Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rocketfin Hobbies new kits coming !

Mr mopar

2 hours ago, Monty said:

As good as the MRC wheels were (best Keystones evarrrr, although only available in one width) the tires all had really flat sidewalls, which detracted from the overall look.  Their Mickey Thompson sidewalls were laughable because of the way they spaced the words.  (maybe someone can post a picture).  If you need M/Ts, I believe the AMT '70 Camaro has a decent set (rears only if memory serves).   

Well, I used the slotted style wheels with the BFG tires and they look pretty good to me. These came in the plastic bags, not in the boxes like the ones shown. So they might be older. 

Van In 09 001.jpg

Van In 09 011.jpg

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Justin Porter said:

That being the case, I'd probably recommend getting in touch with Lightspeed Global USA. They're a very effective distributor for imported kits and merchandise. Stevens International is one of the biggest guns in the hobby for distribution. You almost practically can't operate without them. lol I've also had great standing operations with Hobbtyme, Emery Distributors, and Heartland Hobby Wholesale. Having a broad pool of distributors can help a ton especially when trying to plug stock gaps and for ensuring you can bring product to your shelf most reasonably. 

Biggest suggestion too, get familiar with distributors' free shipping thresholds. If you can plump an order up to cross that threshold, you don't burn your admittedly thin margin paying to get the product to your door.

Very familiar with Hobbytyme. Nice people and great to deal with. Stevens was good, too.

We used to use Squadron for a lot of the specialty military stuff and the occasional good deal on other things. Too bad they folded. Their books are great. I wonder if the publishing rights are available? I know a few people who might be able to help get them into print.

Stevens is pretty good, too, and yes, it's very difficult to run a store without them as a primary distributor.

We also had a small local distributor. They went under some major (and not good) changes. I was planning to use them, now, not so much.

Trying to put the money together now. Hopefully fall opening at this point. Maybe sooner if things line up right.

Charlie Larkin

1 hour ago, Daddyfink said:

Well, I used the slotted style wheels with the BFG tires and they look pretty good to me. These came in the plastic bags, not in the boxes like the ones shown. So they might be older. 

Van In 09 001.jpg

Van In 09 011.jpg

I believe Arii made those tires and wheels

bb182.jpg

• Like 2

On 3/20/2023 at 8:31 PM, Monty said:

I believe Arii made those tires and wheels

bb182.jpg

You are correct! Those are it! Wish these would come back, they are so much nicer than the current ones being offered. I thought they where part of the MRC line, but it has been a while since I have played with them. 

Their Turbine Wheels are also very nicely done. 

VanCraze17.jpg

Edited by Daddyfink

Those ARII tire/wheel sets show up fairly regularly on eBay (and my automatic search still works for them), and they usually sell for reasonable prices.  I already have my stash, but it took few years.  They are very nice rubber BFG tires with realistic tread pattern.  The wheels are pretty good too. They are 1:24 scale but that is not really big deal for wheels or tires.  They just represent slightly bigger wheels in 1:25 scale.

I saw this one looking through the kits they have listed. Pretty certain it's not going to be this kit but the Ertl era kit. It would be great if they added the extra parts to build this version to the Ertl kit. Roll bar, injection set up, headers, Cammer maybe, wheels decals ect

FB_IMG_1679714739841.jpg

11 hours ago, Sledsel said:

I saw this one looking through the kits they have listed. Pretty certain it's not going to be this kit but the Ertl era kit. It would be great if they added the extra parts to build this version to the Ertl kit. Roll bar, injection set up, headers, Cammer maybe, wheels decals ect

FB_IMG_1679714739841.jpg

I saw that box, and assumed it might be the old kit. New Kit makes more sense.  They may not even use this box art.

We should know in about a year, what is in the box.