Model Cars Magazine Forum

13 hours ago, cobraman said:

Not only am I not an airplane builder but I am also not a figure builder/painter but here I am . Needs a little touch up and a shot of dull coat . 

08220FB7-D1B6-4229-85E0-5C59EE919E1C.jpeg

Give him a good dark wash to define lines and add shadows before you dullcoat him. Don't be afraid of overdoing it since it will become much more subtle when he is in the cockpit.

PICTURES ARE AN EXAMPLE ONLY

51093410487_de3839e75f_c.jpg

51094133475_2db5a614fd_b.jpg

51093871553_bdebc63208_b.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cobraman said:

Thanks for the tip. I cleared it before I read this so it may be too late. I guess you won't see him too well when in the cockpit.

You can do it over the flat clear. Sometimes even works better really.

Slow going on this one . Life has a way of side tracking you . Got 15 steps out of 74 done . Some very tiny PE parts that I am having problems with but will push forward . I ordered all the paints that the instructions called out for so I hope to be getting that right at least . Thanks for looking . 

BFBFA47B-1797-4179-946C-0942A48972BD.jpeg

0C54C406-A6D0-41CE-85A8-6E989752A535.jpeg

8 minutes ago, cobraman said:

I have seen that done but I'm sure I could not pull that off.

It is really REALLY easy to do but not sure I would want to know what it would cost for enough to do a 1/32 P-51! That would be a pile of foil.

looks pretty good to me! Nothing wrong with your figure painting either. I'm also trying to learn how to paint figures as I genuinely suck at them. I read a good tip which was to spray the figure black from the underside (toe to head) and white looking down (Head to toe) then paint the figures using a very thinned down paint mix and dry brushing. I'm finding I am getting better results this way

12 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

You sure chose the right kit to go with on a Mustang build. You just can't go wrong with a Tamiya kit. Pretty much drop the box on the floor and watch it all fall together. lol.

I'll be watching in on this build in which you're doing great with it bud.

Looks as if he's already had a couple of major issues...

Was a bit surprised to see a Tamiya kit with filler on it. That is almost unheard of! Never built that one so looked it up. It isn't an old kit but most build reviews say it is a very tricky one to get right as it has all sorts of interchangeable modules and magnetic closures and such. 

Looked like a hard pass for me and I have done loads of aircraft. 

2 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Ha Ray, yer finding a different world (of modelling) there aren't you!!😉😊

Yes sir !  In my 60 years of building models I have built cars, trucks, airplanes, boats, ships, subs, tanks ect. I just always enjoy building. That is coming to and end soon. I have given up the hobby a few times in my years for one reason or another but this time is different. I have one large project for when this one is done and I think that will be it for me.

2 hours ago, Tcoat said:

Was a bit surprised to see a Tamiya kit with filler on it. That is almost unheard of! Never built that one so looked it up. It isn't an old kit but most build reviews say it is a very tricky one to get right as it has all sorts of interchangeable modules and magnetic closures and such. 

Looked like a hard pass for me and I have done loads of aircraft. 

Ya, there are about a dozen or so magnets. I installed them but opted to not have removable panels. I am also doing the model with wheels up so it makes it a bit more easy.  Had 2 main problems . first the two body halves did not want to fit together and second, the wings did not want to mate to the body. I actually had to grind the bottom of the cockpit to get it to fit.  Perhaps I had put something together wrong ?  Would not be the first time. 😀