Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24 spoke wheels for Jaguar E-Type and others (3 D printed)

Received these today from Jack Modeling (France) via ebay: very fine spoke wheels with 5 (!) different sets of center locks.

As my first order got lost in the mail, he sent me a second one (+ additional seatbelt buckles and exhaust pipes for free !) - Oh, I forgot to mention that these are available in 8 different sizes (from 14" up to 21")

The set consisted of 7 (!) wheels and 5 to 6 each of 5 different centers! I can't say if this is a precaution because the material might be brittle and prone to breaking if not handled carefully enough (I can't say because I never have worked with 3 D parts until now) .

Anyway, the price of €  5,50 is unbeatable - here is a link :

https://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_dkr=1&iconV2Request=true&_blrs=recall_filtering&_ssn=jack_modelling&_oac=1

Here are some pics taken just now (what you see is what I got): 

P1070717.JPG.ea6f0e7b71da117911945cf906af4c00.JPGP1070718.JPG.2afaf50079e065ea40d3ff9f97214f06.JPGP1070719.JPG.d655be66e9a1df3b263364ebddbbc1a0.JPG

Here is a direct comparison with Aoshima's MGB spoke wheels:

P1070720.JPG.81ebfb3afbd7b939c78dd883f91a8d46.JPG

You may want to give him a try - he also offers other wheels and detailing parts !

P1070721.JPG.f275bcb1b955b2a3c1133918f7027f0c.JPG

Edited by 1959scudetto
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 1959scudetto changed the title to 1/24 spoke wheels for Jaguar E-Type and others (3 D printed)
On 3/13/2023 at 10:46 PM, 250 Testa Rossa said:

Now are these 15" wheels?

The eBay link was to French eBay, but you can just do advanced search on eBay, for seller jack_modelling you will see the listings too.

I just placed an order. In the listing you can select several different sizes.

Edited by peteski

On 3/14/2023 at 3:29 PM, Bugatti Fan said:

There is a company named Motobitz in the UK who also make 3D printed wire wheels for the E Type in 1/24th and 1/32 nd scales.

Those also look good, but why did they print the wheel and tire as a single piece?!  That will make chroming and painting the tire a pain!

I reckon it is because the wheels and the tyres in the Revell kit are both too wide, so it is logical to 3D print the correct tyres with the wheels as Motobitz have no way to mould vinyl tyres.

Painting should not be too difficult. I would paint the tyres first then fine liquid mask them to the wheel rim and then spray the wheels themselves with your preferred chrome finish.

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered March 14th. Delivered to California March 25th. Jaw dropped. Smile wore off sometime late March 27th. 😄

These wheels are simply amazing! Top notch quality, unbeatable price, promptly shipped, excellent customer service. After doing some measuring, I ordered what are deemed to be a scale 17" wheel, which is 18 millimeter. For comparison, many 1/24 scale 15-inch wheels are 17.5 millimeter. Tamiya Morgan wire wheels, as an example. I had these in mind for an Entex TR3. I'm using the tires from a Saico TR3. The Tamiya wheels fit these tires just fine. The 18 millimeter wheels from Jack Modeling do as well, a nice snug fit, not too tight. The super fine spokes, and the amount of open window between them is incredible. I've ordered a few larger sets for use on some Franklin Mint Jaguar SS 100's and a Danbury Mint Alvis. For now, here are some comparison pictures to the Tamiya Morgan wheel. HIGHLY recommended.

20230327_165106.jpg

20230327_165136.jpg

20230327_165154.jpg

20230327_165712.jpg

20230327_165743.jpg

• Like 2

I also bought couple sets last week.  One thing that I noticed in the photos in the eBay listing is that the offset could be more accurate.  What I mean is that the Jaguar XK-E wheel hubs stick out of the wheel further than what the 3D printed wheels depict.  But maybe it is just the photos.  One thing for sure is that the spokes look amazing!

On 3/18/2023 at 6:36 AM, Bugatti Fan said:

I reckon it is because the wheels and the tyres in the Revell kit are both too wide, so it is logical to 3D print the correct tyres with the wheels as Motobitz have no way to mould vinyl tyres.

Painting should not be too difficult. I would paint the tyres first then fine liquid mask them to the wheel rim and then spray the wheels themselves with your preferred chrome finish.

Well, they make other wire wheel and tyre sets where the tyre is printed as a separate item.  I wish they did the same for the Jaguar wheels.  I send my wheels to be vacuum metalized (I don't spray paint them), and I have not problem using hard resin wheels.

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of mock-up shots.

1) Danbury Mint 1934 Alvis Tourer. Wheel is Jack Modeling 21 millimeter. Tire is from a Heller Alfa Romeo Zagato.

2) Franklin Mint Jaguar SS 100. Wheel is Jack Modeling 22 millimeter. Tires are from a Spec Cast model A Ford.

Jack Modeling Alvis.jpg

Jack Modeling Jaguar SS100.jpg

• Like 2

That's a great find Helmut. Finally replacement wire wheels that do not require to mortgage the house! 😉

I will order some today. Meets some of my needs but not all. the 15" (16 mm) will fit the tires of my Revell 300SLR nicely and the style looks a good match. Not sure if the larger 22mm would be ok for my Bentley 4.5 Blower but I might try. 

What I can't really fit is a set for my newly acquired Monogram Ferrari 275 P. The 16mm would appear to be a good fit for the front end but the deeper rears have more of the classic Borrani style and I would need to modify these to work. Decisions, decisions...

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2023 at 2:48 PM, Pierre Rivard said:

That's a great find Helmut. Finally replacement wire wheels that do not require to mortgage the house! 😉

I will order some today. Meets some of my needs but not all. the 15" (16 mm) will fit the tires of my Revell 300SLR nicely and the style looks a good match. Not sure if the larger 22mm would be ok for my Bentley 4.5 Blower but I might try. 

What I can't really fit is a set for my newly acquired Monogram Ferrari 275 P. The 16mm would appear to be a good fit for the front end but the deeper rears have more of the classic Borrani style and I would need to modify these to work. Decisions, decisions...

With your 275 P WIP you show us what can be done with those wheels, Pierre !

• 4 weeks later...