals. However, these two decals keep peeling no matter what I do! Any fix?

This is being built as a slot car. So I will clear coat them. I'm just hoping they stay long enough for me to clear coat!

0313231541.jpg

1 hour ago, TheCamaroKid said:

So for the overlapping decals, should I just let them sit for 24 hours and then do them? Like on your Coors mountain decals on the side skirts, did you let those sit for a while before you put the sponsor decals of them?

Yes....I do allow layer one to dry 12-24 hours (overnight) before I apply a decal over it. Thx

1 hour ago, TheCamaroKid said:

PS as you can see on the above photo, the Micro Set/Micro Sol kind of leaves stains when it runs. Is there a fix for that? Look right above the Goodwrench. Will clearing it just fix that?

After decals have dried for a week I wash the model wih WARM damp paper towel. NOT soaking the decal....more a damp wipe. I find this cleans things up. A NOTE: I use SOLVASET decal set which may differ over Micro stuff. Here is a black car...you can see they will clean up before clear coat. 

DayoThunder51.JPG

Edited by Dave Van

To second what Dave Van said but with MicroSol, after the decals have dried for a couple of days I take a very soft cloth and dampen it and GENTLY wipe away the MicroSol residue. It might take a couple of times of gently wiping, but I've not had a problem of the residue not wiping off.

18 hours ago, sflam123 said:

To second what Dave Van said but with MicroSol, after the decals have dried for a couple of days I take a very soft cloth and dampen it and GENTLY wipe away the MicroSol residue. It might take a couple of times of gently wiping, but I've not had a problem of the residue not wiping off.

Alright, sounds good. I'm probably going to finish Dale tonight or tomorrow night.

• 2 weeks later...