Model Cars Magazine Forum

Review of Revell's new chrome spray paint

I posted this strictly as info for people looking for a good spray chrome.  While I agree that the price seems fairly high, some might say the quality is worth it.  I wish they'd offer it in a jar so I could just airbrush it.  

From what I've read and watched, I doubt any hobby-level chrome will take much handling without eroding the finish, and so far there doesn't seem to be a clear that doesn't reduce the reflectivity to some extent.   

This appears to be a great chrome paint for kits that are mainly built to be  displayed, and not handled much.  

• Like 2

Looks pretty dang good.

Being able to work over bare plastic with no black undercoat is a time saver, and there's no cost for the black stuff.

Also looks like after a couple days dry time, it's plenty tough to be handled enough to assemble, especially if wearing soft gloves.

Under the circumstances. I don't see any drawback whatsoever to the fact that it can't be cleared.

• Like 6

$35???? Damn

I got the same results with Spaz Stix that you did. It reacted with its own brand of backer. And it was meh over other black backers.  It seemed to like going over black paint with 2k clear, but thats a lot of work.

I have had the best resullts with SMS Hyperchrome so far. And you can spray SMS over any color as long at it is glossy and smooth. I even used black primer, Mr Hobby spray can clear to get it smooth, and then SMS Hyperchrome and it turned out pretty good.

And the SMS Hyperchome is 1/4 the price of this new Revell stuff.

• Like 1

Another arrow in the quiver. I'll give the Revell stuff a shot at some point. When I started in this hobby, "chrome" paint was the holy grail. Now we have so many choices that it's tough to keep track of them all. 

I never got along well with Alclad. When Molotow came out I never looked back. The durability of the finish never bothered me, as a builder it's just a matter of planning your work accordingly. I still use BMF for window frames, body trim etc. and save Molotow for the parts that don't get handled quite as much. I did buy some cotton "inspection gloves" for when I handle these parts. 

If this stuff is as good as it looks, then it's got a valuable niche in the modeling ecosystem. $35 seems like a lot of money for a small can of paint but is it really? How many bumpers and grilles can you do with that can? Molotow refills for airbrushing are about $30. You'll get more bang for your buck with the Molotow but you also need to have an airbrushing setup. 

Honestly, any method of applying realistic chrome trim to a model car is going to have its downside. BMF is tricky to apply and one slip of the X-Acto will ruin your paint. Alclad goes from chrome to flat silver if you put on one too many coats. You can't handle Molotow more than a little after assembly. The Revell stuff is expensive and also doesn't like much handling. But they all have upsides too, and each have a place on the workbench. 

• Like 3

I just bought a molotow refill that I haven’t had the opportunity to spray yet, so I’m not gonna buy it, even if one of my two local shops decides to stock it. I prefer foil, but that don’t work too good on compound curves.😕

20 hours ago, ctruss53 said:

$35???? Damn

I got the same results with Spaz Stix that you did. It reacted with its own brand of backer. And it was meh over other black backers.  It seemed to like going over black paint with 2k clear, but thats a lot of work.

I have had the best resullts with SMS Hyperchrome so far. And you can spray SMS over any color as long at it is glossy and smooth. I even used black primer, Mr Hobby spray can clear to get it smooth, and then SMS Hyperchrome and it turned out pretty good.

And the SMS Hyperchome is 1/4 the price of this new Revell stuff.

Have you tried alclads gloss black base? Spaz stix works great over that.  

11 hours ago, Dpate said:

Have you tried alclads gloss black base? Spaz stix works great over that.  

My problem is why would other peoples black base work better than the black base made by the people that make the chrome.

And Spaz Stix is expensive in spray cans too.

I have had best luck with SMS

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ctruss53 said:

My problem is why would other peoples black base work better than the black base made by the people that make the chrome.

And Spaz Stix is expensive in spray cans too.

I have had best luck with SMS

I'm not sure how or why that works, but i know the airbrush version never gave me any issues over alclad black base.  That's the only gloss black base i use for everything chrome or metallics that needs it.  Glosses up like no bodies business, and don't even need a lot of it.  I have tried spaz stix black base before though, before finding alclad's gloss black base, and i couldn't get the spax stix black base to gloss up.  The 2 bottles i had of it i threw in the trash, and never looked back.  SMS is great stuff so if there chrome works for you, and give you the results you want? Than that's all that matter.

Edited by Dpate

2 hours ago, Dpate said:

I'm not sure how or why that works, but i know the airbrush version never gave me any issues over alclad black base.  That's the only gloss black base i use for everything chrome or metallics that needs it.  Glosses up like no bodies business, and don't even need a lot of it.  I have tried spaz stix black base before though, before finding alclad's gloss black base, and i couldn't get the spax stix black base to gloss up.  The 2 bottles i had of it i threw in the trash, and never looked back.  SMS is great stuff so if there chrome works for you, and give you the results you want? Than that's all that matter.

Photos?

Patiently waiting for my LHS to get some of this. Looks like the dam may be breaking and the stuff is finally becoming available in the US.

Based on the video it looks very promising. The ease of Molotow, but very possibly more durable. Can't wait to spray some and then stick it in the dehydrator to bake it on. That should give the ultimate durable finish.

• Like 1

My local hobby shop carrys the Revell rattle cans so next time I'm there I'll see if he has it.  Don't think I'll buy any at that price but just curious to see if it's available.  I've been airbrushing the Molotow liquid chrome and haven't had any issues yet.  Of coarse I try not to handle it to much.

• 1 month later...

I tried watching the video but found them too friggin' ponderous. It has one thing in common with a lot of other reviews; too much hand waving and useless gum flapping. It's a technique similar to what Three-card Monte dealers in NYC do to distract suckers. The video presentation is too long at almost 25 minutes. It took over seven minutes before he actually tested it. The entire review could have been accomplished in 10-15 minutes if not for all of the peripheral asides.  IMO, not worth the money. As seen in the video, it's not that durable, prone to scratching and it can't be sealed with any type of clearcoat without affecting it. I know some of you are tired of me saying it; but, save up some money and get a 6oz. container of Alsa Easy Chrome. It doesn't scratch or rub off and, if you think it necessary, can be clearcoated with Alclad Aqua Gloss Clear.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

I tried watching the video but found them too friggin' ponderous. It has one thing in common with a lot of other reviews; too much hand waving and useless gum flapping. It's a technique similar to what Three-card Monte dealers in NYC do to distract suckers. The video presentation is too long at almost 25 minutes. It took over seven minutes before he actually tested it. The entire review could have been accomplished in 10-15 minutes if not for all of the peripheral asides.  IMO, not worth the money. As seen in the video, it's not that durable, prone to scratching and it can't be sealed with any type of clearcoat without affecting it. I know some of you are tired of me saying it; but, save up some money and get a 6oz. container of Alsa Easy Chrome. It doesn't scratch or rub off and, if you think it necessary, can be clearcoated with Alclad Aqua Gloss Clear.

I just tried mine Joe. It's only been sprayed about 6 hours ago and I couldn't rub it off. Probably be even more durable after it's completely dry.

• Like 2

Joe.   Alsa Easy Chrome.

Not heard of or seen that one over here in the UK.   

Is it an aerosol or bottled product aimed at the modelling or DIY craft market?

Your comment about the video is true about many videos where the presenter just waffles on instead of cutting to the chase!  They say very little but talk a lot on many I have watched. The opening the box ones are the worst in this respect.

Edited by Bugatti Fan
  • Like 1

Alsa Easy Chrome has multiple uses, from automotive to hobbies. Check it out at this link, Noel. Click on Easy Chrome 6oz. for the price. It's available in aerosol cans; however, that option is better for large things as seen on that page. The problem with using aerosol cans to spray small parts is product waste in the form of overspray. The 6oz. can is much more economical in the long run because you only use what you need, overspray is drastically reduced and you can pour any unused amounts back into the can.

Steve might have different results regarding Revell Chrome Spray's durability; but, seeing that the reviewer was able to scratch it off fairly easily, makes it a deal breaker for me.

Edited by SfanGoch

Why in Tarnation is there such a rush to Clearcoat your Chrome?

Clear Coats yellow, and dull, after time. Too Many coats of finish begin to Blur and Obscure.

17 Layers might be fine for real 1 to 1 cars , but I think that many of today's Modelers have an obsession with finishes that might be  a bit obsessive.

Spray, your chrome of choice, install it, and be done. 

• Like 1