Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chaparral 2D at 1966 Daytona 24 hours

A quick build of 3 weeks (quick for me...) of the surprising Monogram kit with a scary part count of 36!

The kit is a very basic curbside i.e. no chassis or engine but the body was cast in a splendid way. I only did a few upgrades, all cooled up from the old spares box: deeper rear wheels, engine plate & intake stacks, oil cooler and dressing up the interior a bit.

Vallejo primer and color coat, Tamiya X22 clear and Future seal coat over decals all brush painted.

I highly recommend the kit. It's old and very basic but it holds up well in the display cabinet next to the other newly tooled kits. I enjoyed it so much that the Ferrari 275P is on my Ebay watch list

Chaparral 1.jpg

Chaparral 2.jpg

Chaparral 3.jpg

Chaparral 4.jpg

Chaparral 5.jpg

Chaparral 6.jpg

Chaparral 7.jpg

Chaparral 8.jpg

Chaparral 9.jpg

Chaparral 10.jpg

Chaparral 11.jpg

Chaparral 12.jpg

Chaparral 13.jpg

Chaparral 14.jpg

• Like 9

Thank you gentlemen. As simple as the kit was it was easy to make it look like the real car. With some of the inexpensive kits, no matter how much work we put into them it's impossible to shake the "toy" look. Not the case here because the body & glass have been cast very well and I was surprised how the old tooling has held up.

So now the new born baby Chaparral holds center stage in my display cabinet, until the next new born displaces it.

Enjoy center stage little Chapy, your's for about 2 months.

Display Cabinet.jpg

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Pierre Rivard said:

Thank you gentlemen. As simple as the kit was it was easy to make it look like the real car. With some of the inexpensive kits, no matter how much work we put into them it's impossible to shake the "toy" look. Not the case here because the body & glass have been cast very well and I was surprised how the old tooling has held up.

So now the new born baby Chaparral holds center stage in my display cabinet, until the next new born displaces it.

Enjoy center stage little Chapy, your's for about 2 months.

Display Cabinet.jpg

Nice company!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Rich Chernosky said:

Very nice job on this one Pierre. Always enjoy your WIP's very informative....even for us "old timers"  One is never too old to learn something new. This hobby teaches me this every day.  A cool collection too.

I feel like I receive more than what I give on the WIP's I do because I receive help and advice from the more experienced builders, saving me from going the wrong way sometimes. And if I occasionally come up wit a good indie that can help others I am happy about that too.

Win - win!

Wow, you finished this one quickly, Pierre, but with the same perfect results. Paint is smooth as ever and not a hint of a brush mark. Love the details you added like the driver. The chapparal gave chevy fans something to root for back in the sixtys when they were pretty much out of the game in Nascar.