Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1969 Chevelle SS-396

AMT68

First build of the 1/25 scale Revell '69 Chevelle SS-396 and it's been painted in Tamiya TS-39 Mica Red and cleared with TS-13. Overall I felt it was an excellent kit with a high level of detail including decals for the fan belt which for me was a first. I found the body to chassis fit to be tighter than the Revell '66 GTO and it likewise required no glue. The metal pins that connect the wheels to the axles are the best I've ever encountered building model cars. The only significant fitment issue I encountered was with the back bumper/taillight assembly. I opened the taillight housings as much as possible and back filed the taillights but still didn't get the assembly recessed as much as would've liked. So for anyone who has built this kit any feedback or tips for a better fit if possible would be appreciated since I have three more of these kits to build.

DSC_5596.JPG

DSC_5618.JPG

DSC_5624.JPG

DSC_5613.JPG

DSC_5697.JPG

DSC_5893.JPG

DSC_5820.JPG

• Like 6

Awesome job on a great kit. That color is sweet - definitely gonna pick some up for a future build.

You’re right, the tail end on this one is really it’s only major fault. Sanding it out the way you did and adding a bit of styrene to the side section of the tail where it meets the bumper is really the only way to get it looking more accurate. Still looks amazing though - great job. 

21 hours ago, Hard_2_Handle_454 said:

Excellent work.  Same colors I did mine in. 

20 hours ago, 70 Sting said:

Nicely done, beautiful paint and finish.💯

19 hours ago, Rattlecan Dan said:

Very Pretty! And Very Realistic! You Aced this one for sure! Thanks for posting.

20 hours ago, charger74 said:

Very well done 👍🏻👍🏻

Thanks for your comments Eric, Harry, Dan, and Eric.

19 hours ago, michelle said:

great job it looks nice 

14 hours ago, ChrisR said:

Looks great!

14 hours ago, TooOld said:

Absolutely beautiful Chevelle , well done Tom !  I've overlooked this kit but you've sold me , I'm getting one very soon !

12 hours ago, yellowsportwagon said:

Really nice build!!

11 hours ago, Tom99 said:

Very nice!

Thanks Michelle, Chris, Tim, and Tom.

Thanks Bob, I picked up a couple of these upon their initial release and was waiting for my skills to improve before building the kit. 

10 hours ago, crazyjim said:

Sweet, clean, and SHINY 😀😀😀

9 hours ago, Joe Nunes said:

Very nice and the color combination is a great choice. Well done!  👍

Joe

7 hours ago, Hi-Po said:

Very nice!  Neat and clean with great attention to detail.  I like it.

5 hours ago, SpikeSchumacher said:

Very nice Tom!

Thank you Jim, Joe, Terry and Mathias. 

10 hours ago, radiohd10 said:

Awesome job on a great kit. That color is sweet - definitely gonna pick some up for a future build.

You’re right, the tail end on this one is really it’s only major fault. Sanding it out the way you did and adding a bit of styrene to the side section of the tail where it meets the bumper is really the only way to get it looking more accurate. Still looks amazing though - great job. 

Thanks Ryan, I've grown quite fond of this color and plan to use it again. It does seem the taillight section is simply too wide for the body. 

4 hours ago, Jim B said:

Fantastic looking Chevelle.

3 hours ago, DanL said:

Looks great... chrome work is excellent

Cheers

Thanks Jim and Dan. The chrome work is very vital to the overall appearance. 

6 hours ago, espo said:

Beautiful looking paint work and clean body trim. Like the cleaner, no stripes look. Any engine detail photos?

Thanks David and I did debate using the bodyside stripes but as you've mentioned I ultimately decided to go with the cleaner look. I won't necessarily rule them out on future builds.

16 hours ago, XYHARRY said:

Nice Chevelle Tom. That colour combo looks great. If you don't mind, could you post a picture of the engine compartment. 

Cheers, David. 😎👍

Thank you David, I always feel the white or off white interiors really pop especially in the sun.

And since you and David (espo) asked I've included an engine shot along with a couple of indoor pictures of the car in the meanwhile. While I take care to produce neatly built engine compartments I don't always show them since I don't build them up beyond what the kit provides. While I do have 30AWG wrapping wire for plug wires I really haven't advanced to the point of adding that and other underhood detailing. As a result I feel my engine compartments pale in comparison to some of the highly detailed examples I see here.  I did make an attempt at a fuel line on this one. 

DSC_6114 - Copy.JPG

DSC_6038 - Copy.JPG

DSC_6128 - Copy.JPG

Edited by AMT68
  • Like 3