Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rocketfin Hobbies new kits coming !

Mr mopar

I presume the Aoshima wheels would be the set I had in a 1980s Nissan Cedric kit, which I used on a Monogram Corvette:

1:24 Monogram 1965 Corvette kit

They are certainly wide, especially the rears!

1:24 Monogram 1965 Corvette kit

This is before I trimmed off some of the width and found narrower tyres. I kept the fronts as they were.

I really like them and would definitely get another set or two if I had the chance.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Chuck Kourouklis said:

Yup!  DB new for this year (did I see EasyClick somewhere?)

Reboxed (and re-engined?) new '71 Mustang for the Bond version.  Non-exclusive licensing, just like the Round 2 and Revell AG Mandalorian Razor Crest kits, I guess..

I think the level 2 rating should confirm it to be a snapper/clicker.  Looking forward to it along with the new tool '71 Mustang of whatever flavor.

11 hours ago, stavanzer said:

Some kits I noted.

Revell is bringing out another version of their new Landrover tooling, this time with the proper hood with the spare tire on it.

AMT is supposed to issue the old '67 Mercury Cyclone GT kit. That should upset some collectors.

8 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

Has that been verified? Could be the AMT/Ertl kit with retro box art. Or, perhaps a cloned new body, possibly using the remains of the annual kit that didn't get turned into a "Funny car".

7 hours ago, Rodent said:

This is what I thought when I saw that it was coming.

Personally, I wouldn't put much stock in some of those pictures: many of them are obviously placeholders.  Safe bet that Round 2 isn't planning to use that bland '90s box art for the '67 Chevelle and '57 T-bird, or the Model King box art for the '70 Wildcat.

Bet someone just Google searched "AMT 1967 Cyclone" and grabbed a pic of the old annual.  Although, with some of the things Round 2 is doing, it's conceivable that they could add to the Ertl tooling to replicate the old annual.

Also questioning the Revell 1970 Torino GT box art.  I've seen listed elsewhere that it's actually the 1970 Torino Cobra that's getting reissued.  That one is more "due" for a reissue, so that would make more sense.  Probably someone doesn't understand the difference between the GT and Cobra versions.

Edited by Robberbaron

27 minutes ago, Robberbaron said:

Personally, I wouldn't put much stock in some of those pictures: many of them are obviously placeholders.  Safe bet that Round 2 isn't planning to use that bland '90s box art for the '67 Chevelle and '57 T-bird, or the Model King box art for the '70 Wildcat.

Bet someone just Google searched "AMT 1967 Cyclone" and grabbed a pic of the old annual.  Although, with some of the things Round 2 is doing, it's conceivable that they could add to the Ertl tooling to replicate the old annual.

Very, very true. 

16 hours ago, Justin Porter said:

Your local dealer is buying from the wrong distributor if that's the case. I've found that all three are actually highly competitive in shelf price with the current Round 2, Revell, and Moebius pricing. In some cases actually quite a bit lower like with the recent reissue of the Chevy Astro Van by Fujimi.

Do tell? Most of those kits around here, along with Italeri, are running $50-65 a pop.

Charlie Larkin

2 hours ago, charlie8575 said:

Do tell? Most of those kits around here, along with Italeri, are running $50-65 a pop.

Charlie Larkin

Most Aoshima kits are U.S. MSRP'd around $45, which puts them in under the new MSRP at Salvinos. The exception being some of the more licensed full detail kits like the Lamborghini and Pagani kits which are MSRP'd at $75.  Most Italeri kits (other than their semi trucks) should be shelf pricing (the actual price in-store, not MSRP) in the low to mid-40s 

Sounds like the shops up there are price gouging...

Edited by niteowl7710
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, charlie8575 said:

Charlie Larkin

There are certain distributors who set an MSRP for Japanese market kits that have no USA representation for themselves (think in terms of Tamiya USA) at a mark-up above their Japanese market MSRP. Meaning that what shops purchase the kits for is retail price. I fortunately have a distributor that sells Fujimi, Aoshima, Hasegawa, and NuNu to me at closer to the Japanese wholesale rate meaning that most of my kits in that range are on my shelf between $25 to $40. 

The gouging James is referring to happens through those certain distributors who give LHS no other choice than to price uncompetitively when compared to overseas sites like Plaza Japan or HLJ. I admit that I'm no genius. I happened to luck out with this distributor because a manufacturer of highly detailed 1/72nd scale aircraft kits I particularly like told me that they were the exclusive US distributor for their product. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Justin Porter said:

There are certain distributors who set an MSRP for Japanese market kits that have no USA representation for themselves (think in terms of Tamiya USA) at a mark-up above their Japanese market MSRP. Meaning that what shops purchase the kits for is retail price. I fortunately have a distributor that sells Fujimi, Aoshima, Hasegawa, and NuNu to me at closer to the Japanese wholesale rate meaning that most of my kits in that range are on my shelf between $25 to $40. 

The gouging James is referring to happens through those certain distributors who give LHS no other choice than to price uncompetitively when compared to overseas sites like Plaza Japan or HLJ. I admit that I'm no genius. I happened to luck out with this distributor because a manufacturer of highly detailed 1/72nd scale aircraft kits I particularly like told me that they were the exclusive US distributor for their product. 

Yeah but it's not even a question of being competitive with HLJ, 1999 or Plaza Japan, because shipping at this point is almost (or over depending on which freight method you use) $20 per kit, even when ordering in "bulk". Even TamiyaUSA who was famous for doubling their Japanese Price when reselling here has calmed down and prices their kits competitive with the Japanese price plus pre-Covid shipping. 

The $44.99 MSRP I'm quoting is what Stevens is posting for their "run of the mill" Aoshima kits. If you're a LHS (Charle's example, not *you* personally)and you're then shelf pricing your Aoshima kits another $10-15 OVER MSRP when you're getting them at whatever the Stevens Distribution/wholesale price is...sorry but that's price gouging at worst, or preying on uninformed consumers. I've seen a few online retailers say their having a "Big Sale on Tamiya Kits!" - which might technically go against Tamiya's whole MAP thing - to find out the "sale" prices are actually still higher than the same items would cost if you bought them as a consumer directly from the TamiyaUSA website. The normal price being 25-45% HIGHER. It's no wonder a lot of people are under the impression that import kits are crazy high priced, when in fact if you have a good Hobby Shop run by a honest proprietor they're not.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

Yeah but it's not even a question of being competitive with HLJ, 1999 or Plaza Japan, because shipping at this point is almost (or over depending on which freight method you use) $20 per kit, even when ordering in "bulk". Even TamiyaUSA who was famous for doubling their Japanese Price when reselling here has calmed down and prices their kits competitive with the Japanese price plus pre-Covid shipping. 

The $44.99 MSRP I'm quoting is what Stevens is posting for their "run of the mill" Aoshima kits. If you're a LHS (Charle's example, not *you* personally)and you're then shelf pricing your Aoshima kits another $10-15 OVER MSRP when you're getting them at whatever the Stevens Distribution/wholesale price is...sorry but that's price gouging at worst, or preying on uninformed consumers. I've seen a few online retailers say their having a "Big Sale on Tamiya Kits!" - which might technically go against Tamiya's whole MAP thing - to find out the "sale" prices are actually still higher than the same items would cost if you bought them as a consumer directly from the TamiyaUSA website. The normal price being 25-45% HIGHER. It's no wonder a lot of people are under the impression that import kits are crazy high priced, when in fact if you have a good Hobby Shop run by a honest proprietor they're not.

Oh I am 300% with you on how often you run across predatory import kit pricing in LHS regardless of MSRP. Even using Stevens as a guideline, we can look at Tamiya's evergreen full detail Nissan Skyline R32 GT-R (#24090). MSRP on that kit is $24. I have seen, when out-of-town and visiting other shops for my own building as well as scouting for ideas for what I might not be doing in my own shop, I've seen it marked as high as $40 "because it's Tamiya." I often wonder if it's a byproduct of a certain amount of laziness on the part of these shop owners because then they can continue to trundle along, blindly ordering cases of Revell and AMT and turning them without having to learn or cross-shop additional product lines. 

Sooo...

Does this signal the return of the 90's 1967 Comet or the 60's 1967 Comet?  My bet would be on the 90's, as I'm guessing the body for the 60's version was modified for the AWB Comet Funny Car/Street Freak.

Here's hoping that the 1960 Ford truck has the original decals and the Kustom parts!

On 3/14/2023 at 11:45 PM, Exotics_Builder said:

I can check on what the tires look like on Firestone, Goodyear or Mickey Thompson.  I have these remaining in the tire stash

SAM_2579.JPG

SAM_2581.JPG

I have a set of the Cragars with the Firestones.  The lettering is great but the sidewalls are literally flat.  I had set of the MIckey Thompsons, and I liked those a lot better.  Unfortunately I sold the model I put them on. 

• Like 1

On 3/15/2023 at 1:25 AM, Richard Bartrop said:

The Bomarc has my attention, especially if Canadian markings are an option.

This one is interesting, considering Atlantis said it wasn't viable.

doll-hobby-sealab-aurora.jpg.1426e698902c9fa92d72d1bdaa24253c.jpg

Nice to see someone thinks they can make it work.

I'm in for the Bomarc as well. If the Atlantis version doesn't have Canadian Markings, let me know. I've got a couple extra sets from the Revell reissue I won't be using.

The Sealab is a project of CultTVMan, I'm tempted to grab one!

57 minutes ago, Exotics_Builder said:

I remember building the Aurora Sea Lab and giving a stash of my models built and unbuilt to my cousin as I was deeply engrossed in college.  Be a nostalgic thing to do it again (photo found on web)

Aurora Sealab III

What a Treasure Trove of parts for the Sci-Fi or Whiffer Scratch Builder!

2 hours ago, RSchnell said:

I'm in for the Bomarc as well. If the Atlantis version doesn't have Canadian Markings, let me know. I've got a couple extra sets from the Revell reissue I won't be using.

The Sealab is a project of CultTVMan, I'm tempted to grab one!

Start saving the dinero:  see description

https://atlantis-models.com/preorder-boeing-im-99-bomarc-missile-with-launch-platform1-56/

On 3/16/2023 at 8:46 AM, Justin Porter said:

Good information to know; and all the stores around here are doing it.

So, full disclosure, I'm looking very seriously at opening a hobby shop myself because there isn't one in this area, and where I'm within an hour of nearly 20 colleges, one fairly large city, and about a dozen smaller cities and major towns without much in the way of hobbies, gaming or similar products to serve them, I think I stand a fair to middling chance of doing okay; perhaps not fabulously wealthy, but enough, and perhaps more importantly, I'll like going to work. Where one major store will also probably be closing due to retirement in the next year or two, my goal is to help fill the shoes.

When I managed that same store a few years ago, I saw a lot of issues with distribution and pricing, both from distributors and the ownership. I don't like getting cranked, and I don't like the idea of cranking my customers, so anything I can do to make a decent margin and provide value is top of my consideration.

Charlie Larkin

• Like 1

8 hours ago, charlie8575 said:

Good information to know; and all the stores around here are doing it.

So, full disclosure, I'm looking very seriously at opening a hobby shop myself because there isn't one in this area, and where I'm within an hour of nearly 20 colleges, one fairly large city, and about a dozen smaller cities and major towns without much in the way of hobbies, gaming or similar products to serve them, I think I stand a fair to middling chance of doing okay; perhaps not fabulously wealthy, but enough, and perhaps more importantly, I'll like going to work. Where one major store will also probably be closing due to retirement in the next year or two, my goal is to help fill the shoes.

When I managed that same store a few years ago, I saw a lot of issues with distribution and pricing, both from distributors and the ownership. I don't like getting cranked, and I don't like the idea of cranking my customers, so anything I can do to make a decent margin and provide value is top of my consideration.

Charlie Larkin

That being the case, I'd probably recommend getting in touch with Lightspeed Global USA. They're a very effective distributor for imported kits and merchandise. Stevens International is one of the biggest guns in the hobby for distribution. You almost practically can't operate without them. lol I've also had great standing operations with Hobbtyme, Emery Distributors, and Heartland Hobby Wholesale. Having a broad pool of distributors can help a ton especially when trying to plug stock gaps and for ensuring you can bring product to your shelf most reasonably. 

Biggest suggestion too, get familiar with distributors' free shipping thresholds. If you can plump an order up to cross that threshold, you don't burn your admittedly thin margin paying to get the product to your door.

• Like 1

Is no one going to remark on Evil Iron being reissued?

I believe that was a one and done from back in the day. Those big trike kits were always something I drooled over but never got until one Cristmas saw my aunt Claire give me a Dragon Fire.

I for one hope they dig em all out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dragline said:

Is no one going to remark on Evil Iron being reissued?

I believe that was a one and done from back in the day. Those big trike kits were always something I drooled over but never got until one Cristmas saw my aunt Claire give me a Dragon Fire.

I for one hope they dig em all out.

Once in that boxing, and then reissued around 1993 as the "Ghost Rider".

On 3/16/2023 at 5:01 PM, JJ Deuce said:

I have a set of the Cragars with the Firestones.  The lettering is great but the sidewalls are literally flat.  I had set of the MIckey Thompsons, and I liked those a lot better.  Unfortunately I sold the model I put them on. 

As good as the MRC wheels were (best Keystones evarrrr, although only available in one width) the tires all had really flat sidewalls, which detracted from the overall look.  Their Mickey Thompson sidewalls were laughable because of the way they spaced the words.  (maybe someone can post a picture).  If you need M/Ts, I believe the AMT '70 Camaro has a decent set (rears only if memory serves).