Model Cars Magazine Forum

Full repaint or not?

Hi all.

I need some advice on best way to fix this paint finish.

Ghost seams, now only visible after the gloss coat was applied and here is them finally removed.

But will a partial re -coat finish this to a good standard or a full recoat will be needed? The cowl area will be black, no problem there.

But I assume there will be a tonal difference on the roof and hood?

Paint is the (pricey) Tamiya TS rattlecan.

IMG_20230316_152458.jpg

IMG_20230316_152531.jpg

1 hour ago, DiscoRover007 said:

What kind of clear coat were you using? 

No clear coat yet.

And the roof flaps, that is excess putty/primer removed. What you see there is now actually level.

It now does pass the fingernail test!

My new dehydrator, just two hours of use and it caused all of the ghost seams to appear. I think due to the various fillers finally drying out, though they are already two months old.

Milliput and ca glue/talc was used.

The car's paint had already air dried naturally for a week and only one faint roof seam was visible, which is annoying.

Edited by D.Pack

9 hours ago, D.Pack said:

No clear coat yet.

And the roof flaps, that is excess putty/primer removed. What you see there is now actually level.

It now does pass the fingernail test!

My new dehydrator, just two hours of use and it caused all of the ghost seams to appear. I think due to the various fillers finally drying out, though they are already two months old.

Milliput and ca glue/talc was used.

The car's paint had already air dried naturally for a week and only one faint roof seam was visible, which is annoying.

Don't think the dehydrator caused the issue , the paint just dried further. What sandpaper grits did you use when sanding the mold lines.

Also did you use primer. You might have seen the mold lines before your final color.

Edited by bobthehobbyguy