Model Cars Magazine Forum

ISO 1981 Ford Mustang

The 79-81 Mustangs are all pretty much the same so it really depends on which grille and engine you want. The MPC pace car kit probably has the most build options since it has the standard front valance and the pace car air dam. It also has the 4 cylinder and a v8. It just locks you into the bar style pace car grille.

Here's an 81 I built from the Monogram red 79 kit. It has the v8 from the Pace Car version and the chassis plate and dual exhaust from the 90 convertible. I cut the T tops since the Monogram kit doesn't have them.

20221124_132107.jpg.fb7e73fd3c8e2ad5a851ae1f5b6be52f.jpg20221124_132320.thumb.jpg.95868ee422341a6850d3f5e226bd39ca.jpg

20221008_093244.jpg

• Like 2

That's a nice build there Brian! I really have to appreciate your work with cutting the T- tops on the car. For the project I have in mind I'll need the hardtop. I hadn't really considered the grille options... In my mind I saw the front clip being part of the mold. It does make sense to just have a 81 front clip/grille and search all 3 years for the best body kit... Then if need be a 81 grille. 

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction it is truly appreciated 👍

Cheers, Adam

4 hours ago, pontiac.maniac said:

That's a nice build there Brian! I really have to appreciate your work with cutting the T- tops on the car. For the project I have in mind I'll need the hardtop. I hadn't really considered the grille options... In my mind I saw the front clip being part of the mold. It does make sense to just have a 81 front clip/grille and search all 3 years for the best body kit... Then if need be a 81 grille. 

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction it is truly appreciated 👍

Cheers, Adam

Thank you, yeah, cutting the T tops in a getting rare and never coming back kit was intense. 

For the MPC kits the grille is molded into the main body shell, on the Monogram kits the front fascia is a separate piece. Unfortunately, they're different scales so you can't really swap parts between them. The egg crate and bar grilles are both correct for an 81 depending on the model and options. Another difference between the kits is the spoiler is separate on the MPC kits but molded to the body in the Monogram versions.

So, pick the front end, hood, engine, and spoiler or not and that will give you an idea which kit will get you closest.

6 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

Thank you, yeah, cutting the T tops in a getting rare and never coming back kit was intense. 

For the MPC kits the grille is molded into the main body shell, on the Monogram kits the front fascia is a separate piece. Unfortunately, they're different scales so you can't really swap parts between them. The egg crate and bar grilles are both correct for an 81 depending on the model and options. Another difference between the kits is the spoiler is separate on the MPC kits but molded to the body in the Monogram versions.

So, pick the front end, hood, engine, and spoiler or not and that will give you an idea which kit will get you closest.

I completely understand the intensity part of a rare kit. My skills aren't expert and I'm trying to create a pro stock mustang. With all that said there has to be somewhat of a budget or just take awhile to put the dream together and build other kits while putting all the groundwork into creating the mustang. 

Thanks for all your help Brian. I'm starting to get the idea that scale model building as a hobby is a lot like building a real car!

Cheers,Adam

28 minutes ago, gray07 said:

wasnt there a red monagram one

Yes, there's a red monogram one in the "red hot thunderbird" kit. It's 1:24 scale. The Mustang model kit will be 1:25. Don't think being an engine that it would make that much of a difference. I'm going to go with one out of a Bob Glidden Thunderbird kit due to the design of the motor plate. I was thinking that there would maybe be an actual engine to scale. It does make sense it's just going to be a mold of a 429.

14 hours ago, gray07 said:

wasnt there a red monagram one

Sorry for the other response about the engine. I was confused on the subject. I'm also looking at model kits to figure out an engine.

To your post, there is a red monogram kit,a pace car kit, snakebite kit,a wild breed kit,and if you're really lucky there's a motorcraft dealer item only mustang kit from monogram. 

I've been doing a lot of research trying to figure out the perfect kit.

On 3/16/2023 at 12:56 AM, pontiac.maniac said:

I completely understand the intensity part of a rare kit. My skills aren't expert and I'm trying to create a pro stock mustang. With all that said there has to be somewhat of a budget or just take awhile to put the dream together and build other kits while putting all the groundwork into creating the mustang. 

Thanks for all your help Brian. I'm starting to get the idea that scale model building as a hobby is a lot like building a real car!

Cheers,Adam

Which pro stock Mustang are you trying to make?